Poland Township, Mahoning County, Ohio
|Poland Township, Mahoning County, Ohio|
Location of Poland Township in Mahoning County
|• Total||21.2 sq mi (55.0 km2)|
|• Land||20.9 sq mi (54.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,129 ft (344 m)|
|• Density||716/sq mi (276.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086568|
Located in the eastern part of the county along the Pennsylvania border, it borders the following townships:
- Coitsville Township - north
- Pulaski Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania - northeast
- Mahoning Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania - east
- North Beaver Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania - southeast corner
- Springfield Township - south
- Boardman Township - west
- Struthers - northwest
Three municipalities are located in Poland Township:
- The village of Lowellville, in the east
- Part of the village of Poland, in the west
- Part of the city of Struthers, in the northwest
Name and history
It is the only Poland Township statewide. It was established in 1796.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Poland township, Mahoning County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.