Ponta da Piedade Lighthouse
|Location||Lagos, Faro District, Algarve, Portugal|
|Tower height||51 metres (167 ft)|
|Heritage||heritage without legal protection|
|Focal height||51 m (167 ft)|
|Lens||Fourth-order Fresnel 300mm|
|Range||20 nautical miles|
|Characteristic||Fl W 7s|
|ARLHS no.||POR 042|
The lighthouse is a stone tower of masonry, 51 metres above sea level, with an attached keeper's house. It has a red flashlight. Despite plans having been made as early as 1883, it was not erected until 1912–13, on the site of the ruins of the "Nossa Senhora da Piedade" hermitage and a farmhouse that was bought from the owners. The delay was in part due to the opposition of the local parish council to the construction as it involved the destruction of the remains of the hermitage. Ponta da Piedade is now a well-known tourist location because of its rock formations, which can be visited by boats on hire close to the lighthouse.
Initially the lighthouse had a fourth-order Fresnel lens that emitted five flashes, grouped every ten seconds. The light source was an oil lamp and the range was 18 nautical miles. The 4th order lens was temporarily replaced during 1923 by a 6th order with a fixed white light. In 1952, the lighthouse was electrified with power from the public grid, and the oil lamp was replaced with an electric lamp, with an initial range of 15 nautical miles, subsequently increased to 18 nautical miles. Four years later, a new electric filament was mounted. It was automated in 1983, using a system supplied by the Gisman company, with one white light flash every seven seconds.
- "ARLHS World List of Lights (WLOL)". Identification Codes. Merchantville, New Jersey: Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society/The Weidner Publishing Group. 2003. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "É inaugurado em Lagos o farol da Piedade". Fundação Mário Soares. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Admiralty Digital List of Lights". Taunton, Somerset, England: United Kingdom Hydrographic Office. 2017.
- "Farol da Ponta da Piedade". Autoridade Marítima Nacional. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Southern Portugal". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Farol da Ponta da Piedade". Farois de Portugal. Archived from the original on 12 August 2017. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Media related to Ponta da Piedade Lighthouse at Wikimedia Commons