Persicaria capitata, the pink-headed persicaria, pinkhead smartweed, pink knotweed, Japanese knotweed, or pink bubble persicaria, is an Asian species of plants in the genus Persicaria within the buckwheat family. It is native to Asia (China, Indian Subcontinent, Indochina) and grown as an ornamental in other countries. It has become naturalized in Australia, South Africa and a few scattered locations in the United States.
Persicaria capitata is a prostrate herb. The leaves are 1–6 cm long, 0.7–3 cm wide with pink to red bands or blotches and short scattered hairs. The spikes are 5–10 mm long and 5–7 mm in diameter.
Distribution and habitat
Persicaria capitata is a native of Asia. It has naturalised in parts of Australia and North America. Between 2008 and 2013 it has been recorded as an invasive plant in Ireland from the Counties Fermanagh, Kilkenny, Wexford and Mayo.
- Reynoutria japonica for another plant species called Japanese knotweed.
- The Plant List, Persicaria capitata (Buch.-Ham. ex D.Don) H.Gross
- "BSBI List 2007". Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- "Polygonum capitatum". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Flora of China, Polygonum capitatum Buchanan-Hamilton ex D. Don, 1825. 头花蓼 tou hua liao
- Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution map, Persicaria capitata
- "Persicaria capitata". New South Wales Flora Online. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- Flora of North America, Persicaria capitata
- "T.E.R:R.A.I.N - Taranaki Educational Resource: Research, Analysis and Information Network - Persicaria capitata (Pink Knotweed)". www.terrain.net.nz. Retrieved 2018-05-23.
- Devlin, Z. 2017 A new record for the introduced plant Persicaria capitata (Pink-headed Persicaria), from Newport, Co. Mayo (H27).Irish Naturalists' Journal 35:116
- Liao SG, Zhang LJ, Sun F, Zhang JJ, Chen AY, Lan YY, Li YJ, Wang AM, He X, Xiong Y, Dong L, Chen XJ, Li YT, Zuo L, Wang YL, "Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects of extracts and fractions from Polygonum capitatum." J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Feb 3; Authors:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Persicaria capitata.|
|This Polygonaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|