Poro town hall
Map of Cebu with Poro highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||5th district of Cebu|
|Founded||17 December 1701|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Luciano Rama (BAKUD)|
|• Vice mayor||Edgar Rama|
|• Town Council|
|• Representative||Red Durano|
|• Total||63.59 km2 (24.55 sq mi)|
|Elevation||26 m (85 ft)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|• Voter (2016)||13,790|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+08:00)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Income class||4th class|
|Climate type||tropical rainforest climate|
Poro is a 4th municipal income class municipality on Camotes Islands in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 25,212. In the 2016 electoral roll, it had 13,790 registered voters.
Poro comprises 17 barangays:
Etymology and languages
The town's name is derived from the Waray-Waray word puro meaning "island". This how Camotes Island is called by Warays and Leyteños. Before the first municipality to be established in Camotes, puro meant the name of all the islands.
Aside from Cebuano, Waray, Tagalog, and English, the townsfolk also speak the local Porohanon language. Also known as Camotes Visayan, the language is mutually intelligible with other Visayan languages (e.g. Cebuano) spoken in the rest of the Camotes Islands, Cebu, other parts of the Visayas, and Northern Mindanao.
The town is home to the Porohanon language, one of the most endangered languages in the Visayas. The language is only used in the Poro islands. The language is classified as distinct from Sebwano (Bisaya) by the Komisyon ng Wikang Filipino and is vital to the culture and arts of the Porohanon people. Porohanon is distinguished by the way the locals substitute /j/ sounds with /ʒ/, for instance Cebuano maayong buntag ("good morning") vocalised as maazong buntag in Porohanon. (Possibly occasions too a handover from the yeísmo phenomenon in Spanish.) Other dialectical variations include the Porohanon ara dira instead of the standard Cebuano na-a diha.
- "Province: Cebu". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "2016 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- The Freeman, Clarence Paul Oaminal (30 April 1962) . "Macapagal visited Cebu months after the elections in 1961". Archived from the original on 15 August 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poro.|