Pools on the Park
|Pools on the Park|
Main entrance and forecourt
|Address||Pools on the Park, Old Deer Park, Richmond|
|Type||heated indoor and outdoor|
|Former names||Richmond Baths|
|Length||33.3 metres (109 ft)|
|Width||13 metres (43 ft)|
|Depth||3.6 metres (12 ft)|
|6-lane main pool, learner pool, 6-lane outdoor pool|
|parking, cafe, gym, sauna, steamroom, extensive grounds|
Pools on the Park (previously known as Richmond Baths) is a Grade II listed swimming pool and leisure facility in Old Deer Park in Richmond, London. Construction on the 6.5 acres (2.6 ha) site started in 1964 and was completed in 1966; the architect was Leslie Gooday. The pool replaced the previous Richmond baths nearby which had been built in Parkshot in 1882.
Pools on the Park is recognised by Historic England as illustrating "the more ambitious use of glazed curtain walling and the post-Wolfenden Report[note 1] emphasis on providing large banks of spectator seating".
The pool is built on land leased from the Crown Estate; the lease is due to expire on 4 April 2016. The pool and leisure facility is operated on behalf of Richmond Council by contractor SpringHealth Leisure.
- The Wolfenden Report referred to in this instance is that of the Committee on Sport & the Community, chaired by John Wolfenden, whose report, commissioned by the Central Council of Physical Recreation, reported in 1960.
- "Springhealth Leisure Club (Pools On The Park Richmond)". British Swimming & the ASA. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Richmond Baths, Old Deer Park, Richmond upon Thames". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 520. ISBN 0 14 0710 47 7.
- "The Old Deer Park, Richmond – A Framework for Conservation and Development" (PDF). The Richmond Society and others. June 2012. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Andy Hoines (August 2013). "Richmond Pools on the Park". Lidos in London – open for swimming. Oliver Merrington. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "Sport & the Community: the report of the Wolfenden committee on Sport 1960". Sports Development. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "Designation Listing Selection Guide: Sports and Recreation Buildings". Publications. Historic England. December 2012. p. 7. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Richmond Baths". Winners, 1967. Civic Trust Awards. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Ian Mason (27 June 2009). "New bus link to Richmond's Pools on the Park". Richmond and Twickenham Times. Retrieved 17 October 2013.