Genova in 2016
|Birth name||Poli Plamenova Genova|
|Born||February 10, 1987 (age 30)
|Associated acts||Eurovision Song Contest 2011/2016 representatives|
Poli Plamenova Genova (Bulgarian: Поли Пламенова Генова, born 10 February 1987 in Sofia, Bulgaria) is a Bulgarian singer who represented her country in the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 in Germany. Genova performed her entry "Na inat" (Out of Spite) in the second semifinal. Although failing to qualify to the final Genova would return to the Eurovision five years later, representing Bulgaria for the second time in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 in Stockholm, Sweden, with the song "If Love Was a Crime", and reached fourth place in the finals – a record for the country. It was also the first time Bulgaria qualified for almost a decade. Genova's first Eurovision entry reached Number 8 on the Bulgarian charts and in 2016 she gained her first Bulgarian Number 1 single with "If Love Was a Crime". In the aftermath of her Eurovision success Genova has gone on to become a coach on The Voice of Bulgaria and also voiced the Bulgarian version of Judy Hopps in the world wide box office smash Zootopia.
She hosted the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Poli started her career in 1995, when she joined the children’s vocal ensemble Bon-Bon. For the following six years, she hosted the eponymous Children’s TV show. It was then that she sang together with some of the biggest names on the Bulgarian pop scene, such as Georgi Hristov and Yordanka Hristova. In duet with Nelly Rangelova, she won the special award on the Golden Orpheus Festival. In 1997, Poli and Bon-Bon took part in the The International Festival of Arts "Slavic Bazaar in Vitebsk", where the children’s ensemble won an award. Poli graduated from "National School of Music Lyubomir Pipkov" majoring in a clarinet. Genova was a part of the UNICEF Charity Project "The Magnificent Six". She was a judge on the first series of the Bulgarian version of The X Factor. Simultaneously with the preparation of her participation in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016, she took part in the Fourth season of the Bulgarian version of Your Face Sounds Familiar, where she imitated The Jackson 5, Justin Bieber, Raffi Boghosyan, The Weeknd, Ed Sheeran and Pink.
Eurovision Song Contest
Poli was one of the finalists of the national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest in 2009. Being a new name on the music scene, she managed to rank second with her ballad "One Lifetime Is Not Enough".
In 2011 she won the national selection and represented Bulgaria in the Eurovision Song Contest 2011, with the song "Na inat" composed and written by herself, Sebastian Arman, Boris Milanov and David Bronner. Although it didn't qualify to the finals, the song became well-known among Eurovision fans. On 21 October 2015, it was announced that Poli is hosting the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Sofia.
Later, on 19 February 2016, the Bulgarian National Television chose her to once again represent Bulgaria in the Eurovision Song Contest, with the song "If Love Was a Crime". Theodosii Spassov, a renowned Bulgarian jazz musician who plays kaval contributed to the song with an interesting and unique vibe. Composers and producers of the song are Sebastian Arman and Boris Milanov, known from her previous entry "Na inat", this time joined by Joacim "Twin" Persson, a Swedish songwriter, who has produced platinum-selling artists such as Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Kylie Minogue, Lady Gaga, Jamiroquai and others. The track received many positive reviews by fans and editors of Eurovision-related portals, such as Wiwibloggs, Oikotimes  and Escxtra. Since of its release, the official video has been watched over 10 million times. The songs was presented live during the pre-Eurovision parties in Riga, Amsterdam, Tel Aviv and London. In the Eurovision final Genova placed fourth, the highest placement for Bulgaria in the contest. The track charted iTunes in 26 countries, including No 1 in Bulgaria and No.2 in Malta, and has been streamed over 3 000 000 times through Spotify.
Following Eurovision, Poli performed in a concert in front of an audience of 12 000 people in Arena Armeec, Sofia. She was also invited to sing "If love was a crime" the BG Radio Music Awards 2016, where she was rewardеd with the special statuette "BG Ambassador of the year". Meanwhile, the singer started working on a new project titled "Do more of what makes you happy". It's not yet known whether the title refers to a new album or a new single.
On 5 June Poli performed a gig in London's Clapham Grand. Poli Genova was a special guest of the Mad TV Greece Music Awards on 28 June in Athens, where she collaborated with the Greek star Demy, performing "If Love Was a Crime".
Poli Genova and Destiny Chukunyere, winner of Junior Eurovision 2015 have been revealed as interval acts for the upcoming Junior Eurovision 2016, which takes place in Malta on Sunday 20th November. 
