|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Seal of Pondicherry University
|Motto||Tamil: ஒளி பரவ
French: Vers la Lumière
Motto in English
|From Darkness, towards the Light!|
|Chancellor||Mohammad Hamid Ansari|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr Anisa B Khan|
|Location||Kalapet, Puducherry, India
|Campus||Urban,Olgret Municipality 780 acres (320 ha)|
Pondicherry University is a central university in Puducherry, India. Founded in 1985 by the Government of India, the university is a collegiate university with a jurisdiction spread over the Union Territories of Puducherry, Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
It has 35,000 students in its 87 affiliated colleges including 27,000 students in the distance education mode. The current strength of students studying on-campus stands at 6,500. It has introduced innovations like the Choice-based Credit System and on-line admission for postgraduate studies. Pondicherry University is ranked as one of the top ten Universities in India based on the survey conducted on 2013. Pondicherry University was ranked 13th by NIRF of Ministry of Human Resource Development as per the ranking released on April 2016.
- 1 Establishment and role
- 2 Location
- 3 Silver Jubilee Celebrations
- 4 Library
- 5 Community Radio Station
- 6 Schools, departments and centres
- 7 School of Management
- 8 Ramanujan School of Mathematical Sciences
- 9 School of Engineering & Technology
- 10 School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences
- 11 School of Life Sciences
- 12 School of Humanities
- 13 School of Social Sciences and International Studies
- 14 School of Media & Communication
- 15 Central Instrumentation Facility
- 16 University halls and accommodation
- 17 Extracurricular activities
- 18 List of affiliated colleges
- 19 References
- 20 See also
- 21 External links
Establishment and role
Teaching and research are its primary functions as in other Central Universities. It has affiliated colleges located in Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahé, Yanam and the Union Territory of Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The Pondicherry University Act, 1985, under the central government.... Pondicherry University reached the pinnacle of its growth during the XI plan when Prof J A K Tareen was the Vice Chancellor. It became India's fastest growing central university with 300% all round growth in Students, Faculty, Infrastructure, Teaching programmes, Research projects, and students seeking admissions. The Faculty are from 22 states and students from 30 states and union territories. Some of the Socially relevant achievements of XI plan are rent free hostels to girls, Free education and free hostels to all physically challenged, free transport to students,100% disabled friendly buildings and special library for visually challenged. In 2012 Prof Tareen received from president of India, the best Institution award for PU.
Pondicherry University is located in a campus spread over 780 acres (320 ha), facing the Bay of Bengal on the East Coast Road. It is accessible from Chennai (168 km) and Bengaluru.
Silver Jubilee Celebrations
The valedictory of the silver jubilee celebrations of Pondicherry University was held 18 October 2010. Dr C Rangarajan, Chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India, delivered the keynote address. Lt Governor of Puducherry, Iqbal Singh, who is the Chief Rector of the University, was present at the function. Professor J A K Tareen,Vice Chancellor presided over the function. Souvenirs (coffee mug and desktop calendars) for students and faculties were given out and a brochure was released to mark the event. Prof J A K Tareen, Vice chancellor was the architect of the Coffee Table Book and other souvenirs. The Silver Jubilee Campus on 110 acre extended land is yet another marvel created by Prof J A K Tareen providing over a million square feet of extra space for Social Sciences, Humanities, Media, and Languages, who were for 20 years squeezed in pigeon holes in one building.
The university library named after Ananda Ranga Pillai was established on September 1986 with one deputy librarian and two assistant librarians. It was moved to the present locale as an independent building in July 1990. It serves the students, research scholars, members of the faculty and non-teaching staff. The library is opened through out the year except six public holidays. Weekdays - 8.30 am - 10.00 pm weekends - 9.30 am - 5.30 pm; examination period - 8.30 am to 10 pm. The library annex conceived by Prof Tareen has unique facilities, including 24-hour reading hall, children's library, and facilites for visually challenged. It is yet to be fully functional.
Reprographic and photocopying facilities, e-journals access, Internet access, email service and CD-ROM journal databases are provided. The library has a collection of 1,75,000 books and 10,000 bound back-volumes of journals. The library subscribes to 24,000 E-journals and has digitised over 4,000 theses. Over 472 current print journals (foreign journals: 279; Indian journals: 190) are subscribed to. The digital resources can be remotely accessed through the university library portal.
- Internet browsing facility.
- Fully automated book issuance system.
- Large collection of books and subscription of a host of journals, periodicals, magazines etc.
- Also a member of UGC Infonet digital library consortium.
Community Radio Station
The "Puduvai Vaani" is a Community Radio Station established by Pondicherry University with the support of UGC, New Delhi. It works under FM 107.8 MHz a frequency which is currently extended to a catchments area of 20 km radius from the University campus. The test transmission in our Puduvai Vaani – Community Radio Station was started on 23 August 2008. This was yet another initiative by Prof J A K Tareen. It was inaugurated by Shri V Narayanasamy, Hon’ble Union Minister of State for Planning & Parliamentary Affairs on 27 December 2008 in the presence of Shri P Chidambaram, Hon’ble Union Home Minister. The full-time transmission started on 1 January 2009 onwards. The full-time transmission is going on air from 1 January 2009 onwards.
