||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Poonam Mahajan Rao|
|Member of the India Parliament
for Mumbai North Central
16 May 2014
|Preceded by||Priya Dutt|
|National President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha|
16 December 2016
|Preceded by||Anurag Thakur|
9 December 1980 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Parents||Pramod Mahajan (father, deceased)
Rekha Mahajan (mother)
Poonam Mahajan alias Poonam Vajendla Rao (born 9 December 1980) is a Member of Parliament from Mumbai North Central and a politician of the BJP. She appointed as President of Bhartiya Janta Party Yuva Morcha [BJYM] in December 2016, Youth Wing of Bhartiya Janta Party [BJP]. She is also the President of the Basketball Federation of India for which she is the first women President.
She was born in Mumbai to Rekha Mahajan and the late Pramod Mahajan leader of Bharatiya Janata Party. Her brother is Rahul Mahajan. She along with her brother studied abroad in the United States and lived in London, England. They still maintain a residence in the United Kingdom.
Following her father's murder in 2006, Poonam Mahajan joined the Bharatiya Janata Party as a member of the party, with the encouragement of her uncle late Gopinath Munde, himself an ex-Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra state. Now she's the national secretary of Bharatiya Janata Party
In the run up to the Lok Sabha elections she made efforts to register new and young voters in south Mumbai and subsequently expected to get the LS ticket from that area.
Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha is the youth wing of the parent body and as per internal constitution it elects/selects new team after every 3–5 years. Mahajan was made National Vice President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha in August 2010.
She contested the 2014 Indian general election from Mumbai North Central. and won with a margin of 1.86 lakh votes in one of the biggest upsets in this Lok Sabha elections in Maharashtra. She defeated her nearest rival and two-time MP Priya Dutt of the Congress.
- Poonam Mahajan becomes first women president of Basketball Federation of India
- "Poonam Mahajan is BJP Candidate from Mumbai North Central in Lok Sabha Polls". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Elections 2014: BJP's Poonam Mahajan defeats Priya Dutt from Mumbai North-Central
- Daughter steps into Pramod Mahajan’s shoes
- Poonam Mahajan set for active role in BJP
- Poonam Mahajan keen to carry forward her father`s legacy
- Poonam mahajan become party member
- Poonam mahajan likely to contest
- Poonam Mahajan denied ticket
- Pramod Mahajan dreamt of BJP-AGP alliance in Assam: Daughter
- MNS wave led to my defeat in Maharashtra assembly polls: Poonam Mahajan
- Poonam Mahajan is BJP youth wing VP