This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Vers la lumière (French) तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय (Sanskrit)|
Motto in English
|From Darkness, towards the Light!|
|Chancellor||Vice President of India|
|Rector||Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry|
|Visitor||President of India|
Pondicherry University (पांडिचेरी विश्वविद्यालय) also known as PU is a central university of South India located in Kalapet, Pondicherry, Union Territory of Puducherry, India. It was established by an Act of Parliament in 1985 by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.The Vice President of India is the Chancellor along with the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry acting as the Chief Rector and the President of India is the Visitor of the University. The university is a collegiate university with jurisdiction spread over the Union Territory of Puducherry located in Tamil Nadu (Pondicherry and Karaikal), Kerela (Mahé) and Andhra Pradesh (Yanam), Union Territory of Lakshadweep and Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The vast jurisdiction over three Union Territories namely gives the University a national character. The residents speak diverse languages such as Hindi, Bengali,Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, Telugu, English and French.
The University has been accredited 'A' grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council. The corporate life of the University is further enriched by the inputs from visiting teachers. The University organizes several Endowment lectures and Foundation lectures by eminent personalities. These lectures provide the students and teachers alike with an updated and deep insight into many areas of study and go a long way in motivating them to excel in their chosen fields. All the departments have one of the elite level faculties from the entire nation imparting quality education. PU was India's first University to set up a community college to serve the needs and demands of the local community. Local skill sets are advanced through several vocational programmes such as para- medical courses using the on-site hospital facilities.
Pondicherry University is located in a campus spread over 900 acres (360 ha), facing the Bay of Bengal on the East Coast Road. It is accessible from Chennai (168 km) and Bengaluru.
Hostel facilities are available on the campus for boys and girls. Students from distant places will be given preference on a first-come, first-served basis. The university has a hostel for foreign students that can accommodate more than 30 students. Girls are given rent free accommodation. All physically challenged students get free education including free board and lodge in hostels. The university provides free transport off the campus and within the campus.
- C V Raman Research Scholars Hostel
- Subramania Bharathiar Hostel
- Bharathidasan Hostel
- A S C Hostel
- Ilango Adigal Hostel
- Tagore Hostel
- Kamban Hostel
- Valmiki Hostel
- Kannadasan Hostel
- Kalidas Hostel
- Kabirdas Hostel
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Hostel
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Hostel
- Sri Aurobindo Hostel
- Yamuna Hostel
- Cauvery Hostel
- Saraswathy Hostel
- Ganga Hostel
- Kalpana Chawla Hostel
- Madame Curie Research Scholars Hostel
- Women Studies Hostel
- New Girls Tower Hostel (active from 2019)
- Transit Hostel
- Foreign Student's Hostel
The hostel is used by South Asian, European and many more countries students, taking programmes like PG in South Asian Studies and French, German and others.
Organisation and administration
Schools, departments and centres
The entire Academic structure was reorganized during the tenure of Prof J. A. K. Tareen who not only established over 20 new departments, established new school and started over 80 new programs. The university has 14 Schools and 52 departments distributed across Pondicherry and Karaikal campus. Each School is headed by a Dean and each Department has its own Faculty and Supporting Staff working under the Head of the Department. They are also provided with separate buildings which house their Laboratories and Libraries.The following is the list of the Schools/Departments/Centres:
Subramania Bharathi School of Tamil Language and Literature
- Tamil Language & Literature
School of Management
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Economics
- Department of Tourism Studies
- Department of Banking Technology
- Department of International Business
- Department of Management
- Department of Commerce
- Department of computer science
Ramanujan School of Mathematical Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
School of Engineering & Technology
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Centre for Pollution Control & Environmental Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Geological Technology
School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Applied Psychology
School of Life Sciences
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Ecology & Environmental Sciences
- Ocean Studies and Marine Biology (Port Blair)
- Food Science & Technology
- Centre for Bioinformatics
- Department of Microbiology
School of Humanities
- English and comparative literature
- Physical Education & Sports
School of Social Sciences and International Studies
- Politics and International Studies
- Social Work
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Madanjeet Singh Institute of South Asia Regional Cooperation - Centre for South Asian Studies*
- Centre for Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy*
These centres were established during XII plan when Prof J A K Tareen was vice chancellor.
