|Directed by||Yevgeni Yevtushenko|
|Written by||Yevgeni Yevtushenko|
|Narrated by||Vsevolod Larionov|
|Music by||Charlie Chaplin|
|Edited by||Eleonora Praksina|
Stalin's Funeral (Russian: Похороны Сталина, translit. Pokhorony Stalina) is a 1990 Soviet drama film written and directed by the famous poet, Yevgeni Yevtushenko. The film stars the British actress, Vanessa Redgrave.
1953, USSR. Moscow bids farewell to Joseph Stalin. In the funeral crowd, Zhenya gets acquainted with Eli. Over the long hours spent in the funeral procession, they had time to learn a lot about each other, but Elya absurdly dies. So Zhenya begins another, adult, life.
- Vanessa Redgrave as English journalist
- Denis Konstantinov as Zhenya
- Marina Kalinichenko as Elya
- Aleksey Batalov as Zhenya's father
- Georgi Yumatov as Stalin's guard
- Yevgeni Yevtushenko as Sculptor
- Yevgeni Platokhin as Bald
- Savva Kulish as Frenchman
- Albert Toddle as American
- Maya Bulgakova Stalin's wife
- Svetlana Kharitonova as Zhenya's aunt
- Mikhail Zhigalov as working
- Valentin Nikulin as neighbor
- Galina Stakhanova as graveyard worker
- Vladimir Ilyin as man in a pub
- Sergey Bezrukov (episode)
Yevtushenko's was more critical of Joseph Stalin's crimes by the time of production and he also sought to emphasise his generation's rejection of Stalinism; "If one is to speak about Stalinism, then we are still digging down to the roots of the poisonous tree of totalitarianism, of which Stalin was the gardener. But this film is not about the roots and not about the gardener but rather about the green shoots sprouting in the evil shade of that tree and yet straining toward the light - about our generation."
- M. Lyman, Stanford (2001). Roads to dystopia: sociological essays on the postmodern condition. University of Arkansas Press.
- L. Ryan, Karen (2009). Stalin in Russian satire, 1917-1991. University of Wisconsin Press.
|This article related to a Soviet film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1990s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|