Population Services International
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Formation||January 1, 1970|
|Legal status||501(c)(3) charitable organization|
|Headquarters||Washington, D.C., United States|
|J. Brian Atwood, Ph.D.|
Population Services International (PSI) is a 501(c)(3) registered nonprofit global health organization with programs targeting malaria, child survival, HIV, and reproductive health. Working in partnership within the public and private sectors, and harnessing the power of the markets, PSI provides life-saving products, clinical services and behavior change communications that empower the world's most vulnerable populations to lead healthier lives.
Its world headquarters are in Washington, D.C. and its European offices are in Amsterdam. The organization employs more than 250 U.S. staff, more than 150 overseas expatriate staff and 8,000 local PSI affiliate staff. Major donors include the governments of the United States, United Kingdom, Germany and the Netherlands; the Global Fund, United Nations agencies, private foundations, corporations and individuals. It is a member of the U.S. Global Leadership Coalition, a Washington D.C.-based coalition of over 400 major companies and NGOs that advocates for a larger International Affairs Budget, which funds American diplomatic and development efforts abroad.
Board of directors
The board of directors includes
- J. Brian Atwood: Chair | Senior Fellow, Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs at Brown University – Providence, RI
- Gail Harmon: Vice Chair | Partner, Harmon, Curran, Spielberg + Eisenberg - Washington, D.C.
- Frank Loy: Chair | Former Under Secretary of State for Global Affairs, U.S. Department of State - Washington, D.C.
- Rehana Ahmed: Physician - Nairobi, Kenya
- Kofi Amoo-Gottfried: Head of Consumer Marketing, internet.org - Palo Alto, CA
- Carolyn Brehm: Founder and CEO, Brehm Global Ventures, LLC - Washington, D.C.
- Niteesh K. Choudhry: Professor, Harvard Medical School - Boston, MA
- Kunle Elebute: Partner and Head of Financial Advisory Services, KPMG - Lagos, Nigeria
- Maureen Erasmus: Advisory Partner, Bain & Co. - London, UK
- Kathryn A. Forbes: Vice President Administration and CFO, Electric Applications Inc. - Phoenix, AZ
- Michael Goettler: Global President, Rare Diseases, Pfizer Inc. - New York, NY
- Salma Mazrui-Watt: Chief Executive Officer, Kibeni Ltd - Nairobi, Kenya
- Klaus Scharioth: Dean of the Mercator Fellowship on International Affairs, Former Ambassador - Berlin, Germany
- Martin Schneider: General Partner, Fine Capital Partners - New York, NY
- Pam Scott: Founder, The Curious Company - San Francisco, CA
- Peter Smitham: Chairman, The Atlantic Philanthropies - London, UK
- Beverly Winikoff: President, Gynuity Health Projects - New York, NY
PSI works with celebrity ambassadors to raise awareness about the organizations work. Ambassadors have joined PSI staff on international trips to gain a better understanding of PSI's work, testified before Congress to promote increased funding of global health programs, and taken part in many conferences and forums to enhance PSI's visibility. As of 2017 PSI has three celebrity ambassadors including; Ashley Judd, Mandy Moore, and Debra Messing.
The Life You Can Save
PSI is one of a select group of charities endorsed by noted philosopher and Princeton Professor Peter Singer as Highly Effective in the fight against extreme poverty.
Charity evaluator GiveWell first reviewed PSI in 2007, then again in 2009 and then again in 2011. Initially, GiveWell recommended PSI as one of its top charities. However, in its most recent review, GiveWell states that "The evidence we have seen does not clearly show that PSI has the impact it intends" while at the same time praising PSI for "(a) focusing on programs with proven impact and (b) monitoring whether these programs are implemented effectively."
Fast Company review
In 2007 and 2008 PSI was highlighted by Fast Company as a Top Social Capitalist, noting the organization's private sector partnerships with Procter & Gamble and others.
- "Form 990: Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax". Population Services International. Guidestar. December 31, 2013.
- "Board of Directors". Population Services International. Accessed on April 11, 2016.
- "Senior Staff". Population Services International. Accessed on April 11, 2016.
- PSI at a Glance Archived 2010-11-26 at the Wayback Machine, Retrieved on November 16, 2010.
- "Coalition Members". USGLC.
- Photo courtesy of GiveWell.
- "Ambassadors". PSI. 2014-09-16. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "Population Services International (PSI) - 2007 review - GiveWell". www.givewell.org.
- "Population Services International (PSI) - 2009 review - GiveWell". www.givewell.org.
- "PSI - GiveWell". www.givewell.org.
- Elie (7 January 2007). "Recommending Population Services International". The GiveWell Blog.
- [dead link]