Montgomery in May 2015
|Born||Poppy Petal Emma Elizabeth Deveraux Donahue
15 June 1972
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Residence||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Spouse(s)||Shawn Sanford (m. 2014)|
|Partner(s)||Adam Kaufman (2005–2011)|
Poppy Montgomery (born Poppy Petal Emma Elizabeth Deveraux Donahue; 15 June 1972) is an Australian-American actress. She played FBI agent Samantha Spade on the CBS mystery drama Without a Trace from 2002 to 2009, and has played Detective Carrie Wells on the CBS police drama Unforgettable since 2011.
Montgomery was born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia to Nicola (née Montgomery), an executive and market researcher, and Phil Donahue, a restaurateur. She is one of six children. Her parents named her and her four sisters, Rosie Thorn, Daisy Yellow, Lily Belle, and Marigold Sun, after flowers, and her brother, Jethro Tull, after the rock band.
Montgomery disliked school, being expelled from six private academies before finally dropping out at the age of 15 to pursue stage acting and to travel around Bali with her boyfriend at the time. Montgomery emigrated to the United States at the age of 18, arriving in Florida to meet a boyfriend whom she had met when he was an exchange student. After five days, she realized that "[she] couldn't stand him" and took a bus to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career.
When Montgomery moved to Los Angeles, she stayed with two of her brother's friends while sending a head shot every day to Julia Roberts' former manager, Bob McGowan, until he signed her. She appeared in several small television roles through the late-1990s, including NYPD Blue.
Her first big break was when she won the role of Marilyn Monroe in the 2001 CBS mini-series Blonde, based on a Joyce Carol Oates novel. The next role she was offered was a starring role as Samantha Spade on the CBS mystery drama Without a Trace. The series revolved around a missing persons unit of the FBI in New York City. On being offered the part, she later said, "They (the producers) called me up and said, 'Will you do it?' I said, 'Um' and they said, 'Anthony LaPaglia is in it' and I said, 'sure'. It was that simple." Montgomery portrayed Samantha Spade for seven seasons, from when the show began on 26 September 2002 until it ended on 19 May 2009.
That same year, she began to star in the CBS police drama Unforgettable as Carrie Wells, a former homicide detective with hyperthymesia which allows her to have perfect recall, who is convinced to join the NYPD in Queens by her ex-boyfriend, after leaving Syracuse because of the investigation into her sister's murder being shut down. She uses her memory to solve crimes. The first season ran from 20 September 2011 until 8 May 2012, and the show was initially cancelled by CBS on 12 May 2012. It was later renewed for a second season of 13 episodes, which ran from 28 July 2013 to 9 May 2014, and the third season ran from 29 June 2014 to 14 September 2014.
Montgomery met actor Adam Kaufman in 2005 in Mexico while working on the independent film Between and in 2010, they worked together again in the TV film Lying to be Perfect. In 2007, Kaufman began a recurring role on Without a Trace in the season five episode "At Rest" as Brian Donovan, Samantha's love interest for the rest of the series. In June 2007, Montgomery announced her pregnancy with Kaufman, which was written into season six. In December 2007, she gave birth to their son Jackson. Montgomery's Without a Trace co-star Anthony LaPaglia became Jackson's godfather. It was reported on 10 October 2011 in Life & Style, that Montgomery and Kaufman had separated.
In late 2011, Montgomery began dating Shawn Sanford, director of lifestyle marketing for Microsoft, whom she met in Puerto Rico. In April 2013, she gave birth to their daughter, Violet. In November 2014, she gave birth to their son Gus. On the 4 April 2014 episode of Live! with Kelly and Michael, Montgomery revealed that on Chinese New Year, she and Sanford were married at Disneyland in a ceremony with their children present.
