This biographical article is written like a résumé. (October 2013)
Miss India 2009
Chopra in 2018
|Known for||Miss India World|
|Height||1.7 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Title||Miss India - World 2009|
|Family||Shubra Chopra (sister)|
Pooja Chopra (born 3 May 1985) is an Indian film actress and model. She was a semi-finalist at Miss World 2009 and the first Indian to win the title of "Beauty with a Purpose" in the competition held in Johannesburg, South Africa. Chopra won as many as eight national and international titles including Femina Miss India in 2009.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2013)
Chopra was born in Kolkata, India. She is the child of a single mother and was brought up by her mother and grandmother. She is a resident of Pune, Maharashtra. She has an older sister named Shubra Chopra.
2009–12: Pageantry and career beginnings
Pooja Chopra was crowned with the 2009 Femina Miss India East title on 17 February 2009, in Kolkata. She also won Miss Perfect 10, Miss Catwalk, Miss Beautiful Smile, Talwarkars Best Body, and Nakshatra Miss Sparkling Beauty, thus gaining direct entry into the top ten finalists of the Femina Miss India 2009. On 5 April 2009, she was crowned the Pantaloons Femina Miss India-World 2009.
Chopra sprained her ankle while running down a flight of stairs one week prior to the Miss World final on 12 December 2009. Doctors advised three weeks of complete bed-rest, but she continued with the competition. Chair of the Miss World Organization Julia Morley suggested that Chopra drop out of the dance round, so she took only a few steps before being allowed to stop. She finished as one of the top sixteen finalists out of 112 contestants
On 12 December 2009, she won the "Beauty With a Purpose" title at Miss World 2009 based on her charitable work in the India "Nanhi Kali" project. She won US$10,000 for her project, which helps small girls fight poverty.
During her reign she endorsed brands such as Tata Docomo, Bajaj Allainz, Richfeel, Body and Soul, Roots Comb, Evolve Med Spa, and Juvederm Voluma. Pooja Chopra was the brand ambassador for Dr Tvacha Pooja was also the brand ambassador for Jumbo King Wada Pav
On 30 April 2010 Chopra crowned her successor Manasvi Mamgai as the next Miss India World.
She was featured in Times 50 Most Beautiful Women. The list features India's most beautiful faces.
Chopra won the Times Powerful Woman Award 2017 in the field of acting. The list features the most eminent personalities who have made it on their own merit. Considering their shared interest in fitness, Pooja chopra, along with Akshay Kumar, launched the Asian Heart Institute Initiative "Happy Heart India" campaign for underprivileged children in 2018. Chopra was also invited by the BMC to lead the campaign #EkChammachKam alongside Farhan Akhtar to spread awareness about non-communicable diseases.
2013–present: Acting debut and recent work
Chopra made her acting debut in the 2011 Tamil film Ponnar Shankar, playing the role of Princess Muthaayi, opposite Prashanth Thiagarajan. The film was written by the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu M. Karunanidhi and directed by Thiagarajan. Before she made her debut in Bollywood as a leading lady, she had minor roles in Madhur Bhandarkar's films Fashion and Heroine.
Chopra starred in Neeraj Pandey's short film Ouch, a dramatic love story.
Pooja in 2018 featured in a T Series music video "Sau Fikr", a song by Bishwajit Ghosh and Rohit Singh.
Pooja Chopra next will be seen in a lead role with Sharman Joshi in Babloo Bachelor.
When Pooja was born, her father did not want her because he wanted a son. Neera Chopra, her mother, left her husband because she had decided to keep her daughter. Pooja's personal story was featured in Nisha Pahuja's documentary, The world before her.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2011||Ponnar Shankar||Princess Muthaayi||Tamil||Lead role|
|2012||Heroine||Shaheen Khan||Hindi||Special appearance|
|The World Before Her||Herself||English||Documentary|
|2013||Commando: A One Man Army||Simrit Sarabjit Kaur||Hindi||Lead role|
|2016||Yea Toh Two Much Ho Gayaa||Meena||Lead role|
|2018||Aiyaary||Captain Maya Semwal|
|Tom, Dick and Harry 2||TBA||Lead role|
- "2009 – India". Beautywithapurpose.com. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Welcome". Miss World. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Neera Chopra: My Husband threw us out". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 26 April 2009. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- (ref: the documentary 'The World Before Her')
- "Pooja Chopra".
- Pooja Chopra crowned Femina Miss India 2009
- Business Standard (19 December 2009). "Global highlights of the week". Business-standard.com. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Spotlight on Fashion 2009". Zeenews.com. 28 December 2009. Archived from the original on 29 December 2009. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Katrina Kaif clinches the number one spot in sexiest Asian women poll – Bhangra News Feed". Bhangra.org. 19 December 2009. Archived from the original on 9 October 2011. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Pooja Chopra brand ambassador of Tata Docomo". Bollyone.com. 6 August 2009. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Business : Bajaj Allianz launches women-specific scheme". The Hindu. 10 April 2009. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Launch – Richfeel Trichology Centre by Pooja Chopra in Delhi – Buzzintown | user comments, ratings for venue". Buzzintown. 10 February 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Evolve Med Spa". Evolve Med Spa. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Pooja Chopra unveils Juvederm Voluma | Launch Events | Bollywood Bytes". Hamaraphotos.com. 6 May 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Times Most Desirable People 2009". Itimes.com. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Hungama, Bollywood (23 April 2018). "Pooja Chopra joins Akshay Kumar for Asian Heart Institute's latest initiative- 'Happy Heart India'". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Farhan Akhtar, Pooja Chopra team up to fight against health risks in the city". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 January 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Ponnar Shankar sold to Martin Productions". Kollytalk.com. 15 August 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Former Miss India Pooja Chopra became an actress for her mother". Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- Sharma, Sarika. "Ayushmann Khuraana's 'Nautanki Saala', Vidyut Jamwal's Commando hit screens today". Indian Express. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- Roshmila Bhattacharya. "'Ouch' review: Neeraj Pandey's short film turns the tables on the man-woman equation". Mumbai Mirror.
- Iyer, Meena. "Commando (2013) Movie Review". Times of India. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Pooja Chopra makes a mark in romantic video". Times of India. 17 December 2018. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Pooja Chopra to star opposite Sharman Joshi in Babloo Bachelor". Daily Excelsior. 4 January 2018. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Miss India Pooja Chopra's dad told mum to kill her or forfeit marriage". DNA India. 3 May 2009. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- World Before Her (15 May 2014), The World Before Her | Pooja's Story, retrieved 12 March 2019
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pooja Chopra.|
|Awards and achievements|
| Femina Miss India World
| Miss World Beauty with a Purpose