This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Location in Goiás state
|Microregion||Meia Ponte Microregion|
|• Total||1,428.2 km2 (551.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||610 m (2,000 ft)|
|• Density||11/km2 (29/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-03:00 (BRT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-02:00 (BRST)|
Pontalina is a municipality in south-central Goiás state, Brazil. Pontalina has become one of the most important clusters of lingerie in the State of Goiás. Every year thousand of people flock to the city to buy its production of fine lingerie in order to sell it within Goiás, in other states, and even abroad.
Pontalina is 125 kilometers from the state capital, Goiânia. It is connected by highways BR-153 and GO-19. Another great way to reach Pontalina by car is through the newly reformed GO-040 road that connects Aparecida de Goiânia (in the metropolitan area of the capital, Goiânia) to Pontalina. Neighboring municipalities are Mairipotaba, Piracanjuba, Morrinhos, Aloândia, Joviânia, Vicentinópolis, Edéia, Edealina and Cezarina.
The climate is hot in summer and mild in winter, with an average annual temperature of 25 °C. The fauna is represented by jacaré, catitus, paca, deer, and capibara, whose preferred habitat is the Rio dos Bois. The flora has suffered with deforestation but there are still stands of jatobá, angico, aroeira, ipê and peroba rosa (Aspidosperma Spp—see Peroba rosa)
The origins of the town go back to the nineteenth century when cattle ranchers established themselves in the region. In 1938 what was once a district of Morrinhos became a city with the name Pontalina, derived from the proximity of the Rio dos Bois and the Meia Ponte
This section needs to be updated.December 2014)(
- Mayor: Sebastião Vieira Rosa (January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2009)
- City council: 9 members
- Population density: 11.36 inhabitants/km2 (2007)
- Urban population: 13,216(2007)
- Rural population: 3,010 (2007)
- Population growth or loss: -0.29% for 2000/2007
The economy is based on agriculture, cattle raising, services, public administration, and small transformation industries. There is a large production of milk.
- Industrial units: 40 (2007)
- Commercial units: 191 (2007)
- Bank agencies: Banco do Brasil S.A. - BRADESCO S.A. - Banco Itaú S.A.
- Dairy: Parmalat Brasil S/A - Indústria de Alimentos (22/05/2006)
- Cattle herd: 119,656 head (2006)
- Dairy cows: 22,440 (2006)
- Main crops (2006): pumpkin, rice, banana, beans, watermelon, soybeans (16,850 hectares), tomatoes, wheat, and corn (1,150 hectares).
- Schools: 15 with a total enrollment of 4,283. There were 732 students in middle and secondary schools.
- Higher education: none
- Adult literacy rate: 86.2% (2000) (national average was 86.4%)
- Hospitals: 2
- Hospital beds: 52
- Ambulatory clinics: 9
- Infant mortality rate: 14.22 (2000) (national average was 33.0).
Quality of Life
In the United Nations Human Development Index(2000)- Pontalina had a rating of 0.805, which ranked it in 8th place out of a total of 242 municipalities in the state of Goiás. Nationally it was ranked 467 out of 5,507 municipalities. For the complete list see Frigoletto