This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Star at Warped Tour in Mansfield, Massachusetts, in 2009
|Born||Jeffrey Lynn Steininger
November 15, 1985
Orange County, California, U.S.
|Total views||506 million+|
Jeffree Star (born Jeffrey Lynn Steininger on November 15, 1985) is an American singer-songwriter, make-up artist, fashion designer and model from Orange County, California. He started his music career on MySpace with over 25 million plays on his self-released music. After releasing two extended plays, Star released his debut album, Beauty Killer (2009), under Popsicle Records. Star is also known for his fashion line, Beauty Forever, and his transgressive, gender-bending appearance and persona.
Jeffree Star was born in Orange County, California. His father died when Star was 6 years old and he subsequently was raised solely by his mother, a model who frequently went on assignments. As a child, Star began regularly experimenting with his mother's makeup and convinced her to let him wear it to school when he was in junior high. He moved to Los Angeles following his graduation from high school, supporting himself with various makeup, modeling, and music jobs. He later recalled spending his time on weekends "using a fake ID to attend Hollywood clubs dressed in mini dresses and nine inch high heels, where celebrities would contract [Star] for makeup work at their homes". Star reports that his weekend socializing at clubs and the makeup advice he offered eventually led to his modeling career.
Star used popular social networking website MySpace to further both his music as well as fashion design career. He also used MySpace for blogging about his life, while making social commentary on "self-image and confidence", fame, beauty, and life. Star had built up a fan base on several websites but convinced many to join him on MySpace, giving his profile a large number of followers from the beginning. His MySpace photoshoots would frequently get over 50,000 comments when posted. Star also gained fame as one of the most popular unsigned artists, with the daily rankings placing him in the top tier on MySpace.
Star's music career as an electronica and pop vocalist began when he befriended Peaches' drummer Samantha Maloney, who encouraged him to make music. During the summer of 2007, Star was advertised as a part of the True Colors Tour 2007, which traveled through 15 cities in the United States and Canada. The tour, sponsored by the LGBT Logo channel, began on June 8, 2007 to coincide with Pride month. Star released his first and only studio album Beauty Killer in 2009, and appeared in the second version of Kesha's music video "Take It Off" in 2010. Star has worked with several other musical performers, including Blood on the Dance Floor, Deuce, Millionaires, and Larry Tee.
- Plastic Surgery Slumber Party - EP (2007)
- Cupcakes Taste Like Violence - EP (2008)
- Beauty Killer (2009)
- Blush - Single (2010)
- Mr. Diva - EP (2012)
- Love to My Cobain - Single (2013)
|2007–2011||LA Ink||Himself||"Kat's in Love" (Season 1, episode 10)
"Tats for Japan" (Season 4, episode 16)
|2007||Spread Entertainment||Himself||Season 1, episode 11|
|2007–2008||Video on Trial||Himself||"Totally '80s Video on Trial" (Season 2, episode 20)
Archive; "Video on Trial: 100!" (Season 4, Episode 4)
|Year||Company and product||Notes||Ref.|
|2015||Jeffree Star Cosmetics||Commercial for Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick which features the song "Catwalk".|||
- Concert tours
- Jeffree Star Will Steal Your Man Tour (2007–2008)
- I'm So Fierce! Tour (2008)
- I'm Pregnant, Let's Party! Tour (2009)
- I'm Cold, Keep Me Warm...Bitch! Tour (2009; canceled)
- 2 DRUNK 2 FUCK Tour (2010)
- Lookin' Hot and Dangerous Tour (2010)
- The Fresh Meat Tour (2010–2011)
- The Scene is Dead Tour (with Blood on the Dance Floor) (2012)
- Cosmetics tour
- Extreme Beauty Tour (2014—ongoing)
- "About". YouTube. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- Immediato, Linda (May 9, 2007). "Jeffree Star – The fairest one of all". LA Weekly. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- "Jeffree Star – tickets, tour dates, news". Allgigs.co.uk. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Bolter, Helen (November 29, 2007). "Let's Talk About C*NT! - Jeffree Star". Gigwise. Archived from the original on December 19, 2008. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Haglund, David. "Tila Tequila, the first star of MySpace. - Slate Magazine". Slate.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "LAist Interview: Jeffree Star". laist. March 10, 2008. Archived from the original on March 14, 2008. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "SOME TRUTH FOR YOU.." Buzznet. Jeffree Star's Official Website. Archived from the original on May 17, 2010.
- Star, Jeffree (July 20, 2007). "Jeffree Star's MySpace profile". MySpace. Archived from the original on September 11, 2007. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- Emonds, Craig (April 2, 2007). "MySpace continues to expedite music careers". South End Newspaper. Retrieved July 21, 2007.[dead link]
- Weiner, Jonah (April 11, 2006). "Tila Tequila for President". Slate. Retrieved July 29, 2006.
- Naff, Lycia (June 23, 2007). "Britney to Join Cyndi Lauper's Tour for Surprise Show – Britney Spears". People.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Wayback.archive.org. September 30, 2007. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Lecaro, Lina. "Which Flamboyant LA Underground Characters Are Infiltrating the Mainstream? And Which One is the Next Cross(dressing)over Star?". www.laweekly.com. LA Weekly. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Deuce Nine Lives". sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Review:Millionaires Ft. Jeffree Star – Catch Me If You Can (Single)". Hit The Floor Magazine. April 4, 2011. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Larry Tee Club Badd review". allmusic.com. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- Star, Jeffree. "Boyfriend Q&A: Part 1".
- Star, Jeffree. "Boyfriend Q&A: Part 2".
- "Jeffree Star on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Jeffree Star Cosmetics – Velour Liquid Lipstick commercial". Retrieved June 21, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeffree Star.|
|Wikinews has related news: Von D from "LA Ink" TV series sets world record for tattooing|