This article does not cite any sources. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Body||Chirakadavu Panchayath|
|Population (2012)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|• Other||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Nearest city||Kottayam, Kanjirappally.|
Ponkunnam is a census town in the eastern high-ranges of Kerala, India, part of Kottayam district under Kanjirappally Taluk. Ponkunnam literally means 'The Town on a Golden Mountain' (Ponn = Gold, Kunn = Mountain). Nearby towns are Kanjirappalli, Manimala and Pala. This part of Kerala is famous for its fertile land and rubber plantations. It is at an altitude of 495 feet above mean sea level. The town is at the junction of two major roads in Kerala: NH220 and main Eastern highway. The climate is moderate with timely cold breezes; the town is the gateway to the eastern high ranges.The town is famous for its volleyball traditions and customs. Almost every year there is an ever-rolling volleyball tournament happening in Ponkunnam Mahatma Gandhi Mini stadium.
Ponkunnsm is also called land of Achayans.
Ponkunnam is one of the busiest towns along the NH 220 comprising key administrative institutions of kanjirappally taluk such as the Ponkunnam court complex, DySP office, and RT office. It is a part of Kanjirappaly constituency (state) and pathanamthittaLA. The town is also a home to many educational institutions and healthcare facilities. Part of the Syrian Christian belt, there are many Syrian Christian agrarian families which reside here.
- Holy Family Syro Malabar Church - near KSRTC bus station.
- Chirakkadavu Mahadeva Temple, is on the way to Manimala, nearly 3 km from Ponkunnam Town
- Ponkunnam Puthiyakavu Temple is near the Ponkunnam private bus stand.
- St.Marys Orthodox Church is on the Ponkunnam–Thampalakad road.
- Mosque is near Ponkunnam bus stand & in Manimala road.
- Latin Church 2 km from the town (westward) by the side of NH 183.
- CMS church half km from the town at Attickal in PP Road.
- Elamgulam Sreedharma Shasta temple and Elagmulam church are 5 km away from the town.
- Panamttom Devi temple (Where the traditional travancore folklore padyani is held every year as a part of temple fest) is 4.5 km from Ponkunnam.
- Babu Antony, prominent South Indian film actor
- Bipin Chandran, noted film script-writer from Kerala.
- M. D. Rajendran, Film director
- Ponkunnam Damodaran, Poet from Kerala
- Ponkunnam Varkey, one of the best writers from Kerala
- Thampi Antony, a famous actor and novelist from Kerala
- Mathew Joseph Podimattathil , prominent businessman and visionary
Ponkunnam lies on the National Highway 183 (Old NH 220) connecting the City of Kottayam and Theni. The NH183 connects Kottayam to the state of Tamil Nadu. It is one of the busiest road passing through Ponkunnam.
The Main Eastern Highway (Punalur- Pathanamthitta- Ponkunnam- Pala- Muvattupuzha) also passes through Ponkunnam. Main Eastern Highway is categorized as State Highway - 08 ( SH-08 ) of Kerala. It is the second longest State Highway of Kerala covering a distance of 153.6 km. The districts it passes through are Kollam, Pathanamthitta, Kottayam, Idukki and Ernakulam. These highways connect Ponkunnam to Muvattupuzha MC Road(SH-01). The Ponkunnam- Pala- Thodupuzha- Muvattupuzha stretch of Main Eastern Highway was upgraded in 2016 with a width of 15 metres The two-lane highway which connects Ponkunnam To Muvattupuzha of 60 km within 80 minutes. This make an easy access to the people of Highranges, Tourist to Thekkady and pilgrims of Sabarimala to reach Muvattupuzha, Angamaly and Kochi in limited time and distance. And the Highway becomes too busy with traffic during the months of November and December due to Sabarimala pilgrims.
Here, there is one KSRTC Bus stand and one private bus stand. Daily, there are many buses to Kottayam, Changanassery, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur, Kozhikode, Banglore and also to the nearest cities Kanjirappally, Erumely etc.. KSRTC operates a chain service to Pala. KSRTC also operates a chain service from Kottayam to Kumily via Ponkunnam.
The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport, Kochi (94 km).