|Metropolitan city||Naples (NA)|
|Frazioni||Messigno, Pompei Scavi|
|• Mayor||Nando Uliano|
|• Total||12.42 km2 (4.80 sq mi)|
|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|• Density||2,000/km2 (5,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Beata Vergine del Rosario|
|Saint day||8 May|
The town of Pompei is located at the eastern borders of its province, and its urban area is contiguous with Scafati, in the Province of Salerno. It borders also with Torre Annunziata, Castellammare di Stabia, Boscoreale, Santa Maria la Carità and Sant'Antonio Abate.
The city is mainly famous for the ruins of the ancient city of Pompeii, located in the zone of Pompei Scavi.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Pompei, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, has become a site for Catholic pilgrimages in recent years. It houses a canvas by Luca Giordano. It was founded by a convert who experienced a divine grace from Blessed Virgin Mary; miracles are reported since its foundation and the Rosary is a devotion associated with great graces for anyone who faithfully prays it. The ex-votos that cover the walls of the church are an impressive testimonial of the miracles granted from Blessed Virgin Mary since the church was consecrated in 1891. Many churches, chapels, and shrines in the world are dedicated to Our Lady of Pompei.
Pompei is served by the motorway A3 at the exits of Pompei-Scafati, Pompei Ovest (close to the ruins of Villa of the Mysteries) and also Castellammare di Stabia. It is crossed by the national roads SS 18 and SS 145.
On the Naples-Salerno line, owned by FS, is situated the main railway station and a little stop named Pompei Scavi (ruins of P.), closed in the 1970s. Onto two lines owned by the SFSM - Circumvesuviana, Pompei counts a total of 4 station. Pompei Santuario (P. Sanctuary, in the middle of the town) and Pompei Valle (close to Pompeii) lies on the Torre Annunziata-Pompei-Poggiomarino line. Pompei Scavi-Villa dei Misteri (serving the Villa of the Mysteries) and Moregine lie on the Naples-Torre Annunziata-Castellammare-Sorrento line.
- Agostino Abbagnale (b. 1966), rower
- Pino D'Angiò (b. 1952), disco artist
- Felice Evacuo (b. 1982), footballer
- Bartolo Longo (1841–1926), catholic blessed
- Gilda Sansone (b. 1989), fashion model
- Alberto Savino (b. 1973), footballer
- Vincenzo Sicignano (b. 1974), footballer
- Gaetano Vastola (b. 1978), footballer
- Valentina Nappi (b. 1990), adult film actress
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pompei.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Pompeii.|