Hegde in 2017
|Born||13 October 1990|
|Alma mater||M. M. K. College|
Pooja Hegde (born 13 October 1990) is an Indian film actress who appears mainly in Telugu and Hindi films. A former beauty pageant contestant, she was crowned as the second runner-up at the Miss Universe India 2010 competition, before going on to make her acting debut in Mysskin's Tamil superhero film Mugamoodi (2012). She then featured in the Telugu films Oka Laila Kosam and Mukunda (2014), while signing on to feature as the lead actress in Ashutosh Gowariker's Mohenjo Daro (2016) along with Hrithik Roshan.
Pooja Hegde was born and brought up in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Her parents Manjunath Hegde and Latha Hegde are from Mangalore, Karnataka, she also has an elder brother Rishabh Hegde. Her mother tongue is Tulu, and she is also fluent in English, Marathi, and Hindi. She revealed that she went to M. M. K. College. She regularly sought to enter in intercollegiate competitions, participating in dance and fashion shows.
She competed in the Miss India 2009 competition, but was eliminated in an early round despite winning the Miss India Talented 2009 honour. She re-applied the following year and was the second runner-up in the Miss Universe India 2010 competition, while also being crowned Miss India South Glamorous Hair 2010 in the subsidiary competition. She made her acting debut in Mysskin's Tamil superhero film Mugamoodi (2012) opposite Jiiva, portraying the female lead character of Shakthi, a fun-loving girl who inspires the male lead to change his outlook on society. She was selected after Mysskin had seen still photographs from her pageant success, and Hegde helped practice Tamil dialogue for the film by writing and memorizing words in English, adding that the similarity between Tamil and her native tongue Tulu was also useful. Prior to release, the film garnered high expectations as a result of the novel theme of a superhero in Tamil films and the film took a grand opening at the box office in August 2012. However, the film received mixed to negative reviews from critics, hampering its progress, and the film ended up becoming a surprise commercial failure. Hegde's performance also received mixed reviews with a critic from Sify.com citing that she "disappoints", though a critic from The Hindu noted "she doesn’t have much scope for talent display." She earned a nomination for the Best Tamil Female Debut Actress at the 2nd South Indian International Movie Awards, but lost out to Lakshmi Menon.
Her second film release, the Telugu film Oka Laila Kosam (2014), featured her opposite Naga Chaitanya. She was praised for her performance in the movie. Around the same time, she bagged the nomination for Best Actress at the 62nd Filmfare Awards (South). Following a production house and the success of the director Vijay Konda's previous venture, had prompted her to work on the project. She undertook Telugu lessons to help her portray the leading female role. She is also currently filming for Mukunda opposite debutant Varun Tej, nephew of actor Chiranjeevi. The romantic-action tale, set in the backdrop of a village, will release in late 2014. In her second Telugu film, Hegde impressed many with her memorable performance in Gopikamma song from Mukunda.
In July 2014, Hegde agreed terms to make her Bollywood debut opposite Hrithik Roshan in Ashutosh Gowariker's period film Mohenjo Daro, set against the backdrop of the Indus Valley civilisation. She was selected after Gowariker's wife had spotted her in an advertisement and called her to audition, which she successfully completed. As a result of her commitment to the film, she revealed that she would take a break from appearing in regional Indian movies until her Hindi film's release and rejected an opportunity to work in a film directed by Mani Ratnam. Mohenjo Daro released in 2016 which was panned by critics and became major box office flop. In 2017, she appeared in Telugu-language vigilante action comedy film Duvvada Jagannadham alongside actor Allu Arjun.
In 2018, she featured in three Telugu films. The first is a Special appearance in the song "Jigelu Rani" for the period action Rangasthalam. Later in Saakshyam, alongside Bellamkonda Sreenivas and Trivikram Srinivas-directed action-drama Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava, opposite Jr. NTR. In 2019 too, she made an appearance in three films which are Maharshi, Gaddalakonda Ganesh and Housefull 4. Maharshi is a Telugu-language action film, directed by Vamsi Paidipally co-starred by Mahesh Babu. It received mixed reviews on release. Her second Telugu film in the same year was action-thriller the Harish Shankar-directed action thriller film Gaddalakonda Ganesh, a remake of the 2014 Tamil-language film Jigarthanda, featuring Varun Tej and Atharvaa along with her. Pooja returned to Bollywood after a gap of three years with Sajid Nadiadwala's comedy film directed by Farhad Samji, featuring her as Rajkumari Mala and Pooja (reincarnated), which went on to gross over ₹280 crore worldwide. Her 2020 Telugu-language action drama film Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo, alongside Allu Arjuna and directed by Trivikram, became one of the highest-grossing Telugu films of all time, grossing nearly ₹250 crore.
Her upcoming projects include a romantic multilingual film with Prabhas and Most Eligible Bachelor, directed by Bommarillu Bhaskar opposite Akhil Akkineni and produced by Bunny Vasu and Vasu Varma. As of February 2020. she will star opposite Salman Khan in his upcoming film Kabhi Eid Kabhi Diwali, which will be directed by Farhad Samji.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2014||Oka Laila Kosam||Nandana||Telugu|||
|2018||Rangasthalam||Herself||Special appearance in the song "Jigelu Rani"|||
|Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava||Aravinda|||
|Housefull 4||Rajkumari Mala / Pooja||Hindi|||
|2021||Most Eligible Bachelor||Vibha||Filming|||
Awards and nominations
|2013||Mugamoodi||South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Female Debutant – Tamil||Nominated|||
|2015||Oka Laila Kosam||South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Female Debutant – Telugu||Nominated|||
|2015||Filmfare Awards||Best Actress – Telugu||Nominated|||
|2016||Mohenjo Daro||Stardust Awards||Best Debut – Female||Nominated|||
|2017||Duvvada Jagannadham||Zee Telugu Golden Awards||Entertainer Of The Year (Female)||Won|||
|2019||Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava||Filmfare Awards||Best Actress – Telugu||Nominated|||
|2020||Maharshi||Zee Cine Awards Telugu||Favourite Actress||Won|||
- "Happy Birthday Pooja Hegde: Prabhas unveils her look from 'Radhe Shyam'; can you spot him too?". DNA India. 13 October 2020. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Mohenjo Daro star Pooja Hegde gives us a sneak peek into her wardrobe | fashion and trends. Hindustan Times (9 October 2016). Retrieved on 2016-11-04.
