|This article does not cite any sources. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Body||Chirakadavu Panchayath|
|Population (2012)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|• Other||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Kottayam, Kanjirappally.|
Ponkunnam (Malayalam: പൊന്കുന്നം) is a census town in the eastern high-ranges of Kerala, India, part of Kottayam district under Kanjirappally Taluk. Ponkunnam literally means 'The Town on a Golden Mountain' (Ponn = Gold, Kunn = Mountain). Nearby towns are Kanjirappally, Manimala and Pala. This part of Kerala is famous for its fertile land and rubber plantations. It is at an altitude of 495 feet above mean sea level.
Ponkunnam is a part of Kanjirappally constituency in legislative assembly (earlier it was part of the Vazhoor constituency) and Dr. N. Jayaraj of Kerala Congress(M) is the current MLA. It is a part of Chirakkadavu grama panchayath. NH 220 (Kollam-Kottarakkara-Kottayam-Theni), the former K.K road (Kottayam–Kumily road), passes through the town.
- Holy Family Syro Malabar Church - near KSRTC bus station.
- Chirakkadavu Mahadeva Temple, is on the way to Manimala, nearly 3 km.s from Ponkunnam Town
- Ponkunnam Puthiyakavu Temple is near the Ponkunnam private bus stand.
- Orthodox church is on the Ponkunnam–Thampalakad road.
- Mosque is near Ponkunnam bus stand & in Manimala road.
||This article's list of residents may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (January 2015)|
- Babu Antony, prominent South Indian film actor
- Bipin Chandran, noted film script-writer from Kerala.
- M. D. Rajendran, little-known film director
- Ponkunnam Damodaran, film lyricist from Kerala
- Ponkunnam Varkey, one of the best writers from Kerala
- Thampi Antony, a famous actor and novelist from Kerala
Here, there is one KSRTC Bus stand and one private bus stand. Daily, there are many buses to Kottayam, Changanassery, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Banglore and also to the nearest cities Kanjirappally, Erumely etc.. KSRTC operates a chain service to Pala. KSRTC also operates a chain service from Kottayam to Kumily via Ponkunnam.
The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport, Kochi (94 km).