Ponaganset High School
|Ponaganset High School|
|137 Anan Wade Road
North Scituate, Rhode Island 02857
|NCES School ID||440042000116|
|Teaching staff||65.00 (FTE)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.11|
|Color(s)||Green and White|
|Sports||Cross country, Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball, Football, Wrestling, Track and field (Indoor and Outdoor), Hockey, Baseball, Fastpitch softball, and Tennis|
Ponaganset High School is a school of the Foster-Glocester School District, located in North Scituate, Rhode Island (in Providence County). The majority of high school students live in the rural towns of Foster, Rhode Island and Glocester, Rhode Island. This is a public high school, known for its music program, AP and honors classes, as well as its CTE approved pathways; Plant Systems, Animal Systems, Materials and Manufacturing, Pre-Engineering, Music Technology, Music Performance, and Pending Programs: Computer Science and Information Technology, and Biomedical. The school's athletic teams are known as the "Chieftains," and the FIRST FRC Team is known as "5112, The Gongoliers." The principal is Renee Palazzo.
The demographic breakdown of the 722 students enrolled for 2012-2013 was:
- Male - 51.5%
- Female - 48.5%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 0.1%
- Black - 0.3%
- Hispanic - 0.3%
- White - 99.2%
- Multiracial - 0.1%
Additionally, 18% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
Capital improvement plan
The school recently underwent a major multi-phase renovation in which the old Ponaganset Middle School was re-located to a brand new building and the existing high school took over the old middle school structure. An indoor glass walkway was put in to attach the high school with the old middle school. The renovations were completed at the end of 2009.
- Sherwood C. Spring, retired United States Army Colonel and former NASA astronaut and graduate of the Class of 1963.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Ponaganset High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Aug 30, 2015.
- "Ponaganset High School Home Page". Foster-Glocester School System. Archived from the original on 2012-01-01.
- "Astronaut Bio: Sherwood C. (Woody) Spring". NASA. Retrieved 2013-01-04.