Pontypridd High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ymdrech A Lwydda |
(Success through Effort)
Albion Community Campus|
|Local authority||Rhondda Cynon Taff|
|Former name||Coedylan Comprehensive School / Pontypridd County Grammar School|
Pontypridd High School (Welsh: Ysgol Uwchradd Pontypridd) (formerly known as Coedylan Comprehensive) is an English-medium comprehensive school in the village of Cilfynydd near Pontypridd, in the county borough of Rhondda Cynon Taf, Wales.
It is for ages 11–18. It is on the west side of the A470.
It was known as Pontypridd County Grammar School, a boys' grammar school, which had been established in 1895.
When becoming comprehensive, it was known as Coedylan Comprehensive School.
Notable former pupils
Pontypridd County Grammar School
- Prof Michael Bevan, Professor of Immunology since 1990 at the University of Washington, Seattle
- Desmond Brayley, Baron Brayley
- Air Marshal Sir Ivor Broom CB CBE DSO DFC, Station Commander of RAF Brüggen from 1962–64, AOC of No. 11 Group RAF from 1970–72, and Controller from 1974-77 of National Air Traffic Services (NATS) 
- Rt Rev Anthony Crockett, Bishop of Bangor from 2004–08
- Glyn Davies CBE, Director of Education for Montgomeryshire from 1943–58, and from 1958-70 for Denbighshire
- Glyn Davies, rugby player
- Kenneth Davies CMG OBE, geologist
- Sir Trevor Evans CBE, journalist
- Donald Hicks OBE, Director-General from 1962-67 of the British Coal Utilisation Research Association
- John Hopkins, Fellow of Downing College Cambridge, 1961-2004, and University Lecturer in Law; now Emeritus Fellow
- Bert Isaac, painter
- Maldwyn James, rugby player
- Brynmor John, Labour MP from 1970-88 for Pontypridd
- Dr Cen Jones, expert on tropical diseases, diagnosing the Ebola virus
- Lord Lloyd-Jones, Judge of the High Court (QBD) (2005–12), Lord Justice of Appeal (2012-2017), Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom (2017 - )
- Geraint Jones CBE, broadcaster, Chief Executive from 1989-94 of S4C, Controller from 1981-85 of BBC Wales
- Dr David Kelly CMG, biological weapons expert
- Prof Gwynne Lewis, Professor of History from 1984-97 at the University of Warwick
- Prof Shaughn O'Brien, Foundation Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology since 1989 at Keele University Medical School, and founding Editor of The Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, and Vice President of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists from 2004-2007
- Dr Gareth Owen CBE, Vice-Chancellor from 1985-87 of the University of Wales, and Principal from 1979-89 of University College of Wales, Aberystwyth
- Gareth Payne, rugby player
- John Prosser, (judge)
- Alun Richards, author
- Tudor Rickards
- Sir Tasker Watkins, VC, GBE (1918 – 2007); former High Court judge (1971-1980), Lord Justice of Appeal (1980-1993) and deputy Lord Chief Justice (1988-1993). President of the Welsh Rugby Union, 1993-2004
- Alun Williams, radio presenter
- Gareth Wood, composer
Coedylan Comprehensive School
- Kevin Courtney, former physics teacher, and General Secretary from 2016-2017 of the NUT
- Ash Morgan, singer
- Kimberley Nixon, actress
- Ceri Sweeney, Welsh Rugby Union international (1991-1998)
- Martyn Williams, Welsh Rugby Union international (1987-1994)
- "Home". Pontypriddhighschool.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-01.
- "Air Marshal Sir Ivor Broom". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-01.
- Will Bennett (1993-02-16). "Rapist, 15, ordered to be detained for life - UK - News". Independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-01.
- "BBC One - The Voice UK, Series 2 - Ash Morgan". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-01.