Puduvai Vaani has been started with an aim to make awareness among the people to improve their nature of life style. Puduvai Vaani is the public broadcaster to awaken, inform, enlighten educate and entertain all section of the people including the programme on women empowerment, communal harmony, health and education. It also brings out the hidden talents of the students in and around the University campus. CRS also includes its service on the practical session for the students of Department of Electronic Media and Mass Communication. Furthermore, students from other departments are encouraged to participate and create radio programmes for the community.
Schools, departments and centres
The entire Academic structure was reorganized during the tenure of Prof J A K Tareen who not only established over 20 new departments,established new school and started over 80 new programs.It was during XI plan when the university broke all records with 300% growth in every sphere including infrastructure, students, faculty, research output and was rated top ten in the country with NAAC accreditation of A grade. Professor Tareen's term is labelled as the Golden era of Pondicherry University.
Subramania Bharathi School of Tamil Language and Literature
- Tamil Language & Literature
School of Management
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Economics
- Department of Tourism Studies
- Department of Banking Technology
- Department of International Business
- Department of Management
- Department of Commerce
Ramanujan School of Mathematical Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
School of Engineering & Technology
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Centre for Pollution Control & Environmental Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Geological Technology
School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Applied Psychology
School of Life Sciences
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Ecology & Environmental Sciences
- Ocean Studies and Marine Biology (Port Blair)
- Coastal Disaster Management (Port Blair)
- Food Science & Technology
- Centre for Bioinformatics
- Centre for Microbiology
School of Humanities
- English and comparative literature
- Physical Education & Sports
- Escande Chair in Asian Christian Studies
School of Social Sciences and International Studies
- Politics and International Studies
- Department of Social Work
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Centre for Development Studies
- Madanjeet Singh Institute of South Asia Regional Cooperation - Centre for South Asian Studies*
- Centre for Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy*
These centres were established during XII plan when Prof J A K Tareen was vice chancellor.
School of Medical Sciences
School of Media & Communication
- Library & Information Science
- Department of Electronic Media and Mass Communication
Madanjeet School of Green Energy Technologies
- Centre for Nano Science & Technology
- Centre for Green Energy Technology
Central Instrumentation Facility
The Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF) was established in the university as the University Science Instrumentation Centre (USIC) in 1992 under the UGC Plan Scheme. It housed three facilities – Mechanical Shop, Glass blowing Shop and Electrical Shop, to provide support in the repair and servicing of scientific equipment. Fabrication of components for experimental setups is undertaken.
The USIC has executed design, development and fabrication works ranging from custom designed sample holders/cells to electronic instrumentation and control modules.
In 2005, the centre was reorganised into Central Instrumentation Facility under the School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences and analytical instruments are added to provide analytical service, in addition to the workshop facilities.
The Mechanical workshop is equipped with heavy duty lathe, milling machine, vertical drilling machine, welding units, sheet bending machine, shears in addition to hand tools, accessories and measuring instruments. The department has fabricated sample cells, metallic and non-metallic elements for sample handling/preparation, acrylic column stands, fume hoods, and an acid distillation unit.
Glass Blowing Shop
The Glass Blowing Shop repairs glassware and fabricates customised glassware. It is equipped with burners, lathe, grinding machine, annealing furnace, and tools.
The Electronic Shop has laboratory test and measuring instruments, soldering stations, and component testers, to trouble shoot faculty instruments and set them right. Electronic components are maintained in the store for quick replacement.
Assistance is provided to students in wiring and testing the circuits for their experimental or project work. Design and fabrication of instrumentation and control modules are taken up to meet customised requirements.
University halls and accommodation
Hostel facilities are available on the campus for boys and girls. Students from distant places will be given preference on a first-come, first-served basis. The university has a hostel for foreign students that can accommodate more than 30 students. Girls are given rent free accommodation. All physically challenged students get free education including free board and lodge in hostels. The university provides free transport off the campus and within the campus.
- Kalidas Hostel
- Subramania Bharathiar Hostel
- Bharathidasan Hostel
- Tagore Hostel
- Kamban Hostel
- Ilangoadigal Hostel
- Valmiki Hostel
- Kannadasan Hostel
- Kabirdas Hostel
- Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan Hostel
- Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad Hostel
- C V Raman Scholars Hostel
- Yamuna Hostel
- Cauvery Hostel
- Saraswathy Hostel
- Ganga Hostel
- Kalpana Chawla Hostel
- Madame Curie Hostel
- Foreign Students' Hostel
The hostel is used by South Asian, European and many more countries students, taking programmes like PG in South Asian Studies and French, German and others.
PUQS (Pondicherry University Quiz Society)
The students have started the Pondicherry University Quiz Society (PUQS) in June 2012. The Quiz Society will enhance the knowledge of the student community and will help in preparation for competitive exams like UPSC, Bank PO etc. The inauguration of PUQS was held on 1 August 2011 in Pondicherry University/Lecture Hall Seminar-I. The event was inaugurated by Director of Education of the Pondicherry University, Prof M Ramadass. The first quizmaster of the show was Nikhil Kurien Jacob. The tagline of the Quiz Society is "It's all about Quizzing."