School of Education
- School of Education
- Centre for Adult and Continuing Education
School of Medical Sciences
School of Media & Communication
- Library & Information Science
- Department of Electronic Media and Mass Communication
Madanjeet School of Green Energy Technologies
- Centre for Nano Science & Technology
- Centre for Green Energy Technology
List of affiliated colleges
- Achariya Arts and Science College
- Dr B R Ambedkar Institute of Technology
- Arignar Anna Government Arts College
- Avvaiyar Government College for Women
- Bharathidasan Government College for Women
- Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam
- Dr S R K Government Arts College
- Idhaya College of Arts and Science for Women
- Indira Gandhi College of Arts and Science
- Jawaharlal Nehru Rajkeeya Mahavidyalaya
- Kanchi Mamunivar Centre for Post Graduate Studies
- Mahatma Gandhi Government Arts College
- Mahatma Gandhi Government College
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Government Arts College
- Rathnavel Subramaniam College of Arts and Science
- Saradha Gangadharan College
- Tagore Arts College
- Tagore Arts College (Annexe)
- Villianur College for Women
- Dr Ambedkar Government Law College
- R V S College of Engineering and Technology
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Bharathiar College of Engineering and Technology
- Pondicherry Engineering College
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering and Technology
- Regency Institute of Technology
- Sri Venkateshwaraa Medical College Hospital and Research Centre
- College of Nursing
- Kasturba Gandhi College of Nursing
- Mahatma Gandhi Dental College and Hospital
- Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute
- Mother Teresa Institute of Health Sciences
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Veterinary Animal Sciences
- Regional Medical Research Institute
- Vector Control Research Centre (ICMR)
- Achariya College of Education
- Alpha College of Education
- Arutperunchothi Ramalingasamy College of Education
- Co-operative College of Education
- Don Bosco College of Education and Research Institute
- Immaculate College of Education
- Krishnasamy College of Education for Women
- Mahe Co-operative College of Education
- Mother Teresa BEd College
- Nehru College of Education
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar College of Education
- Pope John Paul II College of Education
- Regency College of Education
- Senthil College of Education
- Sree Narayana College of Education
- Tagore Government College of Education
- Vasavi College of Education
- Venkateswara College of Education
- Vivekanandha College of Education
- Shri Krishnaa College Of Engineering and Technology, Mannadipet, Puducherry
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Engineering College
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital
- Manakula Vinayagar Institute of Technology
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Nursing College
- Usha Latchumanan College of Education
- Venkateswara Teacher Training Institute
- Acharya College of Engineering & Technology
- Alpha College of Engineering
- Sri Ganesh College of Engineering and Technology
- Dr S J S Paul Memorial College of Engineering & Technology
- Indira Gandhi Medical College
- Sree Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College of Agriculture and Research Institute
Central Instrumentation Facility
The Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF) was established in the university as the University Science Instrumentation Centre (USIC) in 1992 under the UGC Plan Scheme. It housed three facilities – Mechanical Shop, Glass blowing Shop and Electrical Shop, to provide support in the repair and servicing of scientific equipment. Fabrication of components for experimental setups is undertaken.
The USIC has executed design, development and fabrication works ranging from custom designed sample holders/cells to electronic instrumentation and control modules.
In 2005, the centre was reorganised into Central Instrumentation Facility under the School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences and analytical instruments are added to provide analytical service, in addition to the workshop facilities.
The Mechanical workshop is equipped with heavy duty lathe, milling machine, vertical drilling machine, welding units, sheet bending machine, shears in addition to hand tools, accessories and measuring instruments. The department has fabricated sample cells, metallic and non-metallic elements for sample handling/preparation, acrylic column stands, fume hoods, and an acid distillation unit.
Glass Blowing Shop
The Glass Blowing Shop repairs glassware and fabricates customised glassware. It is equipped with burners, lathe, grinding machine, annealing furnace, and tools.
The Electronic Shop has laboratory test and measuring instruments, soldering stations, and component testers, to trouble shoot faculty instruments and set them right. Electronic components are maintained in the store for quick replacement.
