Port Melbourne Colts Football Club
|Port Melbourne Colts|
|Full name||Port Melbourne Colts Football Club|
|Competition||Southern Football League (since 2016)|
|Premierships||1990, 1998, 1999, 2005, 2006|
|Ground(s)||JL Murphy Reserve, Port Melbourne |
The Club first came into being in 1957.
It was put together by three men, Alex James, Brian " Moppa " McBroom and John Berti. It all started when a group of young men had been playing in the YCW competition, at under 18 level, and having won the Premiership, wanted to stay together after they turned 18.
They then decided to play for a club named, Middle Park YCW, which in fact was the first year of our Club, it was called Middle Park Colts. As just about everyone who played for the team came from Port Melbourne the name was changed in 1958 to Port Colts, and the team commenced to playing at The Lagoon Oval in Graham Street, where we it remained for several years, until finally moving to our present home at Murphy Reserve in the late 60's.
The club originally played in the Sunday Suburban Football League, then the Melbourne Amateur Sunday Football Association. With the demise of the local football Sunday competitions, the Club turned to Saturdays and entered the Metropolitan Football League in 1969, where it remained for 6 years.
The Club then went into the Southern Football League for a few years, then to the Western Suburban League, which then merged with our present competition which was called the Footscray District League at the time, and is now the Western Region Football League.
The Club originally started with just the one open-age team, until 1972, when the Reserves were added, and then in 1975 the juniors commenced, and have continued to the present day, we now have junior teams from under tens through to senior level.
- Sunday Suburban Football League 1957-1960
- Melbourne Amateur Sunday Football Association 1961-1968
- Metropolitan Football League 1969-1974
- South East Suburban Football League 1975-1980
- West Suburban Football League 1981-1983
- Footscray District League 1984-1999
- Western Region Football League 2000-2015
- Southern Football Netball League 2016-
- Sunday Suburban = 1960
- Metropolitan = 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973
- South East Suburban = 1975 (Division 2)
- West Suburban = 1981 (Division 2)
- Footscray District/Western Region Div 1 = 1998, 1999, 2005, 2006
- Div 2 = 1990
- Southern Football & Netball League Div 2 = 2016