Port Cities (band)
|Origin||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Associated acts||Gordie Sampson, Donovan Woods, Andrew Austin, Neon Dreams, Ria Mae, Mo Kenney|
|Members||Dylan Guthro, Breagh MacKinnon, Carleton Stone|
Port Cities is a Canadian band based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Formed in 2015, Port Cities is composed of Dylan Guthro, Breagh MacKinnon, and Carleton Stone —each already a singer/songwriter with an established solo career. The band signed with turtlemusik/Warner Music in 2016 and released its debut album in 2017.
Guthro, Mackinnon, and Stone met in 2011 at the Gordie Sampson Song Camp, an annual event in Cape Breton that gathers promising songwriters from across Nova Scotia. There they formed a three-way friendship that soon led to various collaborations in the context of their individual musical lives. Eventually they were writing and playing together often enough that the idea of forming a band arose naturally.
"We just thought, there’s such a great chemistry between us, why not try to join forces and do something that’s bigger that any of us could do on our own?” said Carelton Stone in a 2015 interview.
Port Cities officially launched in 2015. In 2016, the band was signed to turtlemusik/Warner Music; their debut album was released in February 2017.
As individual musicians, the three members of Port Cities had collectively released six solo albums prior to the band's first release. As a group they write songs to take advantage of each member's strength and experience as a vocalist, often employing two- and three-part harmonies in their music.
In 2016, Port Cities won Casino Nova Scotia's third annual Artist in Residence competition, which awarded them $20,000 to assist them in their ongoing musical development.
- Dylan Guthro (vocals, guitar, programming)
- Breagh MacKinnon (vocals, keyboards)
- Carleton Stone (vocals, guitar)
- "Port Cities" (2017)
Awards and achievements
- CBC Radio 2 2017 Charts Most Online Votes - #14 “In The Dark”
- CBC Radio 2 2017 Charts #1 songs of 2017 - #14 “Back to the Bottom”
- Music Nova Scotia Award Winner Best Album - "Port Cities"
- Music Nova Scotia Award Winner Best Group Album - "Port Cities"
- Music Nova Scotia Award Winner Best Pop Album - "Port Cities"
- Music Nova Scotia Award Winner Entertainer of the Year
- Music Nova Scotia Award Winner Digital Artist of the Year
- Music Nova Scotia Award Nominee Video of the Year - "Trouble" (With Dave Sampson)
- SOCAN #1 Award - Back to the Bottom
- #1 CBC Radio Top 20 (February 23, 2017) - Back to the Bottom
- #1 Spotify Canada “Viral 50” Chart - Back to the Bottom
- Voted The Coast “Best of Halifax” - Best Music Video - “Astronaut” (Gold)
- Voted The Coast “Best of Halifax” - Best Artist / Band Most Likely To Make It Big (Silver)
- Voted The Coast “Best of Halifax” - Best Pop Artist/Band (Silver)
- Voted The Coast “Best of Halifax” - Best New Artist / Band (Bronze)
- "Port Cities". www.thechronicleherald.ca. Halifax, Nova Scotia: The Chronicle Herald. July 17, 2015.
- "Port Cities features 3 friends with great vocal blend". www.cbc.ca. Ottawa, Ontario: CBC/Radio Canada. August 16, 2016.
- Thompson, Aly (January 14, 2015). "Halifax musicians put solo careers aside, join forces for new band 'Port Cities'". www.metronews.ca. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Halifax Metro News.
- Dingwell, Rebecca (August 4, 2016). "Tunes at our 'fingertips': Halifax musician Dylan Guthro spotted on streaming chart". www.metronews.ca. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Halifax Metro News.