Polymer fume fever
|Polymer fume fever|
|Classification and external resources|
Polymer fume fever or fluoropolymer fever, also informally called Teflon flu, is an inhalation fever caused by the fumes released when polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, known under the trade name Teflon) reaches temperatures of 300 °F (149 °C) to 450 °F (232 °C). When PTFE is heated above 450 °F (232 °C) the pyrolysis products are different and inhalation may cause acute lung injury. Symptoms are flu-like (chills, headaches and fevers) with chest tightness and mild cough. Onset occurs about 4 to 8 hours after exposure to the pyrolysis products of PTFE. A high white blood cell count may be seen and chest x-ray findings are usually minimal.
The polymer fumes are especially harmful to certain birds whose breathing, optimized for rapidity, allows toxins which are excluded by human lungs. Fumes from Teflon in very high heat are fatal to parrots, as well as some other birds (PTFE Toxicosis).
- Athan, Mattie Sue, Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot, p. 126, Barron's Educational Service, 1993, ISBN 0-8120-4996-9.
- "Teflon Toxicity (PTFE Toxicosis) in Birds: Signs and Prevention". Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- PMID 8272977 - Polymer fume fever and other fluorocarbon pyrolysis-related syndromes.
- "Can Teflon make you sick?", Medical News Today
- "Canaries in the Kitchen: Teflon Toxicosis", EWG 2003
- "Teflon Toxicity (PTFE Toxicosis) in Birds: Signs and Prevention", Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
|This Toxicology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|