||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
Fernandez signs an autograph aboard USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19).
|Birth name||Maria Cielito Lukban Fernandez|
December 12, 1966 |
Quezon City, Philippines
|Genres||Pop, dance, OPM|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, actress, model|
|Labels||MCA Universal Records (present)|
|Associated acts||Martin Nievera, Zsa Zsa Padilla, Kuh Ledesma, Gary Valenciano, Regine Velasquez|
Maria Cielito Lukban Fernandez (born December 12, 1966), better known as Pops Fernandez, is a Filipino singer, entertainer, entrepreneur, TV host and actress. She is dubbed as the "Concert Queen".
Maria Cielito "Pops" Lukban Fernandez was born on December 12, 1966 in Quezon City, Philippines. She is the daughter of action star Eddie Fernandez and Dulce Lukban.
Fernandez began her music career at age 16 when she signed a contract with OctoArts Records in 1981. In 1982, Fernandez released her first album and co-hosted the Philippine television series Penthouse Live! with Martin Nievera. She became a popular celebrity in the Philippines. She has appeared on the covers of several Philippine magazines.
Fernandez was awarded the Best Female Musical Variety Show Host at the Philippine KBP Golden Dove Awards in 1999. She has also toured the United States, Japan, Hong Kong, Guam and Italy promoting her music to Philippine audiences. She also released her album Shindig Live in 2001.
She recorded a series of songs that reached the top of the Philippine charts and attracted a sell-out crowd in venues such as the Araneta Coliseum and the Rizal Football Stadium, as well as the General Motors Palace in Vancouver.
In June 2007, Fernandez co-hosted a Philippine show with Kuh Ledesma in Las Vegas. She was preparing for her December concert at the Araneta Coliseum marking her 25th anniversary in the Philippine entertainment industry. In 2008, she performed with other Philippine singers such as Regine Velasquez, Kuh Ledesma and Zsa Zsa Padilla at the Araneta Coliseum called Divas 4 Divas.
During her divorce in 1999, she ventured into doing movies such as Linlang starring Richard Gomez and Joyce Jimenez about a wronged wife out for revenge after learning of her husband's infidelity. The movie was directed by multi-awarded director, Maryo J. Delos Reyes, which won her the Box Office Queen Award. In 2000, she did another movie under Reyes' direction in the suspense/thriller, Gusto Ko Nang Lumigaya. These two movies showed her acting prowess and boosted her acting career.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (July 2014)|
In 2009, Fernandez performed in the US leg of her The Divas 4 Divas Tour together with Regine Velasquez, Kuh Ledesma and Zsa Zsa Padilla. She released a new album under MCA Universal entitled Hope, which is a collection of cover versions including a new version of her 1983 song "Little Star".
After appearing in I Love Betty La Fea, Fernandez became a judge in GMA Network's Are You The Next Big Star?, a singing contest/reality show. She also did a major concert with ex-husband Martin Nievera, entitled Missing You held at the Araneta Coliseum.
In 2010, Fernandez and Nievera reunited once again for a Valentine's Day concert entitled One More Time held at the SMX Convention Center. Aside from that, Fernandez was also a special guest in Sharon Cuneta's 'Up Close' U.S. concert. In 2011, she and Ogie Alcasid staged a back to back 2011 Valentine concert, 'I Valentine U' at Crowne Plaza Hotel. On June 14, she held a fabulous, fashion/style one-night concert, 'Pops in Fashion' at the Newport Performing Arts Theatre. In July, Fernandez and Ai Ai delas Alas paired up for the 'Unstoppable' concert at the Grand Theatre in Reno, Nevada. In August, she also guested in Erik Santos' 'Power Ikons' concert at the Music Museum.
In 2012, Fernandez was an in-demand artist abroad along with Martin Nievera and friend, Ai Ai delas Alas. They staged in Three's the Company, a musical love triangle in California on April 20. Fernandez and Nievera also did a series of shows, 'Twogether' in Toronto and Calgary on May 4 and May 6. They also released an all duet covers album entitled No More Words. Back in the Philippines, Fernandez along with Jim Paredes hosted the one night all-star OPM icons concert 'ICONS at MOA' on June 16. She was also invited to perform in Yokohama, Japan for the Philippine Barrio Fiesta in September. In the same month, she also hosted the PMPC Star Awards for Music and was given a special award, Natatanging Alagad ng Musika along with some OPM veterans. She also signed up to a contract with Viva Entertainment Group in November. In December, along with Lani Misalucha, she was given an honor of Walk of Fame by Kuya Germs in Eastwood City. Aside from singing and performing, Fernandez is also a businesswoman who created Cheapipay, a one-stop-shop online store.
In early 2013, Fernandez, Martin Nievera, Ogie Alcasid and Regine Velasquez teamed up for a Valentine's Day concert called 'Foursome' held at the SM Mall of Asia (MOA) Arena. Because of its success, the concert had an encore performance on March 16, 2013.
