Ponmudi (1950 film)
|Directed by||Ellis R. Dungan|
|Produced by||T. R. Sundaram (Modern Theatres)|
|Starring||P. V. Narasimha Bharathi
T. P. Muthulakshmi
M. G. Chakrapani
|Music by||G. Ramanathan|
|Cinematography||J. G. Vijayam|
|Edited by||Ellis R. Dungan|
|14 January 1950|
|170 min. (15,500 Feet)|
Ponmudi was a love story based on the Bharathidasan novel Edhirparatha Mutham.
Producer T. R. Sundaram of Modern Theatres wanted to make a film based on Edhirparatha Mutham (lit. Unexpected Kiss) - a novel written by the Tamil rationalist poet Bharatidasan. Ellis Dungan was hired to direct Bharathidasan's script. The film was made at the Modern Theatres studio in Salem. Some scenes were also filmed in Yercaud. For shooting beach scenes, Dungan had a beach set constructed in Salem, out of sand brought from Adyar beach. Music was composed by G. Ramanathan and lyrics were written by Marudhakasi-Ka. Mu. Sheriff. Most of the songs were copied from popular Hindi movie tunes. P. V. Narasimha Bharathi and Madhuri Devi were cast in the lead roles and M. G. Chakrapani as the villain. The film had intimate love sequences which were unusual in the (then) conservative Tamil film industry.
Cast and crew
- P. V. Narasimha Bharathi
- Madhuri Devi
- R. Balasubramaniam
- T. P. Muthulakshmi
- M. G. Chakrapani
- A. Karunanidhi
- Kali N. Ratnam
- Ellis R. Dungan - Director, Editor
- Bharatidasan - Story, Screenplay and Dialogue
- G. Ramanathan - Music
- J. G. Vijayam - Cinematographer
- Marudhakasi - Lyrics
- Ka. Mu. Sheriff - Lyrics
- K. K. Sinha - Choreographer
- R. T. Krishnamurthy - Choreographer
Ponmudi was released on Pongal day (14 January) 1950. It was a commercial failure as its intimate scenes shocked the Tamil audience. The film was criticized in the press for being "vulgar" and Dungan was accused of "corrupting the population with American ways".J. G. Vijayam's cinematography was acclaimed and won him an award.
Partial list of songs from Ponmudi :
|Neela Vanum Nilavum Pol||G. Ramanathan & T. V. Rathinam|
|Van Mazhaiyindri Vadidum Payir Pola||G. Ramanathan & T. V. Rathinam|
|Nam Jeevaatharame Selvam Agume||G. Ramanathan|
|En Prema Rooba... Inbathin Ellai ithuthana||T. V. Rathinam|
|Vaazha Venum Vaazha Venum||Kali N. Rathinam|
|Aruyire Premai Amudha Variyil||G. Ramanathan & T. V. Rathinam|
|Dhesamenggum Nalvalam||G. Ramanathan|
|Meikadhal Arumbu Vazhvinile Poothathe Indre||G. Ramanathan & T. V. Rathinam|
|Vaanam Kumurudhammaa||K. V. Janaki & N. Lalitha|
- Guy, Randor (3 October 2008). "Blast from the Past - Ponmudi 1950". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- Baskaran, S. Theodore (1996). The eye of the serpent: an introduction to Tamil cinema. Chennai: East West Books. p. 201.
- Film News Anandan (2004). Sadhanaigal padaitha Tamil Thiraipada Varalaaru (in Tamil). Chennai: Sivagami Publications. pp. 28:53.
- "T. R. Sundaram becomes hero in P. U. Chinnapa's absence". Malai Malar (in Tamil). 26 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Muthiah, S (6 September 2004). "Americans in Tamil cinema". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-12-07.