Pontlliw (Welsh spelling: Pont-lliw) is a village in the community of Pontlliw and Tircoed, part of the City and County of Swansea in Wales. The village is located near Pontarddulais, off Junction 47 of the M4 motorway.
The name of the village comes from the Welsh word for bridge (pont) and the name of the River Lliw which runs through the village.
Pontlliw has one active chapel, Carmel Baptist, which runs activities throughout the week in both Welsh and English. This includes and active children's and youth work.
The village also is home to Pontarddulais Golf Club - which lies within the boundaries of Pontlliw despite its name featuring neighbouring village Pontarddulais. The 9-hole course opened in the 1990s under the name Allt y Graban.
Pontlliw Village Hall is regularly used to stage theatrical performances and concerts as well as classes run by local groups.
Passing motorists have to take care through the village though, as there are three sets of speed cameras in the village.
Pontlliw is located between the neighbouring villages Penllergaer and Pontarddulais.
The village is also the birthplace of Gareth Roberts, the former Wales rugby union player. Other notable residents with a rugby connection include Wales internationals Mervyn 'the Swerve' Davies, who lived in Vernon Close and Paul Thorburn, the latter living in Heol Y Waun during the early 1990s.
- Office for National Statistics : Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Swansea Retrieved 9 January 2010
- https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/reports/localarea?compare=W37000175[bare URL]
- http://www.pontlliwprimary.co.uk/[bare URL]
- http://www.buckinn.swanseapub.com/[bare URL]
- "Homepage I". Rasoi Indian Kitchen. Retrieved 2021-06-04.
- http://www.pontardulaisgolfclub.co.uk/[bare URL]
- http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/tourist-attractions/Golf_Courses/Wales7245.htm[bare URL]
- http://www.pvh-online.org.uk/[bare URL]
- Speed Camera Locations
- http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Ex-skipper-Paul-Thorburn-gear-fundraiser/story-15736059-detail/story.html[bare URL]