Polanco, Zamboanga del Norte
|Nickname(s): Marang Capital of the Philippines|
|Motto: Uswag Polanco|
Map of Zamboanga del Norte with Polanco highlighted
|Region||Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX)|
|Province||Zamboanga del Norte|
|District||1st district of Zamboanga del Norte|
|Founded||August 22, 1951|
|• Mayor||Boyet T. Olvis.|
|• Total||206.88 km2 (79.88 sq mi)|
|• Density||180/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||3rd class|
Polanco is a third class municipality in the province of Zamboanga del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 37,472 people. Most of land of Polanco was owned by the influential family of Realiza, led by Don Gaudencio N. Realiza during the times of American regime in the Philippines. The present land they own are large parts of Labrador (Prinda), Bethlehem, Dansullan, Guinles, Macleodes, New Sicayab, New Lebangon, Sianib, and Obay.
Polanco is politically subdivided into 30 barangays. Lingasad, Silawe, Isis, and Loboc (present-day San Miguel) became barrios in 1954. In 1955, the sitios of Prenda, Balangbang, Marantaw, Tamsi, Serabang Gamay and Serabang Daku became barrio Prenda, while sitios of Bandera, Pian, Biga-an, Upper Genatulan, Lower Sinaman and Miasi became barrio Bandera.
In 1957, the sitios of Dilawa, Desin, Lambog, Gumatob, Boboringan, Tubongon, Debolok, Tiaman, Guintom, Lower Disoy, and New Tipan were converted into the barrio of Milad.
- De Venta Perla
- Labrador (Prinda)
- New Lebangon
- New Sicayab
- Poblacion North
- Poblacion South
- San Antonio (Paetan)
- San Miguel (Loboc)
- San Pedro
- Santo Niño (Lantoy)
Sianib is a rural village (barangay) located approximately twenty minutes by highway from Polanco. Community services include both an international primary school and high school, active Catholic and Christian evangelical congregations, and a small shopping district including video karaoke with many enthusiastic local singers. Sianib is also home to Barangay Brands International, a test marketing center for retail grocery product promotion and to Comfort of Home Homes, Inc., which is a housing cooperative. Most jobs are in agriculture ranging from rice to abundant seasonal fruit production including mangosteen, rambutan, coconut and banana. Other employers include a beauty products manufacturer, sawmill and a charcoal factory.
|Population census of Polanco|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 12 May 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Province: ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "An Act to Create the Barrios of Lingasad, Silawe, Isis, and Loboc in the Municipality of Polanco, Province of Zamboanga Del Norte". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- "An Act Converting into Barrios Certain Sitios in the Province of Zamboanga Del Norte". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- "An Act Creating the Barrio of Milad, Municipality of Polanco, Province of Zamboanga Del Norte". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12.