This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||SGX: P29|
|Industry||Retail & distribution, publishing, e-Learning & property development|
|Founded||Singapore (1924 - as Cheng Hing Company)|
|Chou Cheng Ngok (Chairman)|
|Products||Books, stationery, assessment titles, multimedia Products|
Popular Holdings (Traditional Chinese: 大眾書局; Simplified Chinese: 大众书局), commonly called Popular, is a Singapore-based company that publishes, distributes, and retails Chinese and English language books. It has subsidiaries in countries such as Canada, the People's Republic of China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, United Kingdom and Taiwan. In the financial year 2011, it had a turnover of S$522.4 million.
The first Popular Bookstore was set up in 1936 by Chou Sing Chu in North Bridge Road, focusing on retailing Chinese books and stationery. In March 2006, Popular Holdings was the main organiser of BookFest@Singapore, the first Chinese-language book fair ever held outside of China. In May 2006, Popular Holdings staged the inaugural BookFest@Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur. It is a platform for established publishers to showcase their latest publications and renowned authors to meet and interact with the readers. The inaugural BookFest@Hong Kong was organized in 2008. By 2009, the annual BookFest has become a major event of the book industries in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong.
Board of directors
Popular is headed by Chou Cheng Ngok, who is the Executive Chairman and Managing Director of the Group. Lim Lee Ngoh heads the operations in Malaysia and Singapore, while her counterpart in Greater China is Poon Chi Wai, Ponch. Other directors include Lim Soon Tze, David Chia Tian Bin and Desmond Wee Guan Oei.
Former directors include Ching Ging Oong, Poh Ping Tek, Ching Cheng Pong, Ang Tuak Liak, Vangatharaman Ramayah and Chim Choon Cheng.
Group of Companies
The Group currently carries out its publishing activities through subsidiaries operating in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Canada. Its bookstore operations currently have a network of over 130 Popular Bookstores in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong. It now has its core businesses in retail, distribution, publishing and e-learning.
The list of its subsidiaries is listed below:
- Ampress Limited
- Arajasa Corporation Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia)
- Beijing Tsinghua Timefound & Cisco System Technology Co., Ltd (China)
- CD Rama Limited (Hong Kong)
- CD Rama Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia)
- Cyber Progress Technology Limited
- Educational Publishing House Limited (Hong Kong)
- Yuk Choi Book Store (Hong Kong)
- Educational Publishing House Pte Ltd (Singapore)
- EduHealth Limited
- EduLand Pte. Ltd. (Singapore)
- EduPlanner Pte. Ltd. (Singapore)
- eNet Digital Pacific Limited
- English Language Publishing Limited (Hong Kong)
- EPH Publishing (M) Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia)
- Guangzhou Cyber Progress Information Technology Limited (China)
- Harris Book Company Limited (Hong Kong)
- Harris Book Company Pte. Ltd. (Singapore)
- Kam Pui Enterprises Limited (Hong Kong)
- Kinder Education Press Limited (Hong Kong)
- Learning Edvantage Pte Ltd
- New Asia Publishing House Limited (Hong Kong)
- New Edge International Limited
- Novum Organum Publishing House (M) Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia)
- Novum Organum Publishing House Pte Ltd (Singapore)
- One-Stop Popular Bookmart (B) Sdn Bhd
- Pan Lloyds Publishers Limited (Hong Kong)
- Popular Book Co Pty Ltd
- Popular Book Co. (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia)
- Popular Book Company (Pte) Ltd (Singapore)
- Popular Book Company Limited (Hong Kong)
- Popular Digital Products (Shenzhen) Ltd. (China)
- Popular e-Learning (Beijing) Ltd. (China)
- Popular e-Learning (H.K.) Limited (Hong Kong)
- Popular e-Learning Holdings Pte Ltd (Singapore)
- Popular Kids Co., Ltd.
- Popular Modern Books Company Limited
- Popular Office Products (S) Pte Ltd (Singapore)
- Popular UK Pte Limited (British)
- Popular Yuchen Book Limited (Taiwan)
- Popular Yuchen Company Limited (Taiwan)
- PopularWorld (Beijing) Limited (China)
- PopularWorld.com Pte Ltd (Singapore)
- Town4kids Limited (Hong Kong)
- "Popular Holdings Limited 2011 Annual Report" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "Read All About It in Singapore". China Daily. 11 March 2006. Retrieved 2006-07-28.
- "Popular Holdings Limited 2009 Annual Report — Corporate Milestones". Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- "Board of Directors". POPULAR. POPULAR Holdings Limited. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "About POPULAR — Board of Directors". Popular Holdings. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "About POPULAR — Group of Companies". Popular Holdings. Retrieved 2008-01-17.