16 August 1983
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Died||26 December 2004
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poom Jensen (Thai: พุ่ม เจนเซน; rtgs: Phum; Thai pronunciation: [pʰǔm]; 16 August 1983 – 26 December 2004), born Bhumi Jensen (also spelled Poomi Jensen, Thai: ภูมิ เจนเซน; rtgs: Phumi; Thai pronunciation: [pʰuːmí]), was a grandson of King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand and a nephew of King Vajiralongkorn of Thailand, after whom he was named. He was the son of the King's eldest daughter, Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya, and her American (former) husband Peter Ladd Jensen.
Poom, as he was commonly known, had autism, his status helping heighten awareness of the condition in Thailand. He attended Kasetsart University Laboratory School in Bangkok. He spent his childhood in San Diego County, California, where he graduated from Torrey Pines High School.
Jensen drowned after being struck by the tsunami on 26 December 2004, while he and his family were on holiday at the La Flora Resort hotel in Khao Lak. His body was discovered on the beach the following day. His uncle, then-Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, identified his body and flew the rest of the family to Bangkok. On 30 April 2005, he received a royal funeral attended by his grandfather the King and virtually every member of the Royal Family.
His mother, Princess Ubolratana, established the Khun Poom Foundation in his memory, to aid children with autism and other learning disabilities. She also founded "To Be Number One Project" to campaign against drug usage among teenagers.
|Ancestors of Poom Jensen|
- "IN RE MARRIAGE OF JENSEN". Leagle. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "IN RE: the MARRIAGE of Julie and Peter JENSEN.". FindLaw. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- Karen Kucher (30 December 2004). "Prince dies in tsunami, was grad of Torrey Pines". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016.
- "Royal Family of Thailand". www.worldwhoswho.com. Retrieved 12 August 2008.
- Liu, Caitlin; Tony Perry (29 December 2004). "Thais Saddened by the Death of Young Prince". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Khun Poom Jensen, Son of Princess Ubolratana". Soravij.com. Retrieved 24 November 2007.
- His Majesty the King of Thailand has inspired Members of his own Family to be actively involved in development projects. Archived 20 August 2009 at the Wayback Machine.