- 'Working with Bal Asha was amazing' – Pooja Hegde. coolage.in. 19 September 2012
- Manigandan, K. R. (19 August 2012). "Picture of confidence". The Hindu.
- "Review: Mugamoodi fails to impress". Rediff. 31 August 2012.
- Rangarajan, Malathi (1 September 2012). "Mugamoodi: Unmasked!". The Hindu.
- South Indian International Movie Awards. IMDb
- "Nominations for the 62nd Britannia Filmfare Awards (South)". Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Kumar, Hemanth (6 August 2014) Varun Tej's debut film gets into dubbing phase. Times of India
- Mukunda's audio to be launched in September. Times of India. 21 August 2014
- "Pooja Hegde signed opposite Hrithik Roshan in Mohenjo-Daro". Bollywood Hungama News Network. 12 July 2014.
- "Bengaluru is home for me: Pooja Hegde". Deccan Chronicle.
- Kamal, S. S. (21 August 2014) "Pooja Hegde focuses on Hrithik Roshan's Mohenjo-daro". The Times of India.
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (23 September 2014). "It’s her turn". The Hindu.
- "7 reasons why Hrithik Roshan's Mohenjo Daro turned out to be a DISAPPOINTMENT at the box office". Bollywood Life. 16 August 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Mohenjo Daro - Movie - Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Pooja Hegde finalised for Allu Arjun's next - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Bellamkonda Sreenivas' having hard time with hits". Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Aravindha Sametha box office: Jr NTR's actioner collects Rs 60 crore on opening day - The Indian Express". The Indian Express. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- "Maharshi box office collection Day 1: Mahesh Babu film is off to a great start". India Today. Ist.
- "Varun Tej's new film Valmiki launched". Indian Express. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "'Housefull 4': All you need to know about the film". m.timesofindia.com. 18 July 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Housefull 4". Bollywood Hungama.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (5 February 2020). "Allu Arjun donates Rs 10 lakh to FNA after Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo sets non-Baahubali record". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- "Buzz: Pooja Hegde allocates Prabhas' Jaan dates to Akhil Akkineni's film - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Pooja Hegde to romance Akhil Akkineni, DETAILS INSIDE". PINKVILLA.
- "Pooja Hegde Roped In For Akhil Akkineni Starrer 'Most Eligible Bachelor'". Republic World. 4 February 2020. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Pooja Hegde to star opposite Salman Khan in Kabhi Eid Kabhi Diwali". India Today. Ist. Retrieved 11 February 2020.
- "My dream debut:Pooja Hegde". Sify. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Pooja Hegde anxious on the sets of Oka Laila Kosam". The Times of India. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Varun Tej, Pooja Hegde's 'Mukunda' creates buzz with its first trailer; distributors bid high for movie rights". CNN-News18. 5 December 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Hollywood veteran to style Pooja Hegde in Mohenjo Daro". The Times of India. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "I'm super thrilled to team up with the Stylish Star: Pooja Hegde". The Times of India. 26 February 2017. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Pooja Hegde lands a special song in 'Rangasthalam'". Business Standard. 5 October 2017. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Pooja Hegde on playing spiritual leader in Saakshyam: I've always focused on character than my look". Firstpost. 27 July 2018. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Pooja Hegde dubs for herself in 'Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava'". The New Indian Express. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Maharshi actor Pooja Hegde: Mahesh Babu should become a director". Indian Express. 6 May 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Pooja Hegde As 'Sridevi' In New Film Valmiki. Director Talks About Her Role". NDTV. 17 September 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Pooja Hegde's Rajkumari Mala adds another pretty princess to Housefull 4's roster". Hindustan Times. 25 September 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Pooja Hegde reveals interesting titbit about her role in Allu Arjun's Ala Vaikunthapuramulo". International Business Times. 12 November 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "On Pooja Hegde's Birthday, Her First Look From Prabhas' Radhe Shyam". NDTV.com. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "Radhe Shyam First Look: Prabhas And Pooja Hegde Paint The Sky Red". NDTV.com. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- "Dhanush, Shruti Haasan win top laurels at SIIMA awards". Business Standard. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "SIIMA 2015 nominations list". IndiaGlitz. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "62nd Filmfare Awards South 2015 Nominations". Daily India. 4 June 2015. Archived from the original on 26 June 2015.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2016". Bollywood Hungama. 19 December 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Zee Telugu Golden Awards 2017 winners list and photos". International Business Times. 1 January 2018. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "Nominations for the 66th Filmfare Awards (South) 2019". Filmfare. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "Winners of the 66th Filmfare Awards (South) 2019". Filmfare. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- "Zee Cine awards Telugu 2020: Samantha Akkineni, Chiranjeevi and Nani win top laurels". Hindustan Times. 12 January 2020. Retrieved 14 January 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pooja Hegde.|