Popular Songs (Yo La Tengo album)
|Studio album by Yo La Tengo|
|Released||September 8, 2009|
|Recorded||Early 2009, Hoboken, New Jersey and Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Yo La Tengo chronology|
|Singles from Popular Songs|
- At War With the Entropy of Nature / Ghost Don't Always Want to Come Back (2002) (cover)
- A Dark Day for the Dinosaurs (Radio Edit) (2000-2001) (inlay)
- Sometimes Billie Is All That Holds Me Together (1998-1999) (back cover)
Four videos were made by director John McSwain to accompany one song from the album each. In the weeks leading up to the release of the album, a new video was posted on Matador's various "partner sites" and collected on Matador's own website. The first video, for "Here to Fall," was posted on Matador's own "Matablog" on July 28, 2009.
|The A.V. Club||A-|
|Drowned in Sound||8/10|
Popular Songs leaked onto the Internet on July 26; in response, Matador began streaming the album to Buy Early Get Now customers on July 28, more than a week before the stream was originally advertised to begin.
Popular Songs was released on September 8, 2009 by Matador. It is their eighth album to be given Matador's Buy Early Get Now treatment, in which it came along with a vinyl LP featuring Yo La Tengo's original score from the film Adventureland, as well as three bonus tracks as download in MP3 and FLAC. The first two of these downloads were demo versions of two album tracks and became available shortly before the release of the CD. The third download became available on December 15, 2009. The same track is also available in the iTunes Store and on the Japanese CD issue of the album.
All songs written by Georgia Hubley, Ira Kaplan and James McNew.
- "Here to Fall" - 5:45
- "Avalon or Someone Very Similar" - 3:17
- "By Two's" - 4:29
- "Nothing to Hide" - 2:46
- "Periodically Double or Triple" - 3:53
- "If It's True" - 2:39
- "I'm on My Way" - 4:35
- "When It's Dark" - 3:54
- "All Your Secrets" - 4:26
- "More Stars Than There Are in Heaven" - 9:39
- "The Fireside" - 11:25
- "And the Glitter Is Gone" - 15:54
- Bonus tracks
- "You've Got a Friend" (Carole King) - 4:10 (Japanese CD, Argentine CD, Buy Early Get Now & iTunes bonus track)
- "Nothing to Hide (Demo)" - 9:47 (Buy Early Get Now bonus track)
- "Periodically Double or Triple (Demo)" - 7:39 (Buy Early Get Now bonus track)
String arrangements by Richard Evans
- David Angel, Pamela Sixfin - violin
- Monisa Angell, Kristin Wilkingson - viola
- John Catchings - cello
- recorded by John Mark Painter at IHOF in Nashville
- Doug Wieselman - clarinet
Produced by Roger Moutenot Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound
- "Matablog". Matador Records. 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Yo La Tengo Biography". Matador Records. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Pitchfork / Take Cover". Pitchfork Media Inc. 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2014-06-16.
- "Matablog". Matador Records. 2009-07-28. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- Allmusic review
- The A.V. Club review
- BBC review
- Drowned In Sound review
- The Guardian review
- musicOMH review
- Pitchfork Media review
- PopMatters review
- Rolling Stone review
- Slant Magazine review
- "Twitter / Matador Records: Yo La Tengo - 'Popular Son". Twitter.com. 2009-07-28. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Buy Early Get Now". Buy Early Get Now. 2009-03-22. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Yo La Tengo – Popular Songs (CD, Album) at Discogs". Discogs. Retrieved 2012-03-19.