Pomona tram stop
Two M5000 trams at Pomona in November 2018.
Location of Pomona in Greater Manchester
|Fare zone information|
|Present status||In operation|
|Original operator||Manchester Metrolink|
|Opened||12 June 1999|
Pomona is a tram stop on the Eccles Line of Greater Manchester's light rail Metrolink system. It opened to passengers on 12 June 1999, as part of Phase 2 of the network's expansion, at Pomona Docks in Old Trafford.
It was one of the least-used stops on the Metrolink network in 2016. However, allowance has been made in its design to support its development as an interchange station between the Eccles Line and the Trafford Park Line (to the Trafford Centre via Trafford Park) which is under construction.
Trafford Park Line Extension
In 2016, Metrolink received the go ahead to begin construction of the Trafford Park Line, which would stem off the existing line at Pomona station. Blocks for the track have been in place since the station opened in 1999, with provisional plans for the line to be opened much sooner than the now expected 2020.
Since the go-ahead, construction work has proceeded and a new bridge connecting to the current tracks over the Manchester Ship Canal. The new bridge, which will carry the tracks, proceeds straight from the station, in-between the Manchester Ship Canal (MSC) and Bridgewater Canal. It then begins a gradual descent onto the left bank of the MSC and runs parallel to it.
- 12 minute service to Etihad Campus (peak).
- 12 minute service to MediaCityUK (peak).
- 12 minute service to Eccles (via MediaCityUK at offpeak times).
- 12 minute service to Ashton-under-Lyne.
|Preceding station||Manchester Metrolink||Following station|
|Eccles – Ashton-under-Lyne Line||
|MediaCityUK – Ashton-under-Lyne Line||
towards Trafford Centre
|Trafford Centre Line||
Connecting bus routes
Pomona station is not served directly by any bus service, but several services stop on Chester Road.
- "Transport Statistics Greater Manchester 2016 Public Transport Section". TfGM. 9 May 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Go ahead given for Trafford Park Metrolink line in Manchester". www.intelligenttransport.com. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Transport for Greater Manchester - Journey Planning - Network Maps". tfgm.com. Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pomona Metrolink station.|