Pool safety camera
Pool Safety Cameras are video monitoring or recording systems designed to improve safety, such as by reducing drowning deaths, injuries, or criminal activity, in public and private pools, waterparks, thermal baths, or spa facilities. Manufacturers include SwimEye, AngelEye, Argusmatik, Poseidon, and Zwembadcamera.
Aquatics video monitoring systems are broken into two categories:
Passive systems provide lifeguards with views of below water swimmer activity and behaviour. The views are displayed at the lifeguard position/chair allowing them to incorporate them into their 10:20 scan to help with early identification of an incident developing or abnormal events occurring. They are primarily a means of addressing the physical limitations of viewing through glare and into blind spots in the swimming pool tank. They are designed to make the lifeguard's job easier. Active systems are designed to further help lifeguards in an attempt to address the physical limitations imposed by the human factor.
Monitoring systems are further broken into three broad classes:
- Surveillance for safety and security
- Remote monitoring
- Computer-aided drowning detection.
Surveillance for safety and security
Viewing aids are typically underwater video cameras for lifeguards to see various views underwater simultaneously from a single location. They can be used for all types of swimming pools. Cameras can view areas which would otherwise be obstructed. These passive systems while providing additional vision for the lifeguards can also distract them from scanning the pool because of the moving images on the monitor next to them. All cameras are recorded in real-time and the below water cameras are normally paired with above water cameras providing face-to-body matching if there is an incident where a swimmer needs to be identified but may not show their face below the water, for example pedophilia , or other offenses .
- The Spa of Bad Steben Strengthens its Security with Aimetis Symphony, Waterloo, ON (PRWEB) March 23, 2017
- Marinko, Paul (1 September 2005). "Underwater cameras save girl in swimming pool". The Guardian. Bangor, Wales. Retrieved Dec 30, 2015.
- Safety under review after flashing at pool · Justine Kelsie, staff Wednesday, Dec. 14th, 2016
- High-tech tools can help lifeguards prevent drowning, By Sarah Sookman, CBC News, Jul 22, 2010
- Preventing Drowning Accidents Using Thermal Cameras, Soren BonderupJonas Olsson, Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, volume 10073)
- Underwater camera traps pervert in swimming pool, St. Helen's Reporter, Thursday 10 November 2011
- Swimming pools install underwater cameras to deter paedophiles, Irish Examiner, March 30, 2004
- Paedo caught on underwater CCTV stalking kids at swimming baths, 3rd April 2018, Daily Star, Sunday
- City-owned pools to get security cameras to deter sexual predators, by Jeff Keele, Political Reporter, CTV News Winnipeg, Published Monday, October 17, 2016 12:34PM CST
- Teenie-Sex im Thermalbad So filmen uns Schweizer Badis unter Wasser, Blick, Publiziert am 11.06.2015, Aktualisiert am 26.07.2017
- Radio, Sveriges. "Könsuppdelade bubbelpooler efter sexuella ofredanden - P4 Stockholm", Jan. 8, 2016.