Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family
|Latin: Pontificium Institutum Joannes Paulus II Studiorum Matrimonii ac Familiae|
|Type||Private, Pontifical, Graduate School|
|Vice-Chancellor||Diocesan ordinary of each session|
|Location||Rome, Italy (central session)|
The Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family is a Roman Catholic pontifical institute of theological studies on Marriage and Family with affiliated campuses around the world.
The Institute's locations include:
- Rome, Italy, at the Lateran University (central session)
- Washington, DC, United States at The Catholic University of America
- Cotonou, Benin
- Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
- Changanacherry, India
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
- Monterrey, Mexico
- León, Guanajuato, Mexico
- Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico
- Valencia, Spain
- Melbourne, Australia (associated campus)
- Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines (Associated Campus)
The Institute's governance is, as a pontifical school, largely made up of Roman Catholic hierarchy. The Grand Chancellor is the Cardinal Vicar of the Diocese of Rome, currently Agostino Vallini. The Vice-Chancellor of each session is the ordinary of the diocese in which it is located. The first two presidents of the Institute, Carlo Caffarra and Angelo Scola, were later made cardinals. Further, the Institute has close relations with the Pontifical Council for the Family.
List of Presidents
- Rev. Carlo Caffarra (1981-1995)
- Most Rev. Angelo Scola (1995-2002)
- Most Rev. Salvatore Fisichella (2002-2006)
- Rev. Msgr. Livio Melina (2006–present)
The Institute confers the pontifical degrees of Doctor and Licentiate of Sacred Theology with emphasis in marriage and family studies, as well as other graduate-level diplomas in the field corresponding to the individual sessions. Due to the specialized nature of the Institute, it does not confer the more general degree of Bachelor of Sacred Theology, which is typically a prerequisite for the other pontifical degrees.
The Institute in Philippines located in the Diocese of Bacolod was designated by the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), through the Episcopal Commission on Family and Life, as the seat of the Philippines campus of the Pontificio Instituto Giovanni Paolo II Per Studi Su Matrimonio e Famiglia, Rome. It enables the people of the Philippines and the Far East to avail of the theological and pastoral reflections on marriage and family that the Institute offers. The Diocese of Bacolod has taken the initial steps by setting up the Pope John Paul II National Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family. By God's grace, this institution has been operational since 2001 and been granted the status Centro Associato (Associate Center), a step towards becoming a Session of the Pontifical Institute in Rome. It proposes to deepen the awareness of the truth about marriage and the family in the light of the Nuptial Theology and Theology of the Body of Blessed John Paul II with the aid of various human sciences. Through scientific study and research on the human person, marriage and family, the Institute aims to train priests, religious and lay in the exercise of a more qualified ministry. The National Institute offers a two-year Masteral Degree course specializing in marriage and family recognized by the Philippine Commission by the Higher Education (CHED) and by virtue of the consortium, the University of St. La Salle - Bacolod grants the degree.
- Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family at The Catholic University of America
- Pontifical Lateran University
- Pope John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family,Philippines in consortium with University of St. La Salle - Bacolod
- Centro Giovanni Paulo II, Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
- John Paul II Institute - Rome - official site (in Italian)
- JPII Institute - Washington - official site
- JPII Institute - Melbourne - official site
- JPII Institute - Mexico City - official site (in Spanish)
- International Theological Institute - official site
- Magnum Matrimonii Sacramentum - charter (in Latin)
- Magnum Matrimonii Sacramentum (in English)
- "Presentation > Academic Authorities". Pontificio Instituto Giovanni Paolo II. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "Presentation > International Sections". Pontificio Instituto Giovanni Paolo II. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "About > The Institute Around the World". John Paul II Institute. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "The Heritage of John Paul II on marriage and the family...". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 2007-10-02.