Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais
|Motto||Conhecimento que transforma (in english:Knowledge that transforms)|
|Established||12 December 1958|
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic Church|
|Chancellor||Walmor Oliveira de Azevedo|
|Rector||Dom Joaquim Giovani Mol Guimarães|
|Vice rector||Patrícia Bernardes|
|Location||Belo Horizonte (headquarters), Arcos, Betim, Contagem, Poços de Caldas, Serro, Guanhães, Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Colors||Blue and grey|
|Sports||Sports courts, a semi-Olympic pool, a children's pool, official running track, soccer field officer, laboratory of exercise physiology, fitness weight training|
The Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais (Portuguese: Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais, PUC-MG) is a private and non-profit Brazilian Catholic university in Belo Horizonte, state of Minas Gerais. In 2006, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014, PUC-MG was chosen the best private university in Brazil. It is maintained by the Catholic Archdiocese of Belo Horizonte.
The Catholic University is a higher education institution in Minas Gerais, where it owns more than 100 buildings to host labs, libraries, a museum, a TV channel, a long-distance teaching center, multimedia rooms, theaters, auditoriums, a veterinary hospital, a clinic for psychotherapy, odothological and psychological treatment and others.
One of the best universities in Brazil, PUC-MG was rated 4 by the Brazilian Ministry of Education index for higher education schools. The highest rating is 5 which is almost exclusively awarded to public universities.
The PUC-MG received, for the second consecutive year, an award given by the Federation of Industries of Minas Gerais (FIEMG) by Euvaldo Lodi Institute for having the best practices of training and the integration of students in companies. The award was received by the coordinator of the Integrated Training University, Professor Evanilde Maria Martins, at a ceremony held in the auditorium of FIEMG.
In 2003, the PUC Minas was the first private university in Brazil to house a laboratory to perform climatological studies. It is the Centre of Excellence in Climatology (Centro de Climatologia PUC Minas TempoClima), which was created through a partnership between the university and Cemig (Companhia Energética de Minas Gerais). The TempoClima Center features equipment for receiving weather information and one laboratory course with emphasis on Geography.
Its objective is the development of weather forecasts three days in advance for the 853 municipalities of Minas Gerais, warning of severe storms and predictions for use by agriculture, road and rail transport, electricity, industry and tourism.
Besides the headquarters in Coração Eucarístico district, in Belo Horizonte, PUC-MG owns campuses in the districts of Barreiro,São Gabriel and Praça da Liberdade and in the cities of Arcos, Betim, Contagem, Guanhães, Poços de Caldas and Serro.
Notable professors and alumni
- Cármen Lúcia, Chief Justice of the Supreme Federal Court
- Clésio Andrade, Senator from Minas Gerais and businessman
- Aécio Neves, economist and Governor of Minas Gerais
- Fernando Pimentel, economist, and Governor of Minas Gerais
- Chico Pinheiro, journalist of TV Globo
- Adriana Araujo, journalist of Record TV
- Foundation Day
- "A Puc Minas". Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- Guia do Estudante, O Globo Online (4 October 2006). "USP and PUC-MG are elected the best universities in Brazil by Guia do Estudante". O Globo Online. Retrieved 2007-04-23.
- Guia do Estudante, Guia do Estudante (4 October 2010). "USP e PUC-Minas são as grandes vencedoras do Prêmio Melhores Universidades 2010". Guia do Estudante. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- Structure of PUC-MG
- PUC-MG – Newsletter Archived 8 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- PUC-MG and Integration of students in companies Archived 8 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- Climatological studies in PUC-MG[permanent dead link]
- Official website (in Portuguese)