Port Loko District
|Port Loko District|
Location of Port Loko District in Sierra Leone
|• Type||District Council|
|• District Council Chairman||Ahmed Munir Fofana (APC)|
|• Deputy District Council Chairman||Ibrahim Santigie Bangura (APC)|
|• Total||5,719 km2 (2,208 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC-5)|
Port Loko District is a district in the Northern Province of Sierra Leone. It is the most populous District in the North and the second most populous District in Sierra Leone, after the Western Area Urban District. As of the 2015 census, Port Loko District has a population of 614,063. The district capital is the town of Port Loko and its largest city is Lunsar. The other major towns in the district include Masiaka, Rokupr, Pepel, Lungi and Gbinti.
The district of Port Loko borders the Western Area to the west, Kambia District to the north, Bombali District to the east and Tonkolili District to the south. The district occupies a total area of 5,719 km2 (2,208 sq mi) and comprises eleven chiefdoms. The population of Port Loko District is predominantly Muslim and the Temne people form by far the largest ethnic group in the district.
At a local level Port Loko District is governed by a district council. The council is headed by a District Council Chairman who is elected directly by the residents of Port Loko District. In the 2008 Sierra Leone Local Elections Ahmed Munir Fofana of the All People's Congress (APC) was elected to the position.
The district is made up of eleven chiefdoms as the third level of administrative subdivision.
Small towns and villages
The district's main economic activities include scale mining and production of food crops(rice, cassava, and sweet potato).
Port Loko District currently has 11 representatives in the Sierra Leonean Parliament, of which ten were elected for a 5-year term. Below is the list of Port Loko District representatives in the Parliament:
- Lamin Bai Sama, Paramount Chief of Port Loko District
- Ibrahim Bundu,majority leader of parliament (APC)
- Alhaji Buya Kamara (APC)
- Abu Bakarr Koroma (APC)
- Alhaji Serray Dumbuya (APC)
- Abie Kalokoh (APC)
- Sheriff .B.Hassan (APC)
- Nicholas Kamara (APC)
- Benneh Bangura (APC)
- Kombor Kamara (APC)
- Saidu Babah Kamara (APC)
Notable people from Port Loko District
- Bai Bureh, Sierra Leonean ruler who led the Temne uprising against the British in The 1898 Rebellion
- Sorie Ibrahim Koroma, Vice President of Sierra Leone from 1971 to 1985
- Abass Bundu, Sierra Leonean Politician
- Ibrahim Kemoh Sesay, Former Sierra Leone's minister of Transportation and Aviation
- Amadu Wurie, Sierra Leonean Educationist and Politician
- Pratt, Regina (1 April 2016). "Sierra Leone: 'Sierra Leone Population Is Now Over Seven Million'". Retrieved 10 October 2016 – via AllAfrica.