Pope Benedict IV
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Papacy began||1 February 900|
|Papacy ended||July 903|
|Born||Rome, Papal States|
|Other popes named Benedict|
Pope Benedict IV (Latin: Benedictus IV; died July 903) was Pope from 1 February 900 to his death in 903. He was the son of Mammalus, a native of Rome. The tenth-century historian Flodoard, who nicknamed him the Great, commended his noble birth and public generosity. He succeeded Pope John IX (898–900) and was followed by Pope Leo V (903).
Benedict IV upheld the ordinances of Pope Formosus, whose rotting corpse had been exhumed by Pope Stephen VI and put on trial in the Cadaver Synod of 897. In 901, after the Carolingian Emperors had disappeared, Benedict followed the example of Pope Leo III and crowned Louis of Provence as Holy Roman Emperor. In his reign, he also excommunicated Baldwin II of Flanders for murdering Fulk, Archbishop of Reims. He died in Rome during the summer of 903 and was buried in front of St Peter's Basilica, by the gate of Guido.
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Pope Benedict IV". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Platina, Bartolomeo (1479), The Lives of the Popes From The Time Of Our Saviour Jesus Christ to the Accession of Gregory VII, I, London: Griffith Farran & Co., pp. 241–242, retrieved 2013-04-25
- This article incorporates text from the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia article "Pope Benedict IV" by Horace K. Mann, a publication now in the public domain.
- Bertolini, Ottorino (1966). "Benedetto IV, papa". In Ghisalberti, Alberto M. Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani (DBI) (in Italian). 8. Rome: Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana. pp. 27–31.
- Ottorino Bertolini: Benedetto IV. In: Massimo Bray (ed.): Enciclopedia dei Papi, Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, Vol. 2 (Niccolò I, santo, Sisto IV), Rome, 2000, OCLC 313581688, pp. 54–58.
- Rudolf Schieffer: Benedikt IV in: Lexicon of the Middle Ages (Lexikon des Mittelalters, LexMA). Vol. 1, Artemis & Winkler, Munich/Zurich 1980, ISBN 3-7608-8901-8, Col. 1858.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benedict IV.|
- Papa Benedikto IV katika Kamusi Elezo ya Kikatoliki
- Encyclopædia Britannica
- Opera Omnia by Migne Patrologia Latina with analytical indexes
|Catholic Church titles|
|This biography of a Catholic Pope or a claimant to the papacy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|