Popular (The Veronicas song)
|Single by The Veronicas|
|from the album Hook Me Up|
|Released||October 11, 2008 (Digital Download)|
|Recorded||The Veronicas living room, Los Angeles, California|
|Writer(s)||Beni Barca, Toby Gad, Jess Origliasso, Lisa Origliasso|
|The Veronicas singles chronology|
"Popular" is a song recorded by Australian duo The Veronicas for their second studio album Hook Me Up (2007). Produced by Toby Gad, it was released as the album's final single on October 11, 2008 as a digital download. Written by The Veronicas' twin sisters, Lisa Origliasso and Jessica Origliasso, together with Beni Barca and Gad, it was recorded in Los Angeles, California. The track pokes fun at people with privileged lifestyles.
"Popular" received mostly positive reviews from critics, who praised the fun lyrics and named it a highlight of the album. The recording was released to radio in the week of 12 October 2008, and peaked at number eleven on the Australian Airplay Charts.
Writing and inspiration
"Popular" was written by The Veronicas' twin sisters, Jessica Origliasso and Lisa Origliasso, together with Beni Barca and Toby Gad. It was recorded at Jessica and Lisa's living room in Los Angeles, California, with Gad producing the track. In an interview with Cameron Adams of Herald Sun Lisa elaborated on the song's subject matter: "We wanted something different. We wanted to take the piss out of celebrity life. We thought it was hysterical." When asked about the rapped verses in the recording, Jessica replied, "I'm rapping! I'm doing it for all the unrhythmic white chicks in Australia! With a really thick Australian accent!"
Emily Mackay of NME called "Popular" "plain old up-yours fun", while K. Ross Hoffman of AllMusic said the Australian accent was used to "excellent effect" in the rapped verses. Ben Norman of About.com found the lyrics "humorous" and named the track one of his favourites from the album, calling it: "Upbeat, very poppy, but eventually the complete inanity of it grew on me... Don't discount this song due to the extreme contrast it poses to the rest of the disc or their previous material. Give it a shot, you might just like it." Similarly, Nick Levine of Digital Spy declared "Popular", along with "Untouched" and "This Is How It Feels", as one of the highlights on the album. Evan Sawdey of PopMatters was impressed with the song which made for a "glorious" end to Hook Me Up, an album he felt was full of hooks. He said: "the gloriously trashy “Popular” seems fueled entirely by dance floor sweat, being both ridiculous and confident in equal measure."
David James Young of Sputnikmusic compared "Popular" to an inbred lovechild of Peaches and Princess Superstar, saying: "what can be said about this one? Basically, if Peaches went out and got completely hammered with Princess Superstar and they managed to have some kind of inbred lovechild with “Best Damn Thing”-era Avril Lavigne as the midwife, it would probably come out sounding something like this. And believe me, this is definitely not a compliment. Talking about the song, the girls say that the song is “taking the piss out of famous people”. However, in a similar vein to Good Charlotte atrocity “I Just Wanna Live”, you simply cannot tell and it comes off as vain and cheap."
- iTunes single
- "Popular" – 2:44
Credits and personnel
- Songwriting – Jessica Origliasso, Lisa Origliasso, Beni Barca, Toby Gad
- Production – Toby Gad
- Instruments and programming – Toby Gad
- Mixing – Toby Gad
- Vocals – Jessica Origliasso, Lisa Origliasso
Credits adapted from Hook Me Up album liner notes.
|Australian Airplay Chart||11|
|Australia||11 October 2008||Digital download|
- Staff (13 October 2008). "The Veronicas: Popular". auspOp. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Australian Music Report Weekly Hot 100 - Chart week ending date 29/02/09". Australian Music Report. Archived from the original on 22 January 2009. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- Hook Me Up (liner notes). The Veronicas. Sire Records. 2007. 9362499154.
- Adams, Cameron (8 November 2007). "The Veronicas dish the dirt". Herald Sun. The Herald and Weekly Times (News Corporation). Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Mackay, Emily (2 June 2009). "Album review: The Veronicas – Hook Me Up". NME. UK: IPC Media.
- Hoffman, K. Ross. "Hook Me Up - The Veronicas". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Norman, Ben. "The Veronicas' Hook Me Up". About.com (The New York Times Company). Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Levine, Nick (17 October 2009). "The Veronicas: 'Hook Me Up' - Music Album Review - Digital Spy". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK (National Magazine Company Ltd.). Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Sawdey, Evan (15 September 2008). "The Veronicas: Hook Me Up". PopMatters. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Young, David James (2 November 2007). "The Veronicas - Hook Me Up (album review)". Sputnikmusic (IndieClick Music Network). Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "'Popular' – Single – The Veronicas". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 1 July 2012.