|Initial release||March 4, 2005[nb 1]|
|Stable release||0.33.0 / May 14, 2015|
|Operating system||Linux, Unix, BSD, Windows|
|License||GPLv2 or GPLv3|
Poppler is a free software utility library for rendering Portable Document Format (PDF) documents. Its development is supported by freedesktop.org. It is commonly used on Linux systems, and is used by the PDF viewers of the open source GNOME and KDE desktop environments.
The project was started by Kristian Høgsberg with two goals: to provide PDF rendering functionality as a shared library for centralizing maintenance effort, and to go beyond the goals of Xpdf, and integrate with functionality provided by modern operating systems.
As of the version 0.18 release in 2011, the poppler library represents a complete implementation of ISO 32000-1, the PDF format standard, and is the first major free PDF library to support its forms (only Acroforms but not full XFA forms) and annotations features.
Numerous free software applications use Poppler to render PDF documents.
|pdftotext, pdftohtml, etc.||none|
Poppler can use two back-ends for drawing PDF documents, Cairo and Splash. Its features may depend on which back-end it employs. A third back-end based on Qt4's painting framework "Arthur", is available, but is incomplete and no longer under active development. Bindings exist for Glib, Qt3, and Qt4, that provide interfaces to the Poppler backends, although the Qt3 and Qt4 bindings support only the Splash backend. There is a patchset available to add support for the Cairo backend to the Qt4 bindings, but the Poppler project does not currently wish to integrate the feature into the library proper.
Some characteristics of the back-ends include:
- Cairo: Anti-aliasing of vector graphics, and transparent objects.
- Splash: Supports minification filtering of bitmaps.
Poppler comes with a text-rendering back-end as well, which can be invoked from the command line utility
pdftotext. It is useful for searching for strings in PDFs from the command line, using the utility
grep, for instance.
pdftotext file.pdf - | grep string
- This file-modification date appears on the version 0.1.1 tarball, the "first real release", according to Poppler's release history.
- "Poppler Releases". Retrieved 2015-02-06.
- "GNU PDF project leaves FSF High Priority Projects list; mission complete!". October 6, 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "Poppler README file". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- Bug 18935 - Form data is not saved for PDF files using XFA forms, will show old values when opened in acroread / Adobe Reader, 2008-12-07
- PDF v1.7 asks to upgrade Adobe Reader, 2009-01-27
- "Poppler Homepage". Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "Poppler Wiki. Information about Poppler". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- Re: [poppler] Qt4 Arthur
- giddie/poppler-qt4-cairo-backend · GitHub
- Bug 25240 – Cairo backend for Qt4 wrapper
- "Searching PDF Files With grep". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- Albert Astals Cid (29 August 2005) The Poppler Library, presentation at the 2005 KDE conference
- Official website
- Qt Quarterly: Poppler: Displaying PDF Files with Qt
- Poppler utils installer for windows.