Popular Medical College
|পপুলার মেডিকেল কলেজ|
Logo of Popular Medical College
|Type||Private medical school|
|University of Dhaka|
|Chairman||Md. Mustafizur Rahman|
|Principal||T.I.M. Abdullah Al Faruk|
|Location||Dhanmondi, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Popular Medical College (PMC) (Bengali: পপুলার মেডিকেল কলেজ) is a private medical school in Bangladesh, established in 2010. It is located in Dhanmondi, Dhaka. It is affiliated with University of Dhaka as a constituent college.
It offers a five-year course of study leading to a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree. A one-year internship after graduation is compulsory for all graduates. The degree is recognised by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council.
Organization and administration
The college offers a five-year course of study, approved by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC), leading to a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree from Dhaka University. After passing the final professional examination, there is a compulsory one-year internship. The internship is a prerequisite for obtaining registration from the BMDC to practice medicine. In October 2014, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare capped admission and tuition fees at private medical colleges at 1,990,000 Bangladeshi taka (US$25,750 as of 2014) total for their five-year courses.
Admission for Bangladeshis to the MBBS programmes at all medical colleges in Bangladesh (government and private) is conducted centrally by the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS). It administers a written multiple choice question exam simultaneously throughout the country. Candidates are admitted based primarily on their score on this test, although grades at Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSC) level also play a part. As of July 2014, the college is allowed to admit 75 students annually.
- "Popular Medical College". World Directory of Medical Schools.
- "About Popular Group". Popular Pharmaceuticals. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "List of Constituent Colleges/Institutes under the University of Dhaka". University of Dhaka. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "From Chairman's Desk". Popular Medical College. Archived from the original on 15 March 2014. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Principal". Popular Medical College. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "List of Recognized medical and dental colleges". Bangladesh Medical & Dental Council.
- "Govt to fix maximum fees". New Age (Dhaka). 27 October 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Health Bulletin 2014" (PDF). Bureau of Health Education (2nd ed.). Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. December 2014. p. 227. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
|This article about education in Bangladesh is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|