Fernandez was previously annulled to singer Martin Nievera with whom she has two sons, Robin and Ram. She has three other siblings: Edwin, Joey and Jocelyn.
- 1982: Pops
- 1983: Pops Fernandez in Love
- 1984: Heading for the Top
- 1986: The Best of Pops Fernandez
- 1990: Awesome
- 1991: Change
- 1993: Pops
- 1996: Colours
- 1999: Nagmamahal Pa Rin Sa 'Yo
- 1999: Moments
- 2001: Shindig Live
- 2001: The Story of Pops Fernandez
- 2002: The Way I Feel Inside
- 2004: When Words Are Not Enough
- 2006: Silver
- 2006: Don't Say Goodbye (re-release)
- 2009: Hope
- 2012: No More Words (collaboration with Martin Nievera)
- "Don't Say Goodbye"
- "Gusto Ko Nang Lumigaya"
- "Kaya Pala"
- "Little Star"
- "Mahal Pa Rin Kita"
- "Bakit Ngayon Ka Lang" with Freestyle (live)
- "I Say a Little Prayer" with Janno Gibbs
- "Points of View" with Joey Albert
- "Nanliligaw Naliligaw" with Mulatto
- "It's You" with Kris Lawrence
- "Come What May" with BLISS
- "Kumusta Ka" with Robin Padilla
- "It's You" with Kris Lawrence
- "Always & Forever" with Martin Nievera
- "Goodbye" with Martin Nievera
- "Goodbye Girl" with Martin Nievera
- "High On Love" with Martin Nievera
- "One Heart" with Martin Nievera
- "Pagdating Ng Panahon" with Martin Nievera
- "Nandito Ako" with Martin Nievera
- "Forevermore" with Martin Nievera
- "Hands To Heaven" with Martin Nievera
- "Smile" with Martin Nievera
- "Umagang Kay Ganda" with Martin Nievera
- "Reunited" with Martin Nievera
- "You've Got A Friend" with Dr. Manny Calayan
- "Friends" with Robin Nievera
- "You'll Be In My Heart" with Robin Nievera
- "Cruisin" with Keempee de Leon (live)
- "Give Me Five" with Tito,Vic and Joey
- Zsazsa Zaturnnah Ze Moveeh (2006)
- Videoke King (2002)
- Gusto Ko Ng Lumigaya (2000)
- Linlang (1999)
- Tamis Ng Unang Halik (1989)
- Kung Maibabalik Ko Lang (1989)
- Magic to Love (1989)
- Twinkle, Twinkle Magic Star (1988)
- Sa Puso Ko Hahalik Ang Mundo (1988)
- Stupid Cupid (1988)
- Shoot That Ball (1987)
- Si Mister At Si Misis (1986)
- Always and Forever (1986)
- Payaso (1986)
- Bilanggo...Prisons No. 10069 (1985)
- Give Me Five (1984)
- Paano Ba ang Magmahal (1984)
- Just Say You Love Me (1982)
- Pag-ibig Pa (1982)
- Love Ko 'To (1980)
- Eat Bulaga! as herself (2013) - GMA Network
- The Ryzza Mae Show as herself (2013) - GMA Network
- Sarap Diva as herself (2013) - GMA Network
- Party Pilipinas as herself (2012) - GMA Network
- Celebrity Duets: Philippine Edition Season 3 as herself (2009) - GMA Network
- Are You The Next Big Star? as judge (2009) - GMA Network
- I Love Betty La Fea as Paulina (2009) - ABS-CBN
- POPS! (2005) - ABC
- Sing-Galing ni Pops (2004) - ABC
- Twin Hearts (2003–2004) - GMA Network
- All Together Now (2003) - GMA Network
- SOP (2003–2004) - GMA Network
- Morning Girls (2002) - ABS-CBN
- Nagmamahal Pa Rin Sa'yo (1999) - ABS-CBN
- ASAP (1995–2003; 2015-present) - ABS-CBN
- P.O.P.S. (Pops on Primetime Saturday / 1992) - ABC
- Penthouse Live! (1982–1987) - GMA Network
- Eat Bulaga! (1979) - RPN
- Folks Meet Pops
- Sweat It Out
- Heading for the Stars
- Something Good for '85
- Always Pops
- Always and Forever
- One Heart
- High on Love
- Awesome Escape
- Just Believe
- Just Believe in Dream
- King and Queen of Hearts
- Team Love
- Twogether '95
- Shindig 2
- Pops 2002
- Martin and Pops 2003
- It Girl
- Queens on Fire
- Divas 4 Divas
- Missing You
- One A-more Time
- Pops in Fashion
|This section requires expansion. (May 2014)|
|2010||GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Female Concert Performer of the Year||Won|
- Pops Fernandez Official
- FHM Magazine Philippines
- "ABS-CBN big winner at GMMSF Entertainment Awards". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2014-05-21.