Police Tactical Unit (Hong Kong)
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Police Tactical Unit (PTU)|
|Branch||Hong Kong Police Force|
|Type||General Safety Control|
|Size||~ 2,000 Regulars |
~ 1,000 echelon
|Part of||Operations Wing|
|Garrison/HQ||1 Wu Tip Shan Road, Fanling|
|Motto(s)||"Failing to plan is planning to fail."|
The Police Tactical Unit (Abbreviation: PTU; Chinese: 警察機動部隊) is a unit within the Hong Kong Police Force which provides an immediate manpower reserve for use in large-scale emergencies. Unit companies are attached to all land Regions and are available for internal security, crowd control, anti-crime operations, disaster response and riot control throughout Hong Kong. The PTU is often referred as the 'Blue Berets', which is in reference to the blue berets worn as part of the uniform. The PTU base and training camp is located in Fanling.
The PTU is also the parent organization of the Special Duties Unit (SDU), which specializes in counter-terrorism and hostage rescue, and the Special Tactical Contingent (STC), which specializes in riot control drawing members from other units including the PTU Headquarters and SDU for temporary ad hoc tasks.
The PTU is made up of eleven companies, comprising in total about 2,000 officers. Each company (under the command of a Superintendent) is made up of 4 platoons, each led by an Inspector or Senior Inspector. A platoon comprises 32 Officers with 1 Station Sergeant (senior NCO) and 8 Sergeants.
- Smith & Wesson Model 10: Standard-issue sidearm, 6-shot .38 Special revolver
- Remington 870: Standard-issue shotgun, loaded with less-than-lethal 12-gauge bean-bag rounds
- Federal Model 201-Z Riot Gun: Standard-issue anti-riot gun, loaded with less-than-lethal CS rounds
- AR-15: Standard-issue rifle, loaded with 5.56×45mm rounds, only to be issued as a final resort when the situation encountered is uncontrollable or the target is far away from the PTU (400m or more)
- Mercedes-Benz Vario
- Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
- Mercedes-Benz Unimog U5000 armoured personnel carrier
- Toyota Coaster
In popular culture
- The unit is portrayed in the 2003 film PTU, directed by Johnnie To
- 2007 TVB series On The First Beat
- The unit is also portrayed in the 2009 film series Tactical Unit, directed by Johnnie To and with the same leading actors and actress of the 2003 film PTU
- "PTU the protector of the public (with photos)". www.info.gov.hk. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Police Tactical Unit (Hong Kong).|