Pontifical Institute of Sacred Liturgy
The Pontifical Liturgical Institute in Rome, located at Sant'Anselmo on the Aventine Hill, promotes the study of the Sacred Liturgy. It is entrusted to the Benedictine Confederation, and has the role of training professors of liturgy and liturgical experts to advance the study and teaching of the Church's liturgy in the various parts of the world.
English language programme
Ever since the 1990s successive presidi (deans) of the PIL have tried to establish English-language programmes of PIL courses in the US in order to provide access for English and Spanish-speaking students, first with the University of Chicago, and later with the St Thomas University, Miami, but these have not yet borne fruit. Similar attempts to initiate an English-language liturgy summer school at Sant’Anselmo in Rome have not yet matured.
At the behest of the Dean of the PIL, in 2009 the board of the Institutum Liturgicum in Anglia et Cambria requested the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies of the Catholic University of Leuven to give validation to the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy courses, now taught in Italian in Rome. The request was granted and these courses have been offered in English at the Benedictine Study and Arts Centre, Ealing Abbey in London as a "feeder" programme of studies for the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy since 2011.
Endorsements for the English language programme
On Thursday 12 November 2009 the Council of the Preside of the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy accepted the proposal of the board of the "Institutum Liturgicum in Anglia et Cambria" to organise the teaching of some PIL courses in the UK, beginning Summer 2011 for a period of five years. The Preside, Fr Ephrem Carr recommended that courses be additionally accredited at a different Pontifical University.
- Most Reverend Leo William Cushley, Archbishop and Metropolitan of St Andrews and Edinburgh
- Reverend Father Anscar Chupungco, OSB - president of the PLI for more than 23 years and the first Filipino and Asian to hold that office; considered as the father of the Liturgical Inculturation Movement in the Catholic Church
- Bishop Christopher J. Coyne
- Archbishop Wilton Gregory
- Rt Revd Marcel Rooney, OSB
- V. Revd David Orr, OSB
- James Leachman, O.S.B. A monk of St. Benedict’s Abbey, Ealing, London A doctor of sacred liturgy, Pontifical Institute of Liturgy, Sant’Anselmo, Rome Principal of Benedictine Study and Arts Centre, Ealing Abbey Co-director of project Appreciating the Liturgy and co-founder of the Institutum liturgicum [permanent dead link]. Web.mac.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-30.
- Appreciating the Liturgy Archived 2008-12-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- Institutum Liturgicum in Anglia et Cambria A Liturgy Institute in england and Wales Archived 2010-10-12 at the Wayback Machine.. Web.mac.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-30.
- Institutum Liturgicum in Anglia et Cambria A Liturgy Institute in england and Wales [permanent dead link]. Web.mac.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-30.