This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pollution prevention (P2) reduces the amount of pollution generated by industries, agriculture, or consumers. In contrast to pollution control strategies which seek to manage a pollutant after it is produced and to reduce its impact on the environment, the pollution prevention approach seeks to increase efficiency of a process, reducing the amount of pollution generated. Although there is wide agreement that source reduction is the preferred strategy, some professionals also use the term pollution prevention.
With increasing human population, pollution has become a great concern. The US Environmental Protection Agency works to introduce pollution prevention programs to reduce and manage waste. Reducing and managing pollution may decrease the number of deaths and illnesses from pollution-related diseases.
As an environmental management strategy, pollution prevention shares many attributes with cleaner production, a term used more commonly outside the United States. Pollution prevention encompasses more specialized sub-disciplines including green chemistry and green design (also known as environmentally conscious design).
- Atmospheric dispersion modeling, mathematical simulations of how air pollutants disperse in the ambient atmosphere
- Source reduction
- Cleaner production
- Energy conservation
- Green chemistry
- Industrial Ecology
- Pollution control
- Waste management
- "Pollution Prevention". U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- United States National Pollution Prevention Information Center
- United States Pollution Prevention Regional Information Center
- National Pollution Prevention Roundtable Finds P2 Programs Effective (article)
- Pollution prevention directory: TURI - Toxics Use Reduction Institute
- The Southwest Network for Zero Waste - Center for Environmental Excellence
- Pollution Prevention Regional Information Center (P2RIC) - EPA Region 7 (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska)
- The Environmental Sustainability Resource Center (ESRC) - P2 resources, news and information