Poli Genova was announced as a coach on the upcoming 4th season of Glasat na Bulgaria (The Voice of Bulgaria).
|1, 2, 3||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"One Lifetime Is Not Enough"||2009||—||—||—||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|"1, 2, 3"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Soleni Dni" (Солени дни)||2013||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Za Nas" (За нас)||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|"If Love Was a Crime"||2016||1||72||129||73||47||200||TBA|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or were not released.|
|"Заедно с теб"
(Poli Genova, Wondrous, Bogomil and Orlin Pavlov)
|"Сега или никога"
(Voice account of Boys featuring Poli Genova)
|"Нека с теб"
(Ditcho and Poli Genova)
|"Щом си с мен"
(Vicki Terziyska, Poli Genova, Vesi Boneva, Vasco Chergov and Ditcho)
(Del Padre feat. Poli Genova)
|2009||"One Lifetime Is Not Enough""|
|"Заедно с теб""|
|"Сега или никога""|
|2014||"Нека с теб""|
|"Щом си с мен""|
|2016||"If Love Was A Crime""|
|"Del Padre feat. Poli Genova - Ей така""|
Movies and theatre
Besides being recognized as a singer, Poli is a talented actress, performing in her own musical theater for children based on Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale The Ugly Duckling. She also starred as The Idea in the puppet play Some can do it, Others cannot. In addition to performing in the theatre, Poli has voiced animated characters in the Bulgarian dubs of films such as:
|2011||The Smurfs||Smurfette||Bulgarian dub|
|2013||The Smurfs 2||Smurfette||Bulgarian dub|
|2016||Zootopia||Judy Hopps||Bulgarian dub|
|2016||Pixar in Concert||Various||Bulgarian dub|
- Busa, Alexandru (24 February 2011). "Poli Genova to represent Bulgaria in Düsseldorf". esctoday.com. ESCToday. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- Brey, Marco (19 February 2016). "Bulgaria: Poli Genova returns to Eurovision". eurovision.tv. European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Poli Genova - Eurovision 2009 Bulgaria Final - One Lifetime Is Not Enough". YouTube. 2009-02-21. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Fisher, Luke (2015-10-21). "Meet your host... Poli Genova!". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- "Eurovision Review 2016: Bulgaria - Poli Genova - "If Love Was a Crime" | wiwibloggs". YouTube. 2016-04-21. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Poli Genova "If Love Was a Crime" - Bulgaria Eurovision 2016 (Reaction) | wiwibloggs". YouTube. 2016-03-21. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Bulgaria 2016: oikopanel reviews 'If Love Was A Crime'". oikotimes.com. 2016-04-07. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- March 21, 2016 4:59 pm (2016-03-21). "Xtra Review: Bulgaria – Poli Genova: "If Love Was a Crime" – escXtra". Escxtra.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Poli Genova - If Love Was A Crime (Bulgaria) 2016 Eurovision Song Contest". YouTube. 2016-03-21. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Poli Genova Bulgaria 2016 "If Love Was a Crime" LIVE at Eurovision in Concert | wiwibloggs". YouTube. 2016-04-09. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Amir and Poli Genova "If Love Was A Crime" LIVE at London Eurovision Party 2016| wiwibloggs". YouTube. 2016-04-17. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "ESCKAZ in Tel Aviv: Poli Genova (Bulgaria) - If Love Was A Crime (at Israel Calling)". YouTube. 2013-12-13. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Poli Genova Bulgaria 2016 "If Love Was A Crime" LIVE @ London Eurovision Party | wiwibloggs". YouTube. 2016-04-17. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Eurovision Tracker". Esctracker.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Robyn Gallagher. "Eurovision 2016 stars dominate iTunes charts". Wiwibloggs.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discographie Poli Genova". Austrian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung). Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discographie Poli Genova". French Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Poli Genova". Swedish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- Moskov, Tedi. "SOME CAN DO IT, OTHERS CANNOT | Puppet theatre". Sofiapuppet.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Zootropolis IT is the new film of Walt... - Poli Genova / Поли Генова". Facebook. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poli Genova.|
with Angel si ti
|Bulgaria in the Eurovision Song Contest
with Love Unlimited
Elitsa & Stoyan
with Samo shampioni
|Bulgaria in the Eurovision Song Contest
with Beautiful Mess
|Junior Eurovision Song Contest presenters
Ben Camille and Valerie Vella