Politics of Telangana
Formation of Telangana
|This article is part of a series on|
|Government and Politics of Telangana|
|State of Telangana
In the early Telangana movement, Marri Chenna Reddy formed a party call Telangana Praja Samiti to lead the Telangana movement. In November 1969, there was a major split in the party and as result the movement went down. After 2 years the Telangana Praja Samiti was dissolved and its members rejoined the Congress. On 29 November 2009, KCR started a fast-unto-death, demanding that the Congress party introduce a Telangana bill in Parliament. Student organisations, employee unions, and various organisations joined the movement. As general strikes shut down of Telangana, Telangana Bill was passed in Lok Sabha on 18 February 2014 and in Rajya Sabha on 18 February 2014  with the support form the BJP. On 4 March 2014 the Government of India declared that 2 June would be the Telangana Formation Day.
The first Telangana Legislative Assembly elections was held in united Andhra Pradesh state in the seventh phase (2014-04-30). The results declared on 2014-05-16. After, The President gazette notification, the government of Telangana formed on 2 June 2014.
- "APonline - History and Culture - History-Post-Independence Era". aponline.gov.in. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "KCR to launch fast on Nov. 29". The Hindu. India. 17 November 2009. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "OU turns hotspot of students’ angst". The Hindu. India. 3 December 2009. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Telangana bill passed in Lok Sabha; Congress, BJP come together in favour of new state". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Rajya Sabha passes Telangana bill". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Notification" (PDF). The Gazette of India. Government of India. 4 March 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2014.