Pools on the Park
|Pools on the Park|
Main entrance and forecourt
|Address||Pools on the Park, Old Deer Park, Richmond|
|Operated by||Richmond Council's Feel Good Fitness|
|Owned by||Richmond Council|
|Type||heated indoor and outdoor|
|Former name(s)||Richmond Baths|
|Length||33.3 metres (109 ft)|
|Width||13 metres (43 ft)|
|Depth||3.6 metres (12 ft)|
|6-lane main pool, learner pool, 6-lane outdoor pool|
|parking, cafe, gym, sauna, steamroom, extensive grounds|
Pools on the Park (previously known as Richmond Baths) is a Grade II listed swimming pool and leisure facility in Old Deer Park in Richmond, London. Construction on the 6.5-acre (2.6 ha) site started in 1964 and was completed in 1966; the architect was Leslie Gooday. The pool replaced the previous Richmond baths nearby which had been built in Parkshot in 1882.
Pools on the Park is recognised by Historic England as illustrating "the more ambitious use of glazed curtain walling and the post-Wolfenden Report[note 1] emphasis on providing large banks of spectator seating".
- "Springhealth Leisure Club (Pools On The Park Richmond)". British Swimming & the ASA. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Historic England. "Richmond Baths, Old Deer Park (1246189)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 520. ISBN 0-14-0710-47-7.
- "The Old Deer Park, Richmond – A Framework for Conservation and Development" (PDF). The Richmond Society and others. June 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Andy Hoines (August 2013). "Richmond Pools on the Park". Lidos in London – open for swimming. Oliver Merrington. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "Sport & the Community: the report of the Wolfenden committee on Sport 1960". Sports Development. 2 September 2012. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "Designation Listing Selection Guide: Sports and Recreation Buildings". Publications. Historic England. December 2012. p. 7. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Played in Britain (2015). "28.14 Pools on the Park". Played in London: a directory of historic sporting assets in London. English Heritage, now Historic England. p. 139. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Feel Good Fitness is coming to Pools on the Park" (Press release). London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. 9 February 2016. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- Ian Mason (27 June 2009). "New bus link to Richmond's Pools on the Park". Richmond and Twickenham Times. Retrieved 17 October 2013.