Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy
|Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy|
Poster of theatrical release
|Directed by||Scott J. Gill|
|Music by||Carvin Knowles|
|Cinematography||Scott J. Gill |
|Edited by||Scott J. Gill|
Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy is a 2001 American documentary film based on the life of porn actor Ron Jeremy. The film is directed and written by Scott J. Gill. The film features Ron Jeremy describing his life and career. It co-stars: Larry Flynt, Adam Rifkin, Seymore Butts, Alisha Klass, Phoebe Dollar, Kenny Dollar, Jenna Jameson, and Troy Duffy. The film is produced by Kirt Eftekhar, and Scott J. Gill under the banner of District Films, Maelstrom Entertainment, and Radius Productions respectively.
Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy was released in 30 November 2001 worldwide and in home media and digital download on 25 March 2003. The film won various award including Best Feature, Audience Award at No Dance Film Festival, and Best Film at Melbourne Underground Film Festival. The film was nominated for "Best Documentary" at Chicago Film Critics Association Awards.
In 1978, Ron Hyatt (now Ron Jeremy) was a teacher who dreamed of some day becoming an actor. One day his girlfriend sent his "nude photo" to Playgirl magazine who published his picture as part of their "Boy Next Door" feature. Later he was asked star in hardcore pornographic film, which he accepted; this would become starting point of his pornographic career. Ron Jeremy became one of biggest male pornographic actors in the adult film industry. He is nicknamed "The Hedgehog" due to "measuring in at 5-foot-6 and 250 pounds, with a bushy moustache and shoulder-length, and greasy black hair".
Credits adapted from Rotten Tomatoes.
In its opening weekend Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy was screened in two theatres, grossing $23,865 with an average of $11,932 per theatre. In its second weekend, the film was screened in seven theatres, grossing $39,011 with an average of $5,573. Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy grossed $421,516 worldwide for its 35 days run in theatres.
On the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 69% based on 48 reviews, with an average rating of 6.11/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Porn Star is both an entertaining and poignant documentary on the life of Ron Jeremy". Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 54 out of 100, based on 18 critics, indicating "Mixed or average reviews".
Michael O'Sullivan writing for The Washington Post, wrote "Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy, a documentary portrait that is as sad as it is funny". Edward Guthmann of San Francisco Chronicle wrote, "Shot over 18 months and edited from 150 hours of footage, "Porn Star" is a lively, ultimately sad portrait that asks a very good question – how can someone who looks as bad as Jeremy be a porn star? – and offers some reasonable answers".
Collin Souter of efilmcritic wrote, "If you only want to see a documentary about a man and his oversized, flesh colored abyss, alien, you could do a lot worse. You will learn a thing or two about his butter churning technique". Jim Sullivan of The Boston Globe wrote, "Gill's take on Jeremy's porn life is neither celebratory nor cautionary. It's the portrait of a porn star as a somewhat complicated man, one who savors basking in the spotlight and doesn't mind what reflection it casts".
|2001||No Dance Film Festival||Best Feature||Won|||
|2002||Melbourne Underground Film Festival||Best Film||Won|||
|Chicago Film Critics Association Awards||Best Documentary||Nominated|||
- Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy (2001), archived from the original on 2019-11-15, retrieved 2019-11-15
- "Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy (2002)". PopMatters. 2003-04-28. Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Snow, Aurora (2017-11-18). "Porn Legend Ron Jeremy Accused of Sexual-Assault by Two Women: 'I Was Scared'". Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Porn Star: The Legend of Ron Jeremy, archived from the original on 2019-11-15, retrieved 2019-11-15
- O'Sullivan, Michael (2002-04-12). "'Porn Star': The Bare Facts". ISSN 0190-8286. Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Guthmann, Edward (2001-12-07). "Real portrait funny, sad in 'Porn Star'". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "Movie Review – Pornstar: The Legend of Ron Jeremy – eFilmCritic". efilmcritic.com. Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "Boston.com / Arts & Entertainment / Movies". Boston Globe. 2002-02-13. Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "No Dance Film Festival (2001)". IMDb. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Fung, Albert (2002-10-03). "3rd Annual Melbourne Underground Film Festival: A Report". Senses of Cinema. Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "Chicago Film Critics Association Awards 2002". MUBI. Archived from the original on 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-15.