Assistance is provided to students in wiring and testing the circuits for their experimental or project work. Design and fabrication of instrumentation and control modules are taken up to meet customised requirements.
Function and role
Teaching and research are its primary functions as in other Central Universities. It has 200 affiliated colleges located in Union Territory of Puducherry (Pondicherry in Tamil Nadu, Karaikal in Tamil Nadu, Mahé in Kerala and Yanam in Andhra Pradesh), Union Territory of Lakshadweep, Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.Pondicherry University reached the pinnacle of its growth during the XI plan when Prof J. A. K. Tareen was the Vice Chancellor. It is India's fastest growing central university with effective and efficient all round growth and development in Students, Faculty, Infrastructure, Teaching programmes, Research projects, and students seeking admissions. The Faculty are from 28 states and 8 union territories. Some of the Socially relevant achievements of XI plan are rent free hostels to girls, Free education and free hostels to all physically challenged, free transport to students, physically disabled student's friendly buildings and special library for visually challenged. In 2012 Prof J. A. K. Tareen received from president of India, the best Institution award for PU. The Pondicherry University was established by an Act of Parliament (No. 53,1985) with the following objectives:
1. to disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities;
2. to make special provisions for studies in French and for integrated courses in Humanities and Sciences in the educational programmes, and
3. to take appropriate measures for promoting inter-disciplinary studies and research.
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2020)||301-350|
|Times (World) (2020)||801-1000|
|Times (Asia) (2020)||251-300|
|Times (Emerging) (2020)||201-250|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2020)||81|
|NIRF (Universities) (2020)||58|
Pondicherry University was ranked 801-1000 in the world by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2020 and 251-300 in Asia. The QS World University Rankings of 2020 ranked it 301-350 in Asia. It was ranked 81st in India overall by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2020 and 58th among universities.
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The university library, named after Ananda Ranga Pillai, was established in September 1986 with one deputy librarian and two assistant librarians. It was moved to the present locale as an independent building in July 1990. The Library is renowned for its disabled friendly modern infrastructure (80,000 sq. ft), fully air-conditioned, WIFI enabled, services for the Visually Challenged among the proactive services with RFID technology and 24/7 remote access to a collection of 4.97 lakhs, of which print is 2.22 and 2.7 lakhs of e-resources (e-books, e-journals, e-databases, e-theses, Academic Online Videos, Video Talks etc.)
SPECTRA- Pondicherry University (LGBTQIA support organization)
SPECTRA has been working to increase queer visibility and awareness in the university campus and beyond. It also provides a safe space for LGBTQIA students to share their experiences and discuss issues faced by the community. SPECTRA was founded on 15 August 2014 and has been conducting events ever since. One of the first Campus Pride events in India was organized successfully in 2018 at Pondicherry University by SPECTRA.
Earth Sciences Club of Pondicherry University
The Earth sciences Club was founded in September 2013. It conducts field trips, screen documentaries, organize debates, quizzes, treasure hunts and so on so forth. It is also involved with organising the annual event "Mrittika" in Department of Earth Sciences.
PUQS (Pondicherry University Quiz Society)
The students have started the Pondicherry University Quiz Society (PUQS) in June 2012. The inauguration of PUQS was held on 1 August 2011 in Pondicherry University/Lecture Hall Seminar-I. The event was inaugurated by Director of Education of the Pondicherry University, Prof M Ramadass. The first quizmaster of the show was Nikhil Kurien Jacob. The tagline of the Quiz Society is "It's all about Quizzing."
Pondicherry University Maths Club
The Pondicherry University Maths Club was inaugurated on in July 2011. The club encourages students to take up research in mathematics. The club activities includes seminars by students and eminent professors, mathematical workshops, quizzes, fun with mathematics, and paradoxes.
Reflections is an annual event hosted by the Department of Physics. To honour Sir C V Raman and his contributions to the scientific world, India celebrates 28 February as the National Science Day.
"Reflections" is the programme celebrated on National Science Day to bring out the talents of young minds. It popularises science through events, competitions and sharing of ideas.
