Police watercraft are boats or other vessels that are used by police agencies to patrol bodies of water. They are usually employed on major rivers, in enclosed harbors near cities or in places where a stronger presence than that offered by the Harbourmaster or Coast Guard is needed.
Police boats sometimes have high-performance engines in order to catch up with fleeing fugitives on the water. They have been used since the beginning of the 20th century.
Types of police boats
Gallery of police boats
Anti terrorism Police boat in Venice
Police boat, Liverpool, England, October 2009
Nina Mackay II on the Thames in 2013
Agencies with police boats
- New York City Police Department and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police Department - waterways around NYC
- North Carolina State Marine Patrol (NCMP) and North Carolina Wildlife Enforcement (NCWE) - waterways; NCMP with one oceangoing ship and numerous small craft generally open bays, tidal waters and open ocean up to three miles; longer out to sea on mutual operations to assist US Marine Fisheries Law Enforcement and US Coast Guard. NCWE numerous small craft on shallow all inland coastal waters, navigable rivers and lakes statewide.
- Chicago Police Department - Chicago River and Lake Michigan
- Jacksonville Sheriff's Office
- Toronto Police Service - waters off Toronto
- Peel Regional Police - waters off Mississauga
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police - inland waterways in areas of enforcement
- United States Park Police - waters in National Park Service areas around NYC
- Ontario Provincial Police - lakes and other waterways in Ontario
- Hong Kong Police - waters off Hong Kong
- New Zealand Police - waters off Auckland and Wellington
- San Francisco Police Department - waters off San Francisco
- San Diego Harbor Police - San Diego Bay and tidelands
- Long Beach Harbor Patrol - Port of Long Beach
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Office of Air and Marine - Customs waters of the United States
- Canada Border Services Agency - Customs enforcement in Canadian waters.
- Baltimore Police Department waterways in and around Baltimore.
- Thames Police Museum
- 1903 New York Harbor Police boat patrol capturing pirates
- "CPD Gets New Patrol, Rescue Boats". Retrieved 18 October 2012.
Media related to Police boats at Wikimedia Commons