7 October 1983
Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Other names||Sanjana Gandhi|
|Occupation||Actress, model, producer, politician|
|Years active||2003 - present|
|Relatives||Radhika Gandhi (sister)|
Pooja Gandhi is an Indian film actress and producer mostly active in Kannada cinema where she has played lead roles in commercially successful films like Mungaru Male, Taj Mahal, Budhivanta and Dandupalya.
She joined politics in 2012 and made an unsuccessful run at public office the following year.
Early years and personal life
Pooja Gandhi was born in Meerut on 7 October 1983 in a traditional Punjabi family. Her father Pawan Gandhi is a businessman and her mother Jyothi Gandhi is a housewife. She studied at Sophia Convent and Dewan Public School in Meerut. She has two younger sisters – Radhika Gandhi, who is also working in Kannada films, and Suhani Gandhi, a tennis player.
Pooja Gandhi got engaged in November 2012 but broke up the following month.
Pooja started her career by acting in soaps, starting with Zameen Se Aassman Tak directed by Aruna Irani. She made her debut in the Bengali film Tomake Salam, released in 2003. She moved to the South Indian film industry with the Tamil film Kokki, which did not show promising results at the box office.
Pooja Gandhi acted in the Kannada movie Krishna, opposite "Comedy Time" Ganesh, her co-actor in Mungaru Male. She has since acted in several Kannada films including Kodagana Koli Nungitha, Manmatha, Milana, Budhivanta, Huchchi, Taj Mahal and Honey Honey.
Pooja has signed up to make her Tulu language film debut in Beere Devupoonje, playing the role of Raja Nartaki. The film, produced and directed by R. Dhanraj, will be based on a Tulu warrior named Devapoonja who lived 400 years ago.
Pooja Gandhi joined the Janata Dal (Secular) (JDS) party on 18 January 2012. The party had initially appointed her as the working president of its youth wing but later began to sideline her, following criticism by opposition members. Former Member from BJP of Parliament Ayanur Manjunath attacked Pooja Gandhi saying that she is the 'Dandupalya' queen. Pooja had acted in the film Dandupalya which was based on the dreaded gangsters of Dandupalya. Speaking to reporters, Gandhi claimed to be hurt by the treatment. "No JD(S) leader came to my support when I was called names," she said. former Chief Minister H. D. Kumaraswamy who is also the state president of the party said that if Pooja Gandhi was not comfortable joining JD(S), she can join other party. Six months after she joined politics through (JD(S), she quit the party.
She then joined briefly the KJP, but she finally contested the 2013 Karnataka Legislative Assembly elections from Raichur on a BSR Congress ticket. This first attempt at public office proved unsuccessful.
|Geleya||Herself||Kannada||Special appearance in song "Hudugi Malebillu"|
|Kaamannana Makkalu||Kannada||Special appearance|
|Nee Tata Naa Birla||Pooja||Kannada|
|Taj Mahal||Shruthi||Kannada||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Kannada Actress|
|Kodagana Koli Nungitha||Lakshmi||Kannada|
|Haage Summane||Nandini||Kannada||Special appearance|
|Ninagaagi Kaadiruve||Shweta Nandan||Kannada|
|Sri Harikathe||Pooja Krishnamurthy||Kannada|
|Nee Raani Naa Maharani||Rani,
|Hare Rama Hare Krishna||Kannada|
|2012||Dandupalya||Lakshmi||Kannada||Winner – Suvarna Film Award for Best Actress
Winner – SIIMA Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role
Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Kannada
|Hosa Prema Purana||Kannada|
|Director's Special||Herself||Kannada||Special appearance|
|2015||Abhinetri||Sharat Lata / Nanda||Kannada||Also producer|
- "Mischievous to spiritual with movies in between". Times of India. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- "Pooja Gandhi Bio".
- "mypoojagandhi.com". mypoojagandhi.com. Retrieved 7 August 2012.[dead link]
- "Actor Pooja Gandhi breaks up with fiance". 19 December 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- Super Admin (29 July 2009). "Pooja Gandhi debuting in Bollywood movie". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Pooja Gandhi to make Tulu movie debut". The Hindu. 22 October 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- "Actress Pooja Gandhi joins JDS". Mangalore Today. 18 January 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Karnataka polls: Actress Pooja Gandhi badly flops in Raichur". 8 May 2013. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- Srinidhi, Sharadha (26 July 2009). "Looking forward to meet Ramya: Radhika". Times of India. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- "Pooja Gandhi turns patriotic in 'Jai Hind' | Film Reviews". Filmreviews.bizhat.com. 12 November 2010. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "The rise and fall of an actress". 1 February 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.