Porantha Veeda Puguntha Veeda
|Porantha Veeda Puguntha Veeda|
|Directed by||V. Sekhar|
|Written by||V. Sekhar|
|Screenplay by||V. Sekhar|
|Story by||V. Sekhar|
|Produced by||C. Kannappan|
S. S. Durairaju
|Edited by||A. P. Manivannan|
|Distributed by||Thiruvalluvar Kalaikoodam|
Porantha Veeda Puguntha Veeda (transl. Birth home or in-law's home?) is a 1993 Tamil language comedy-drama film directed by V. Sekhar. The film features Sivakumar and Bhanupriya in the lead roles, with Vadivukkarasi, Goundamani, Kovai Sarala, Senthil, S. S. Chandran and Charle playing supporting roles. The film had musical score by Ilaiyaraaja and was released on 21 May 1993. The film was remade in Telugu as Puttinilla Mettinilla (1994) with Bhanuchander and Madhoo.
Amudha (Bhanupriya) is a hard-working woman who is from a poor family. She has to support her alcoholic father (Kumarimuthu) and three siblings. Whereas Ravi (Sivakumar) is a well-educated man who is from a rich family. His mother Nirmala Devi (Vadivukkarasi) is an arrogant lady who takes her family's prestige very seriously and spends most of the time with her friends, while his father (Goundamani) is an uneducated rustic. He also has a mentally challenged sister Mohana (Kovai Sarala) who is married to a jobless man (Senthil) and has three siblings.
For many years, Ravi was looking for a wife who could take care of him and his family. After seeing the beautiful Amudha, he wants to marry her. His family friend Valluvardasan (S. S. Chandran) decides to help him, he then talks to Amudha's father about this matter. Amudha accepts for the marriage but only under one condition: she would continue to work and help her family. Ravi and Amudha finally get married.
After the marriage, Ravi wants her to look after his big family. Amudha resigns her job without fuss and tries to become a good housewife but Nirmala Devi doesn't miss an opportunity to make fun of Amudha. Later, Amudha's father passes away and Amudha's siblings come to live with them. Nirmala Devi turns Ravi against Amudha, thus Amudha's siblings are humiliated by Nirmala Devi and they leave their house without warning. This incident has broken Amudha's heart. Thereafter, Amudha becomes pregnant. A few weeks later, Amudha finds her siblings in another city, the three worked hard to eat. Amudha decides to bring them at home, during the travel, they meet an accident and Amudha loses the baby. When Ravi comes to know about the miscarriage, Amudha is driven out of their home. What transpires next forms the rest of the story.
- Sivakumar as Ravi
- Bhanupriya as Amudha
- Vadivukkarasi as Nirmala Devi
- Goundamani as Ravi's father
- Kovai Sarala as Mohana
- Senthil as Mohana's husband
- S. S. Chandran as Valluvardasan (guest appearance)
- Charle as Pattinathar
- Master Haja Sheriff as Ravi's brother
- Kumarimuthu as Amudha's father
- Thideer Kannaiah as Veera
- Oru Viral Krishna Rao
- Idichapuli Selvaraj as Doctor
- C. R. Saraswathi
- Mano as himself
- K. S. Jayalakshmi as Lilly
- Radhabai as Kumari Baby
|Porantha Veeda Puguntha Veeda|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||"Thondharavu Pannathinga"||Mano, K. S. Chithra||4:24|
|2||"Amma Pathil Solladi"||S. Janaki||4:35|
|3||"Veettukku Vilakku"||Mano, K. S. Chithra||4:41|
|4||"Chandrigaiyum"||Mano, K. S. Chithra||4:59|
|5||"Pongallo Pongallayya"||Malaysia Vasudevan||5:36|
Malini Mannath of The New Indian Express stated : "Sekhar has once again chosen relevant theme, woven a fairly neat screenplay around it and told his story with humour, warmth and sensitivity" and praised the performances of its lead pair.
- "Porantha Veeda Pouguntha Veeda (1993) Tamil Movie". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Filmography of porantha veeda puguntha veeda". cinesouth.com. Archived from the original on 25 August 2004. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Back to the basics". IndiaGlitz. 7 February 2005. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Director Shekars son a hero". IndiaGlitz. 12 June 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Porantha Veeda Puguntha Veeda songs". play.raaga.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Porantha Veeda Puguntha Veeda (1993)". mio.to. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Malini Mannath (28 May 1993). "Wedded to his family". The Indian Express: 6. Retrieved 12 November 2016.