Pomham Rocks Light
Pomham Rocks Light in 2007, viewed from a boat.
|Location||Riverside Rd., East Providence, Rhode Island|
|Year first constructed||1871|
|Year first lit||1871|
|Tower shape||Octagonal on square house|
|Markings / pattern||White with black lantern and red roof on house|
|Focal height||67 feet (20 m)|
|Original lens||6th order Fresnel lens|
|Current lens||9.8 inches (250 mm)|
|Range||6 nautical miles (11 km; 6.9 mi)|
Pomham Rocks Light Station
|Area||0.5 acres (0.20 ha)|
|MPS||Lighthouses of Rhode Island TR (AD)|
|NRHP reference #||79000001 |
|Added to NRHP||July 09, 1979|
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
Pomham Rocks Light (also known as "Pomham Lighthouse") is a historic lighthouse in the Providence River about 200 yards (180 m) off the shoreline of the Riverside neighborhood of the city of East Providence, Rhode Island.
The light was established in 1871. The light was one of a group of New England lighthouses built to the same plan after an award-winning design by a Vermont architect. Nearly identical lights were constructed at Sabin Point, Rose Island, and Colchester Reef. It was deactivated in 1974, but relighted on July 30, 2006. The light was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Pomham Rocks Light Station on July 9, 1979. In the 1970s the light was sold to The American Lighthouse Foundation, and is today managed by the Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse.
List of Keepers
- C.H. Salisbury (1871 – 1893)
- Mary A. Salisbury (1893)
- Nathaniel Dodge (1893 – 1898)
- Thomas S. Fishburne (1898 – 1908)
- Adolf H. Aronson (1908 – 1937)
- William James Howard (1937 – 1951)
- Howard B. Beebe (1951 – 1956)
- Unknown (1956-1971)
- Dennis Tardiff (1971 – 1974)
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard. 2009. p. 169.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Rhode Island". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- Rowlett, Russ (2009-12-08). "Lighthouses of Rhode Island". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
|This article about a building or structure in Rhode Island is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Registered Historic Place in Providence County, Rhode Island is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|