Hegde in 2016
|Occupation||Model and Actress|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Parent(s)||Manjunath and Latha Hegde|
Pooja Hegde is an Indian model and actress who appears in Telugu films and Hindi Films. A former beauty pageant contestant, she was crowned as the second runner-up at the Miss Universe India 2010 competition, before going on to make her acting debut in Mysskin's Tamil superhero film Mugamoodi (2012). She then featured in the Telugu films Oka Laila Kosam and Mukunda (2014), while signing on to feature as the lead actress in Ashutosh Gowariker's Mohenjo Daro (2016).
Pooja was born and brought up in Mumbai, Maharashtra, while her family is from Mangalore, Karnataka. She is fluent in Tulu her mother tongue, English, Kannada and Hindi. During her time at college, she revealed she gained confidence by helping out with her mother's network marketing business, improving her networking skills. Her father is Manjunath Hegde and her mother is Latha Hegde. She regularly sought to enter in intercollegiate competitions, participating in dance and fashion shows.
She competed in the Miss India 2009 competition, but was eliminated in an early round despite winning the Miss India Talented 2009 honour. She re-applied the following year and was the second runner-up in the Miss Universe India 2010 competition, while also being crowned Miss India South Glamorous Hair 2010 in the subsidiary competition. She made her acting debut in Mysskin's Tamil superhero film Mugamoodi (2012) opposite Jiiva, portraying the female lead character of Shakthi, a fun-loving girl who inspires the male lead to change his outlook on society. She was selected after Mysskin had seen still photographs from her pageant success, and Hegde helped practice Tamil dialogue for the film by writing and memorizing words in English, adding that the similarity between Tamil and her native tongue Tulu was also useful. Prior to release, the film garnered high expectations as a result of the novel theme of a superhero in Tamil films and the film took a grand opening at the box office in August 2012. However, the film received mixed to negative reviews from critics, hampering its progress, and the film ended up becoming a surprise commercial failure. Hegde's performance also received mixed reviews with a critic from Sify.com citing that she "disappoints", though a critic from The Hindu noted "she doesn’t have much scope for talent display." She earned a nomination for the Best Tamil Female Debut Actress at the 2nd South Indian International Movie Awards, but lost out to Lakshmi Menon.
Her second film release, the Telugu film Oka Laila Kosam (2014), featured her opposite Naga Chaitanya. She was praised for her performance in the movie. Around the same time, she bagged the nomination for Best Actress at the 62nd Filmfare Awards (South). Following a brief hiatus after Mugamoodi, she revealed that the film's prominent production house and the success of the director Vijay Konda's previous venture, had prompted her to work on the project. She undertook Telugu lessons to help her portray the leading female role. She is also currently filming for Mukunda opposite debutant Varun Tej, nephew of actor Chiranjeevi. The romantic-action tale, set in the backdrop of a village, will release in late 2014. In her second Telugu film, Hegde impressed many with her memorable performance in Gopikamma song from Mukunda.
In July 2014, Hegde agreed terms to make her Bollywood debut opposite Hrithik Roshan in Ashutosh Gowariker's forthcoming period film Mohenjo Daro, set against the backdrop of the Indus Valley civilisation. She was selected after Gowariker's wife had spotted her in an advertisement and called her to audition, which she successfully completed. As a result of her commitment to the film, she revealed that she would take a break from appearing in regional Indian movies until her Hindi film's release and rejected an opportunity to work in a film directed by Mani Ratnam.
|2012||Mugamoodi||Shakthi||Tamil||Nominated – SIIMA Award for Best Female Debutant – Tamil|
|2014||Oka Laila Kosam||Nandana||Telugu||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu
Nominated – SIIMA Award for Best Female Debutante – Telugu
|2016||Mohenjo Daro||Chaani||Hindi||Won - Lux Rose Golden Award 2016 for The Best Debutant of the Year - Hindi|
- "Pooja Hegde". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 10 April 2015. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- "It's not Amala Paul, a newbie bags it – Amala Paul -Pooja Hegde". behindwoods.com. 5 August 2011.
- Mohenjo Daro star Pooja Hegde gives us a sneak peek into her wardrobe | fashion and trends. Hindustan Times (9 October 2016). Retrieved on 2016-11-04.
- 'Working with Bal Asha was amazing' – Pooja Hegde. coolage.in. 19 September 2012
- Manigandan, K. R. (19 August 2012). "Picture of confidence". The Hindu.
- "Pooja Hegde is Mugamoodi`s girlfriend!". Sify. 15 September 2011
- Upadhyaya, Prakash (3 September 2012) "Interview: Jeeva’s down-to-earth actor – Pooja Hegde". www.filmibeat.com.
- "Review: Mugamoodi fails to impress". Rediff. 31 August 2012.
- "Movie Review : Mugamoodi". Sify.
- Rangarajan, Malathi (1 September 2012). "Mugamoodi: Unmasked!". The Hindu.
- South Indian International Movie Awards. IMDb
- "Nominations for the 62nd Britannia Filmfare Awards (South)". Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Luck, preparation are my strength: Pooja Hegde". Sify. 11 August 2014
- Kumar, Hemanth (6 August 2014) Varun Tej's debut film gets into dubbing phase. Times of India
- Mukunda's audio to be launched in September. Times of India. 21 August 2014
- "Pooja's second Tollywood venture Mukunda". Surli.in. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Pooja Hegde signed opposite Hrithik Roshan in Mohenjo-Daro". Bollywood Hungama News Network. 12 July 2014.
- "Bengaluru is home for me: Pooja Hegde". Deccan Chronicle.
- Kamal, S. S. (21 August 2014) "Pooja Hegde focuses on Hrithik Roshan's Mohenjo-daro". The Times of India.
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (23 September 2014). "It’s her turn". The Hindu.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. "SIIMA Awards 2015 Nominations: 'Manam', 'Race Gurram' Top Telugu Movie List". Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Pooja Hegde finalised for Allu Arjun's next". Times of India (15 September 2016)
- "Tiger Shroff and Pooja Hegde in Adhoora, Karan Johar confirms". 2016-08-15. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pooja Hegde.|