|1994||Silk Stalkings||Angel||U.S. TV series; 2-part episode: "Natural Selection"|
|1994||Tammy and the T-Rex||Party Girl No. 1|
|1995||Jake Lassiter: Justice on the Bayou||Cindy||TV film|
|1995||Devil in a Blue Dress||Barbara's Sister|
|1996||Cold Equations, TheThe Cold Equations||Marilyn 'Lee' Cross||TV film|
|1996||Peacock Blues||TV short|
|1996||Party of Five||Allison||Episode: "Poor Substitutes"|
|1996||NYPD Blue||Lisa||Episode: "Burnin' Love"|
|1996||Relativity||Jennifer Lukens||Recurring role; 7 episodes|
|1997||Desert's Edge||Mary||TV short|
|1998||Dead Man on Campus||Rachel|
|1999||Wonder Cabinet, TheThe Wonder Cabinet||Dr. Sarah Coleman||TV pilot|
|1999||Other Sister, TheThe Other Sister||Caroline Tate|
|1999||Life||Older Mae Rose Abernathy|
|2000||Men Named Milo, Women Named Greta||Barri Noodleman||Short film|
|2000||Beat, TheThe Beat||Elizabeth Waclawek||Recurring role; 3 episodes|
|2001||Blonde||Norma Jean Baker / Marilyn Monroe||TV miniseries|
|2001||Going to California||Penelope||Episode: "Hurricane Al: A Tale of Key Largo"|
|2002||Glory Days||Ellie Sparks||Recurring role; 9 episodes|
|2002–2009||Without a Trace||Samantha Spade||Series regular (160 episodes)|
|2004||Raising Waylon||Julia Bellows||Special|
|2004||How to Lose Your Lover, How to Lose Your Lover||Allison|
|2005||Murder in the Hamptons||Generosa Rand||TV film|
|2005||Snow Wonder||Paula||TV film|
|2010||True Blue||Katherine Miller||TV pilot|
|2010||Lying to Be Perfect||Nola Devlin||TV film|
|2011||Magic Beyond Words||J. K. Rowling||TV film|
|2011–present||Unforgettable||Carrie Wells||Lead role|
|2015||Signed, Sealed, Delivered from Paris, With Love||Holly||TV film|
-  Caruthers, Pam. The Birthday Oracle. Arcturus Publishing (2010) ISBN 9781848585133
- Editors of Chase's Calendar of Events. Chase’s Calendar of Events 2014 E-Book. McGraw Hill Professional (2013) ISBN 978-0-07-183091-1. page 1995
- "United States Public Records, 1970-2009" index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KTQ1-Y91: accessed 18 August 2014), Poppy Donoghue, Residence, Santa Monica, California, United States; from a third party aggregator of publicly available information.
- Johnson, Tricia (11 May 2001). "Poppy Montgomery as Marilyn Monroe in 'Blonde'". ew.com. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
-  “Unforgettables' Poppy Montgomery Reveals Her Son's Almost-Unfortunate Name”. Access Hollywood. 14 November 2011
- Downie, Stephen (8 August 2007). "In the lucky bunch". couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- Hiltbrand, David (20 April 2005). "'Without a Trace' actress Poppy Montgomery 'driven'". The Post and Courier. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Tracing a path to LA". theage.com.au. 19 July 2007. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- Bianculli, David (11 May 2001). "'Blonde' Had Dark Roots". nydailynews.com. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Martindale, David. Meet Poppy Montgomery, TNT; accessed 12 July 2008.
- "Victoria to star in film on J.K. Rowling". Times Colonist. 12 February 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "2011 Fall Preview Video-Unforgettable", CBS.com, 22 May 2011
- "Poppy Montgomery in Sunnyside Queens". Sunnyside Post, 4 April 2011; accessed 14 May 2014.
- "Unforgettable". CBS.com. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Popppy Montogmery: Girls of Maxim". Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Jenny Sundel (12 June 2007). "Without a Trace's Poppy Montgomery Pregnant". People. Retrieved 12 June 2007.
- Poppy Montgomery Welcomes a Boy, People, 4 January 2008; accessed 12 July 2008.
- "Unforgettable star Poppy Montgomery splits with longtime beau". Life&Style. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Poppy Montgomery pregnant with second child". USA Today. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Poppy Montgomery Welcomes Daughter". Life&Style. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Marquina, Sierra (13 November 2014). "Poppy Montgomery Welcomes Third Child -- Find Out His Name!". US Weekly. Wenner Media. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Live! With Kelly and Michael, 4 April 2014 episode, with guests James Franco and Poppy Montgomery. Pictures were presented on the broadcast as proof.
- Billups, Andrea (4 April 2014). "Poppy Montgomery Marries Shawn Sanford". People.com. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Poppy Montgomery back on TV in 'Unforgettable'".
- Watkins, Jade. "She makes me want to be a better role model", Daily Mail, 10 July 2013; accessed 4 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poppy Montgomery.|