IMPACT is a students technical association in Department of Electronics Engineering. A National level technical symposium is being organized by students of Electronics Engineering under IMPACT association once in every academic year.
Pondicherry University Music Troupe
Pondicherry University had a  run by the students. It was formed during 2010 with 40 members on board. The students performed in every function in and around the campus. A studnet organisation named "Crossroads" took the initiative to start cultural activities inside the campus.
FUCOMPU (Future Computing]), organised by the department of Computer Science is back, this year bigger, and better.
FuCompu is one of the initiatives taken by the Computer Science department aimed at nurturing and fostering students for the real world challenges that lie ahead of them.
Community Radio Station
Puduvai Vaani, the Community Radio Station(CRS) established by Pondicherry University with the support of UGC located in National Capital Territory of Delhi, India. It works under FM 107.8 MHz a frequency which is currently extended to a catchments area of 20 km radius from the University campus. The test transmission of Puduvai Vaani – Community Radio Station was started on 23 August 2008. This was yet another initiative by Prof J. A. K. Tareen. It was inaugurated by Shri V. Narayanasamy, Hon’ble Union Minister of State for Planning & Parliamentary Affairs on 27 December 2008 in the presence of Shri P.Chidambaram, Hon’ble Union Home Minister. The full-time transmission started on 1 January 2009.
Puduvai Vaani's aim is to create awareness among the people to improve their nature of life style. Puduvai Vaani, a well equipped public broadcaster, helps to awaken, inform, enlighten, educate and entertain all sections of people. It includes special programmes on women empowerment, communal harmony, health and education. The neighbourhood locality consists of fishermen villages. Puduvai Vaani conducts (once in a couple of years) summer camps on Radio Production for the children (preferably school goers) and women from the locality. Various workshops are conducted to enhance their talents. Their performances, both individual & group, are recorded and aired. CRS also includes its service on the practical session for the students of Department of Electronic Media and Mass Communication. Furthermore, students from other departments are encouraged to participate and create radio programmes for the community.
Silver Jubilee Celebrations
The valedictory of the silver jubilee celebrations of Pondicherry University was held on 18 October 2010. Dr C Rangarajan, Chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India, delivered the keynote address. Lieutenant governor of Puducherry, Iqbal Singh, who was the Chief Rector of the University, was present at the function. Professor J. A. K. Tareen,Vice Chancellor presided over the function. Souvenirs (coffee mug and desktop calendars) for students and faculties were given out and a brochure was released to mark the event. Prof J. A. K. Tareen, Vice chancellor was the architect of the Coffee Table Book and other souvenirs. The Silver Jubilee Campus on 110 acre extended land is yet another marvel created by Prof J. A. K. Tareen providing over a million square feet of extra space for Social Sciences, Humanities, Media, and Languages, who were for 20 years squeezed in pigeon holes in one building.
- National Institute of Technology Puducherry
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College of Agriculture and Research Institute
- "Vice-Chancellor | Pondicherry University". www.pondiuni.edu.in. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Stats". Pondiuni.org. Archived from the original on 24 April 2015. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- Kavita Kishore (22 August 2011). "MSc Astrophysics at Pondicherry University". The Hindu. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Distance Learning and Vocational Instruction: Need, Impact and Challenges" Archived 26 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine, ICDE conference paper Nov 2005
- The Hindu, 21 August 2006 "Pondicherry University launches online admission for postgraduate courses"
- "Affiliated College of Pondicherry University".
- PONDICHERRY INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (A Unit of Madras Medical Mission
- "QS Asia University Rankings 2020". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2020.
- "Top 1000 World University Rankings 2020". Times Higher Education. 2019.
- "Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings (2020)". Times Higher Education. 2020. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Times Higher Education Emerging Economies University Rankings (2020)". Times Higher Education. 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "Ananda Rangapillai Library". Pondicherry University.
- "Breaking Barriers Within The Campus: First Ever Pride March in Pondicherry University".
- "Pondicherry University Quiz Society". Puquizsociety.hpage.com. Archived from the original on 28 March 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- M. Ramadass
- Music Troupe
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pondicherry University.|