Popcorn chicken was invented by food technologist Gene Gagliardi. It was test-marketed in the United States from March 1992, and had been launched nationwide by September 1992. It has been periodically available in KFC outlets. It was re-introduced in the US in 1998, and again in 2001. It was later re-introduced once again in 2015, under the name "KFC Popcorn Nuggets".
The product is targeted at teenagers and young adults.
- Strategy January 25, 109 Trident, KFC cross-promo BYLINE: Patrick Allossery SECTION: Pg.8
- "Archives - Philly.com". articles.philly.com.
- Promo November 1998 Riding a Rage BYLINE: PROMO STAFF
- "KFC.co.uk - Chicken Popcorn? Sounds Good - So Good". Archived from the original on 2014-04-13.
- "KFC.ca - It's Finger Lickin' Good".
- "Regular Popcorn". KFC Australia.
- "Popcorn Chicken".
- "POPCORN CHICKEN - Best of both worlds". www.kfc.nl. Archived from the original on 2018-11-07.
- "Notre Carte". KFC France.