Polk Township, Monroe County, Indiana
Hilly countryside in the Hoosier National Forest
Location in Monroe County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||38.79 sq mi (100.5 km2)|
|• Land||34.16 sq mi (88.5 km2)|
|• Water||4.63 sq mi (12.0 km2) 11.94%|
|Elevation||797 ft (243 m)|
|• Density||10.5/sq mi (4.1/km2)|
|ZIP codes||47264, 47401, 47436|
|GNIS feature ID||0453756|
Polk Township is one of eleven townships in Monroe County, Indiana, United States. As of the 2010 census, its population was 360 and it contained 195 housing units. It is one of the least densely populated townships in the state; this is largely because most of the land is occupied by Lake Monroe, the Hoosier National Forest, and seasonal homes and attractions.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 38.79 square miles (100.5 km2), of which 34.16 square miles (88.5 km2) (or 88.06%) is land and 4.63 square miles (12.0 km2) (or 11.94%) is water.
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
The township contains these four cemeteries: Burgoon Church, Hillenburg, Mitchell and Todd.
- Monroe County Community School Corporation
- Indiana's 9th congressional district
- State House District 60
- State Senate District 44
- "Polk Township, Monroe County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Blanchard, Charles (1884). Counties of Morgan, Monroe and Brown, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. F.A. Battey & Company. p. 381.
- History of Lawrence and Monroe Counties, Indiana: Their People, Industries, and Institutions. B.F. Bowen. 1914. p. 418.
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Indiana Township Association
- United Township Association of Indiana
- City-Data.com page for Polk Township
||Salt Creek Township||Washington Township, Brown County|
|Clear Creek Township||Salt Creek Township, Jackson County|
|Marshall Township, Lawrence County||Pleasant Run Township, Lawrence County|