Pompton Plains (Erie Railroad station)
The Pompton Plains Station in September 2014. A piece of the former railroad is visible in the foreground.
|Location||33 Evans Place, Pequannock Township, New Jersey 07444|
|Owned by||Montclair Railway (1872 – 1878)
New York and Greenwood Lake Railroad (1896 – 1943)
Erie Railroad (1943–1960)
Erie-Lackawanna Railway (1960–1966)
Township of Pequannock (2010–present)
|Line(s)||New York and Greenwood Lake Railway|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Closed||October 3, 1966|
Pompton Plains Railroad Station
|Nearest city||Pequannock Township, New Jersey|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Gothic Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||08000136|
|Added to NRHP||March 5, 2008|
Pompton Plains Railroad Station, is located in Pequannock Township, Morris County, New Jersey, United States. The station was built in 1872 and added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 5, 2008. The station serves as the Pequannock Township Museum and was restored in 2010.
James R. Evans was the station agent from the 1870s to turn of the 20th century. Regular passenger train service for the train station ended in 1963, although shuttles from Mountain View remained until 1966. Freight service to the station continued into the 1980s.
More recently, the station building was used as a clothing consignment shop, and later as a State Farm insurance office.
- Operating Passenger Railroad Stations Thematic Resource (New Jersey)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Morris County, New Jersey
- "List of Station Names and Numbers". Jersey City, New Jersey: Erie Railroad. May 1, 1916. Retrieved September 10, 2011.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Pompton Plains Train Station dedication". North Jersey Media Group. April 28, 2010. Retrieved June 14, 2010.
- Janoski, Steve (May 12, 2010). "Pompton Plains Train Station restoration complete". North Jersey Media Group. Retrieved June 17, 2010.
- Yanosey, Robert J. (2007). Lackawanna Railroad Facilities (In Color). Volume 1: Hoboken to Dover. Scotch Plains, New Jersey: Morning Sun Books Inc. ISBN 1-58248-214-4.