Earth Sciences Club of Pondicherry University
The Earth sciences Club was founded in September, 2013. It conducts field trips, screen documentaries, organize debates, quizzes, treasure hunts and so on so forth. It is also involved with organising annual event "Mrittika" in Department of Earth Sciences.
Mrittika is an inter-college event organised by Department of Earth Sciences in association with Earth Sciences Club of Pondicherry University. In March 2015, it was organised for the first time. Events included quiz competition, paper presentation, poster presentation, photography competition, fun games etc.
Pondicherry University Maths Club
The Pondicherry University Maths Club was inaugurated on in July 2011. The club encourages students to take up research in mathematics. The club activities includes seminars by students and eminent professors, mathematical workshops, quizzes, fun with mathematics, and paradoxes.
Reflections is an annual event hosted by the Department of Physics. To honour Sir C V Raman and his contributions to the scientific world, India celebrates 28 February as the National Science Day.
"Reflections" is the programme celebrated on National Science Day to bring out the talents of young minds. It popularises science through events, competitions and sharing of ideas.
IMPACT is a students technical association in Department of Electronics Engineering. A National level technical symposium is being organized by students of Electronics Engineering under IMPACT association once in every academic year.
List of affiliated colleges
- Achariya Arts and Science College
- Arignar Anna Government Arts College
- Avvaiyar Government College for Women
- Bharathidasan Government College for Women
- Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam
- Dr S R K Government Arts College
- FOSTIIMA business school
- Bangalore Management Academy
- Idhaya College of Arts and Science for Women
- Indira Gandhi College of Arts and Science
- Jawaharlal Nehru Rajkeeya Mahavidyalaya
- Kanchi Mamunivar Centre for Post Graduate Studies
- Mahatma Gandhi Government Arts College
- Mahatma Gandhi Government College
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Government Arts College
- Rathnavel Subramaniam College of Arts and Science
- Saradha Gangadharan College
- Tagore Arts College
- Tagore Arts College (Annexe)
- United College of Arts and Science
- Villianur College for Women
- Dr Ambedkar Government Law College
- R V S College of Engineering and Technology
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Bharathiar College of Engineering and Technology
- Pondicherry Engineering College
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering and Technology
- Regency Institute of Technology
- Sri Venkateshwaraa Medical College Hospital and Research Centre
- College of Nursing
- Kasturba Gandhi College of Nursing
- Mahatma Gandhi Dental College and Hospital
- Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute
- Mother Teresa Institute of Health Sciences
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Veterinary Animal Sciences
- Regional Medical Research Institute
- Vector Control Research Centre (ICMR)
- Achariya College of Education
- Alpha College of Education
- Arutperunchothi Ramalingasamy College of Education
- Co-operative College of Education
- Don Bosco College of Education and Research Institute
- Dr Anbu Paul College of Education
- Immaculate College of Education
- Krishnasamy College of Education for Women
- Loyola Institute of Teacher Education
- Mahe Co-operative College of Education
- Mother Teresa BEd College
- Nehru College of Education
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar College of Education
- Pope John Paul II College of Education
- Regency College of Education
- Senthil College of Education
- Sree Narayana College of Education
- Tagore Government College of Education
- Vasavi College of Education
- Venkateswara College of Education
- Vivekanandha College of Education
- Shri Krishnaa College Of Engineering and Technology, Mannadipet, Puducherry
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Engineering College
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital
- Manakula Vinayagar Institute of Technology
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Nursing College
- Usha Latchumanan College of Education
- Venkateswara Teacher Training Institute
- Acharya College of Engineering & Technology
- Alpha College of Engineering
- Sri Ganesh College of Engineering and Technology
- Dr S J S Paul Memorial College of Engineering & Technology
- Indira Gandhi Medical College
- Sree Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College of Agriculture and Research Institute
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Port Blair
- "Stats". Pondiuni.org. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Pondicherry University -About University". Pondiuni.org. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Kavita Kishore (22 August 2011). "MSc Astrophysics at Pondicherry University". The Hindu. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Distance Learning and Vocational Instruction: Need, Impact and Challenges", ICDE conference paper Nov 2005
- The Hindu, 21 August 2006 "Pondicherry University launches online admission for postgraduate courses"
- "India's Best Universities for 2013". India Today. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Pondicherry University – Ananda Rangapillai Library". 220.127.116.11. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Pondicherry University Quiz Society". Puquizsociety.hpage.com. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- M. Ramadass
- PONDICHERRY INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (A Unit of Madras Medical Mission
- Cite error: The named reference
http:.2F.2Fwww.pondiuni.edu.in.2Faffiliation_wing.2F.3Fq.3Daffiliate-collegeswas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- National Institute of Technology Puducherry
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College of Agriculture and Research Institute
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pondicherry University.|