Poro town hall
Map of Cebu with Poro highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||5th district of Cebu|
|Founded||17 December 1701|
|Barangay||20 (see § Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Luciano Rama (BAKUD)|
|• Vice mayor||Edgar Rama|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||63.59 km2 (24.55 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|• Voter (2016)||13,790|
|Time zone||PHT (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Income class||4th class|
Poro is a fourth income class municipality on Camotes Islands in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 25,212. In the 2016 election, it had 13,790 registered voters.
Poro comprises 17 barangays:
- Daan Paz (formerly Poso)
- Eastern Poblacion
- Paz (formerly Santa Rosa)
- San Jose
- Santa Rita
- Western Poblacion
|Population census of Poro|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Etymology and languages
The town's name is derived from the Waray-Waray word puro meaning "island". This how Camotes Island is called by Warays and Leyteños. Before the first municipality to be established in Camotes, puro meant the name of all the islands.
Aside from Visayan languages, Filipino, and English, the townsfolk also speak the local Porohanon language. Also known as Camotes Visayan, the language is mutually intelligible with other Visayan languages (e.g. Cebuano) spoken in the rest of the Camotes Islands, Cebu, other parts of the Visayas, and Northern Mindanao.
Porohanon is distinguished by the way the locals substitute /j/ sounds with /ʒ/, for instance Cebuano maayong buntag ("good morning") vocalised as maazong buntag in Porohanon. (Possibly occasions too a handover from the yeísmo phenomenon in Spanish.) Other dialectical variations include the Porohanon ara dira instead of the standard Cebuano na-a diha.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Municipal: Poro, Cebu". PSA. Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- PSA; Census of Population (2015), "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)", Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay, retrieved 20 June 2016
- "2016 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2016.
- PSA; Census of Population (2010), "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)", Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay, retrieved 29 June 2016
- NSO; Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007), "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)", Total Population by Province, City and Municipality, archived from the original on 24 June 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poro.|
|This article about a location in Central Visayas region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|